In-ceiling surround/Atmos speakers (7.2.4) - Floor Plan included

aarodynamics

aarodynamics

Enthusiast
I moved into a new house and am designing a non-dedicated home theater space and could really use some help.

I've had the luxury in past houses of rooms where it was easy for me to determine speaker placement with either standard, on-wall, or in-wall speakers.

In the new home theater I'm struggling with there not being optimal locations to place surround speakers aside from the ceiling.

I currently have a 3.2 setup that consists of:
  • Marantz AV7703 Pre/Pro
  • Emotiva XPA 9-channel amp
    • Bi-amp Left/Right
    • Center
  • Emotiva BassX 5-channel amp
    • Future Use
  • Left/Right Towers: B&W CM8
  • Center Channel: B&W CM Centre
  • Left/Right Sub: SVS SB16-Ultra
Proposed additions:
  • 2x B&W In-ceiling Side Surround
    • Powered by XPA amp
  • 2x B&W In-ceiling Back Surround
    • Powered by XPA amp
  • 4x B&W In-ceiling Atmos
    • Powered by BassX amp
My question is ultimately this... Am I still going to get an ideal experience with all the surround/Atmos speakers being in the ceiling?

Additionally, does anyone have any advice on speakers to go with or considerations to make while installing the new speakers?

Here's the floor plan (red = Atmos, blue = surround):
floor_plan.jpg

Here's a picture of the room:
room.jpg

Thank you!

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Looks like a nice room. Unfortunately, the answer to your main question is no. You will not get a good atmos experience with all of them in the ceiling. Since atmos(oversimplified) phantom images 3D sounds into the room, it needs the height differential to make this happen. I would put bed speakers on stands for sides and rears, however that may not be practical, so you’ll have to weigh that out for yourself.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I moved into a new house and am designing a non-dedicated home theater space and could really use some help.

I've had the luxury in past houses of rooms where it was easy for me to determine speaker placement with either standard, on-wall, or in-wall speakers.

In the new home theater I'm struggling with there not being optimal locations to place surround speakers aside from the ceiling.

I currently have a 3.2 setup that consists of:
  • Marantz AV7703 Pre/Pro
  • Emotiva XPA 9-channel amp
    • Bi-amp Left/Right
    • Center
  • Emotiva BassX 5-channel amp
    • Future Use
  • Left/Right Towers: B&W CM8
  • Center Channel: B&W CM Centre
  • Left/Right Sub: SVS SB16-Ultra
Proposed additions:
  • 2x B&W In-ceiling Side Surround