In-ceiling & On-wall speakers

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
It's time to really start doing the research to take my 5.2.2 setup to a 7.2.4 system. My room isn't huge- 16x11x9?(see pics)/~1900cu.ft. Before going any further: I will be applying acoustic treatments to the walls and ceiling, and putting true blackout curtains over the windows.

So, not wanting to overload the room with On-wall or satellites, or elevation speakers, I'm looking at "in's". My usage is about 50/50, with a lot of the video usage being concert DVD/streams, and I prefer Auro/multi-channel for music.

So the questions: 1) am I crazy for wanting to go this direction; 2) is there a minimum size driver I should be looking at (4.5", 6", 8"); 3) how important is the fidelity of the sound reproduction (basically trying to determine what I can expect cost-wise); and, 4) do I need to find something tonally close to my Emotivas up front given my music usage?

I'm not opposed to piecing it together over time if it's important, as I'm looking at having to get 8 speakers total, but it'd be great to get everything for ~$500 as the installation of the in-ceilings will need to be done by a pro (I'll knock out the in-walls.

Suggestions? Thanks folks!

Attachments

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
1) Am I crazy for wanting to go this direction;
- Yes, but aren't we all!
- Given the room size, I am not convinced 7.2.4 will be much more effective than 7.2.2. You may want to consider 7.2.2 to stretch the budget into better speakers.

2) Is there a minimum size driver I should be looking at (4.5", 6", 8");
- IMHO 6" is a solid minimum.

3) How important is the fidelity of the sound reproduction.
- For multi-channel music more so than HT. How much fidelity is really needed for helicopter over-flight sounds?

4) Do I need to find something tonally close to my Emotivas up front given my music usage?
- Preferred if you are a very serious multichannel music aficionado (i.e. multi-ch SACD), but for normal use, not so much.

FWIW: If you have decent attic access, in-ceiling installs are only a slight bit harder than in-walls.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I went with an all in-wall/in-ceiling setup for my 7.1.4 setup and regret nothing. It sounds excellent, but I do have some work to do tweaking some things, but no time to do it.

I would try to get something tone matched or as close as possible or multi channel music may suffer. There are tons of great brands out there, but Monoprice has some good in-wall/in-ceiling offerings for low cost. I tried a set of their ribbon in-walls and was impressed with their sound for the low price point.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
1) Am I crazy for wanting to go this direction;
- Yes, but aren't we all!
- Given the room size, I am not convinced 7.2.4 will be much more effective than 7.2.2. You may want to consider 7.2.2 to stretch the budget into better speakers.

2) Is there a minimum size driver I should be looking at (4.5", 6", 8");
- IMHO 6" is a solid minimum.

3) How important is the fidelity of the sound reproduction.
- For multi-channel music more so than HT. How much fidelity is really needed for helicopter over-flight sounds?

4) Do I need to find something tonally close to my Emotivas up front given my music usage?
- Preferred if you are a very serious multichannel music aficionado (i.e. multi-ch SACD), but for normal use, not so much.

FWIW: If you have decent attic access, in-ceiling installs are only a slight bit harder than in-walls.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

I'm not using SACD, just 320k streaming, which is good enough for me. Finding in-ceilings/in-walls with ribbon/AMT tweeters is seemingly like trying to find a white buffalo. Any suggestions?

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
I'm not using SACD, just 320k streaming, which is good enough for me. Finding in-ceilings/in-walls with ribbon/AMT tweeters is seemingly like trying to find a white buffalo. Any suggestions?
Listen carefully for "Tatanka"
(old movie reference)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think monoprice has one. People seem to like them.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I think monoprice has one. People seem to like them.
Found them- took me looking twice. They do definitely look interesting. I'm pretty curious about how big a difference a carbon fiber vs an aluminum woofer makes.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Found them- took me looking twice. They do definitely look interesting. I'm pretty curious about how big a difference a carbon fiber vs an aluminum woofer makes.
Woofer material shouldn’t make much I’d any difference in that application. Not related, it I think Rythmik is testing carbon fiber cones!

I did consider the monoprice ribbons, but ultimately chose RSL c34e’s for my Atmos install. There are a lot of considerations for driver material but as far as I can tell, the biggest thing is high volumes and break up modes. Speaker design has been mature for some time and so long as a driver can stay rigid and composed, I don’t know that materials will change the signature that much. I know if we split hairs, we could find some differences, probably more theoretical than anything though. JBL for example has used the same polyplas paper based woofers for at least forever and it still works. Aluminum seems good, but I think break up modes occur lower so the XO has to be selected more carefully. These are just layman’s observations so I’ll happily step aside and let someone else talk about materials. Lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis