In-Ceiling Atmos Speakers

John Robb

John Robb

Enthusiast
I am looking to replace an older pair in-ceiling speakers and add a 2nd pair to complete my 5.1.4 setup.

I have all Definitive Technology speakers currently and I understand the desire to have all the same brand for seamless transitions.

However, looking at all these Atmos enabled speakers with little 3”-4” drivers I’m trying to justify spending $400/pair on Definitive’s vs $200/pair on Polk’s or even cheaper Monoprice Alpha’s.

I’m probably selling my house in less than 2 years and will leave the speakers when I sell.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I am just completing my 7.2.4 setup and I purchased Polks for the Atmos Speakers, and so far they sound just fine for the effects, but I've only listened to Black Panther in Atmos so far. My logic is to try them out and if I decide they aren't good enough, I'll just upgrade down the road. I got a smokin' deal on them from Fry's last Black Friday.

I'd do the same in your position, especially if I was planning to move in 2 years. I'd be auditioning them for the next place.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
Hello,
Using the same brand speakers all the way around and above is absolutely ideal but with todays receivers and calibration tools you can get different brands to work together.
Now for the front 3 speakers I absolutely do not agree with using different brands. They are in your face and even with calibration software you can and most likely notice a difference in tonal balance and be distracted by the differences. Watching movies or TV programs you don't want this.
Surround and Atmos speakers you can get away with this as long as they are similar in tone. Def Tech and polk share some qualities in tonal balance. Def Tech speakers seem to always be a higher end version of what Polk produces. With that being said I think going with Polk in ceiling speakers to save some money is fine. I don't think you'll notice the differences as much especially if you run a Auto calibration software.

Just to justify my words I did almost the same exact thing for my room. Not to save money but I had to solve an issue that my ceiling has. One side of my room the ceiling slants down on a I'd say a 45 degree angle. The rest of it is flat. So how I solved that issue I use 1 point designed speaker and one regular in ceiling speaker. I also have Defiinitve Technology main channel and surround speakers but my Atmos speakers are made by Eposide which is a custom company for Intergrators. These speakers are fantastic on their own. Very smooth sounding and super surprising on how damn good they are. I have the Signature series 1700.
I also have a Sony STRZ5000es receiver with very good calibration tools so after a full calibration with my Atmos speakers they blend in very nicely and I can't tell they are of a different brand. I was actually shocked when I put them in and how well the Sony tone matched them to my main speakers It's an option in the calibration setup. I'm impressed as before I did the calibration you could hear slight differences in how they sounded vs the def Techs.

Good luck my friend.

John Robb

John Robb

Enthusiast
Hello,
Using the same brand speakers all the way around and above is absolutely ideal but with todays receivers and calibration tools you can get different brands to work together.
Now for the front 3 speakers I absolutely do not agree with using different brands. They are in your face and even with calibration software you can and most likely notice a difference in tonal balance and be distracted by the differences. Watching movies or TV programs you don't want this.
Surround and Atmos speakers you can get away with this as long as they are similar in tone. Def Tech and polk share some qualities in tonal balance. Def Tech speakers seem to always be a higher end version of what Polk produces. With that being said I think going with Polk in ceiling speakers to save some money is fine. I don't think you'll notice the differences as much especially if you run a Auto calibration software.

Just to justify my words I did almost the same exact thing for my room. Not to save money but I had to solve an issue that my ceiling has. One side of my room the ceiling slants down on a I'd say a 45 degree angle. The rest of it is flat. So how I solved that issue I use 1 point designed speaker and one regular in ceiling speaker. I also have Defiinitve Technology main channel and surround speakers but my Atmos speakers are made by Eposide which is a custom company for Intergrators. These speakers are fantastic on their own. Very smooth sounding and super surprising on how damn good they are. I have the Signature series 1700.
I also have a Sony STRZ5000es receiver with very good calibration tools so after a full calibration with my Atmos speakers they blend in very nicely and I can't tell they are of a different brand. I was actually shocked when I put them in and how well the Sony tone matched them to my main speakers It's an option in the calibration setup. I'm impressed as before I did the calibration you could hear slight differences in how they sounded vs the def Techs.

Good luck my friend.
Thanks - good info!

I just picked up a Marantz SR6012 and had a similar thought about Audyssey and that it would help even out the sound of the speakers. With the app I can adjust and dial in the EQ curve significantly.

I have older Definitive SM350’s as my mains, a CLR2300 for my center, a SuperCube II, and DT8LCR’s as my rears (I just added the DT8’s).

My original rears are a pair of Definitive DCS6’s in the ceiling, which are stereo 6.5” that look like bipolar speakers, but are 2 separate channels. I need to fill those holes with speakers and add a 2nd pair to get my .4 - the cutout size is my determining factor.

Since I know I will be leaving them when I sell, I would love to spend $150 for all 4 at Monoprice, but that seems too cheap to be viable to me (and costs less than my speaker wire ).

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
I'd get the polks man, they will be closer in performance to your Def Tech's.

John Robb

John Robb

Enthusiast
I just found some Definitives online for $129 each so I think I need to go that way. I’d Still rather spend less, but since they are just a little more than the Polks, and I know they will sound and look awesome, that seems like the way to go.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Keeping the same brand can make people feel better. :D

They don't make 8" ceiling speakers?

I'm going with ceiling ATMOS speakers with 1" aluminum tweeters and 8" aluminum woofers.

John Robb

John Robb

Enthusiast

I'm going with ceiling ATMOS speakers with 1" aluminum tweeters and 8" aluminum woofers.
I don’t think 8” drivers are necessary for Atmos effects, but when I build my new house that’s probably what I will use.

I’m trying to spend the minimum in his house since I will be leaving them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don’t think 8” drivers are necessary for Atmos effects, but when I build my new house that’s probably what I will use.

I’m trying to spend the minimum in his house since I will be leaving them.
In this hobby, it's not about necessity, but rather about desire and preference. ;)

When you have 14' ceilings or higher, bigger, more efficient and dynamic ceiling speakers are a welcome. :D

John Robb

John Robb

Enthusiast
In this hobby, it's not about necessity, but rather about desire and preference. ;)

When you have 14' ceilings or higher, bigger, more efficient and dynamic ceiling speakers are a welcome. :D
I hear that - just knowing I’m going to leave these in a couple years is keeping the wallet closed a little tighter.

I have 12’ ceilings now.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I hear that - just knowing I’m going to leave these in a couple years is keeping the wallet closed a little tighter.

I have 12’ ceilings now.

I think 2 years will unfortunately fly by way too fast like always.

I wouldn't even spend any money on ceiling speakers if I were moving in 2 years. I would save that money for the next house.

If your next house is custom, definitely make sure it's 12' or higher. :D

John Robb

John Robb

Enthusiast
I think 2 years will unfortunately fly by way too fast like always.

I wouldn't even spend any money on ceiling speakers if I were moving in 2 years. I would save that money for the next house.

If your next house is custom, definitely make sure it's 12' or higher. :D
It will be custom and the ceilings will be at least 12’ - 14’ would be my preference.

2 years will fly by, which is why I really only want to spend $50 each on Monoprice speakers that I can leave and not care about it. That’s like going to the movies 4 times

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
BTW, the Audio Engineering Society published formulas (room ratios) for the best room acoustics.

One room ratio (which I used) is 1H: 1.57W: 1.87L.

So the dimensions of the room is dependent on the ceiling height.

Since my room's ceiling height is 14', the width became 22' and length became 26'. :D

There are other ratios also, so you might want to Google that. It was 2 years ago when I looked into it.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I am looking to replace an older pair in-ceiling speakers and add a 2nd pair to complete my 5.1.4 setup.

I have all Definitive Technology speakers currently and I understand the desire to have all the same brand for seamless transitions.

However, looking at all these Atmos enabled speakers with little 3”-4” drivers I’m trying to justify spending $400/pair on Definitive’s vs $200/pair on Polk’s or even cheaper Monoprice Alpha’s.

I’m probably selling my house in less than 2 years and will leave the speakers when I sell.

Thanks!

I'm running a 5.2.4 system...the atmos speakers are fairly inexpensive Polks inceiling….I wouldn't be concerned at all with them not being the same brand as my fronts.

Last edited:
Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic

I'm trying to figure out your comment. What are you implying here?

John Robb

John Robb

Enthusiast
I went with some Polk V65’s - I think those should work just fine, and for the price it’s hard to complain.

Thanks!

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Since OP has found his speakers, can I hyjack and ask the same question? I'm not sure how to approach which in-ceilings to get when my 7 speaker system is already mismatched as is. I have PSA 210s up front and older infinity beta sr250s for surrounds. I've been spending a small fortune lately and would like to go cheap on the atmos speakers.

I've kinda narrowed it down between Polk mc80's (I have some of these in another room and they sound pretty decent)

Or

I'm kinda interested in some monoprice speakers. I like these because their already black (ceiling is black) and they have a back cover built into them. And theyre cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Surround-Ceiling-Speaker-115699/dp/B01LWMBMSG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1534429354&sr=8-9&keywords=monoprice+in+ceiling

Any thoughts? Also for a room thats 22x17 is an 8" speaker over kill? Would there be much of a difference over 6.5"?

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
Since OP has found his speakers, can I hyjack and ask the same question? I'm not sure how to approach which in-ceilings to get when my 7 speaker system is already mismatched as is. I have PSA 210s up front and older infinity beta sr250s for surrounds. I've been spending a small fortune lately and would like to go cheap on the atmos speakers.

I've kinda narrowed it down between Polk mc80's (I have some of these in another room and they sound pretty decent)

Or

I'm kinda interested in some monoprice speakers. I like these because their already black (ceiling is black) and they have a back cover built into them. And theyre cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Surround-Ceiling-Speaker-115699/dp/B01LWMBMSG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1534429354&sr=8-9&keywords=monoprice+in+ceiling

Any thoughts? Also for a room thats 22x17 is an 8" speaker over kill? Would there be much of a difference over 6.5"?
If your trying to do it on the cheap, I'd go for the Monoprice models. By the way the grill cover is white, not black. What your looking at is the speaker that goes into the ceiling.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

So you are going go the ATMOS route, didn't see that one coming. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis