In-Ceiling Speaker Configuration

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
So in my Family Room I have 4 in-ceiling speakers that were pre-wired by my builder (10’ HT Ceiling). I sit about 15’ from the front wall. I use a passive L/C/R speaker for my front soundstage. Two of the in-ceiling speakers are right above where I sit, L and R. The other two are about halfway between the front wall and the rear in-ceiling speakers. Here is my question:

I currently have the rear in-ceiling speakers wired and set on my AVR as rear surrounds and the front in-ceiling speakers wired and set on my AVR as Atmos speakers giving me a 5.2.2 set up. In a recent forum discussion it was mentioned that may not be the best configuration due to the rear surrounds and Atmos speakers both in-ceiling essentially cancelling themselves out. Would I be better off doing a 7.2 instead or is there another configuration I should try?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hmm. Must think about this. For starters if you only have 5 beds, the surrounds should be connected to the surround R/L outputs, NOT rear surround. Those are for a 7.x.x system. You’re right though, surrounds and Atmos on the same plane isn’t very effective. Can you use ear level surrounds?

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
No I can’t. The kitchen is open behiNd the listening area and WAF won’t allow for stands.

I do have the rear pair plugged into Surround L/R, not as I initially described.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis