In-Ceiling Speaker Suggestions

Y

Yovwmon

Enthusiast
I’ve been on the lookout for new or used wall or ceiling mount Boston VR speakers but having minimal luck. I’m in search of four Atmos speakers to ceiling mount and match with my VR950’s. At this point it seems that Boston is being phased out after acquisition and I’m now wondering if there is something new that will pair-up nicely. I’m not expecting my VR950’s to last forever so whatever goes on the ceiling I’m expecting to carry me through years to come. I’d like to hear budget options as well as non-budget options.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I’m in search of four Atmos speakers to ceiling mount and match with my VR950’s. …. I’d like to hear budget options as well as non-budget options.
Welcome Yovwmon,

I wouldn't be concerned at all about missing out on the Boston inceiling...tonal matching is not going to be very important for Atmos playback. It's sound effects...more than anything you do want good dispersion and good spl. If the ceiling is higher than 8', I would go with 8" speakers vs 6".

Budget...Polk RC80i...4 will cost you $600.00...I use these in my 5.2.4 system, I'm pleased. The RSL speaker is a good option also...

Non budget...I use some Noble Fidelity 8" speakers in my whole house system...amazing performance for inceiling...these were $800 a pr....I've heard others such as Paradigm, B&W, Triad that are as good or better, but I don't think I would use any of them for Atmos.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
YeH I agree with 2ch. For Atmos speakers I don’t think timbre matching is a big deal. He mentioned the rc80 by Polk. I have a pair of rc85i in one if my rooms and they are a great budget option. In my Atmos theater, I used the RSL c34e’s and they are excellent.

olddog

olddog

Audioholic
I did a lot of shopping when I was building a new house. RSL is what I got and could not be happier. 125.00 each

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Canton on accessories for less. For $199 a pair you’ll get something that sounds like $800 a pair.

literally unbeaten

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Canton on accessories for less. For $199 a pair you’ll get something that sounds like $800 a pair.

literally unbeaten
could you comment on your experience with cantons ? I am considering those or the RSLs.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Imagine getting a $800-1000 pair of high end in ceiling speakers. Like Bowers, monitor audio or paradigm. These are better for $200-300

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Thanks I’m considering those or the RSL speakers everyone speaks well of. I don’t know either way

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis