Improving streaming audio quality

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yep after watching that cartoon I'll stick with the A-S501. So don't even bother with using the A-S501 internal DAC? Just keep using the CCA one?
Since you already have the A-S501, I won't tell you not to try but I would stick with facts, that is:

A-S501 has a very mediocre DAC IC, with specs well below the typical <$100 (or even less) dongle type ext. DACs
It has the PCM5101 IC, the important specs of that IC such as distortion and noise (SINAD) and SNR/DR are, from the data sheet:
PCM510xA 2.1 VRMS, 112/106/100 dB Audio Stereo DAC with PLL and 32-bit, 384 kHz PCM Interface datasheet (Rev. C) (ti.com)

1638974054823.png

The Chromecast audio reportedly has the AK4430 IC and have been confirmed in a teardown:
Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Google Chromecast Audio - Part I: Analogue Output
Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Google Chromecast Audio - Part II: Digital Output

The first link has a link to the teardown if you want to see it.

Otherwise take a look of the AK4430's specs:
AK4430 pdf, AK4430 description, AK4430 datasheets, AK4430 view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

1638975421589.png

You can see that the two are virtually equal in THD+N and DR so in theory there is nothing to gain to go through the trouble of some extra connections. I would just use the analog output with the A-S501and enjoy..

If you search for high quality audiophile music, or something like that you will find all kinds of very good quality recordings and you may be surprise how good MP3 320 kbps can sound compared the 24bit 96 kHz flacs or waves.

Dali test disc 1-Audiophile heaven- Losless music-High fidelity music - YouTube
Best of Wendy Compilation Part 1- The Maestro & The European Pop Orchestra (Live Music Video) - YouTube

Obviously there will be commercials unless you have You-tube premium.

Attachments

Q

qba

Audioholic
Since you already have the A-S501, I won't tell you not to try but I would stick with facts, that is:

A-S501 has a very mediocre DAC IC, with specs well below the typical <$100 (or even less) dongle type ext. DACs
It has the PCM5101 IC, the important specs of that IC such as distortion and noise (SINAD) and SNR/DR are, from the data sheet:
PCM510xA 2.1 VRMS, 112/106/100 dB Audio Stereo DAC with PLL and 32-bit, 384 kHz PCM Interface datasheet (Rev. C) (ti.com)

View attachment 52079

The Chromecast audio reportedly has the AK4430 IC and have been confirmed in a teardown:
Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Google Chromecast Audio - Part I: Analogue Output
Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Google Chromecast Audio - Part II: Digital Output

The first link has a link to the teardown if you want to see it.

Otherwise take a look of the AK4430's specs:
AK4430 pdf, AK4430 description, AK4430 datasheets, AK4430 view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

View attachment 52082
You can see that the two are virtually equal in THD+N and DR so in theory there is nothing to gain to go through the trouble of some extra connections. I would just use the analog output with the A-S501and enjoy..
Thanks a lot PENG for such a mountain of valuable information! so pretty much just stick with what I have and keep using the Chromecast Audio DAC.

If you search for high quality audiophile music, or something like that you will find all kinds of very good quality recordings and you may be surprise how good MP3 320 kbps can sound compared the 24bit 96 kHz flacs or waves.

Dali test disc 1-Audiophile heaven- Losless music-High fidelity music - YouTube
Best of Wendy Compilation Part 1- The Maestro & The European Pop Orchestra (Live Music Video) - YouTube

Obviously there will be commercials unless you have You-tube premium.
I'm already a Youtube Premium subscriber, so Youtube Music Premium is included :)

Thanks a lot for those youtube music Hi-Res libraries, I'm subscribing to them today :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks a lot PENG for such a mountain of valuable information! so pretty much just stick with what I have and keep using the Chromecast Audio DAC.

I'm already a Youtube Premium subscriber, so Youtube Music Premium is included :)

Thanks a lot for those youtube music Hi-Res libraries, I'm subscribing to them today :)
You are welcome. I thought I saw your other thread about whether to keep the R-S300 or A-S801. If the A-S801 is in top condition, then of course it is a better amp. I wouldn't buy it brand new for the price but if you are getting it used, for less than $300 then it may be good. Otherwise you will be better off getting a 350/500 W rated 8/4 ohms class D power amp for about $650 brand new from buckeye amp. That Hypex amp is ridiculously powerful and accurate for the price, and its bench test measurements are better than the A-S801 in order of magnitude.

The A-S801 is an integrated amp so if you want to have most of what you need in one box then it is good. A separate power amp would mean you need an external DAC (such as your CCA) and/or a preamp, headphone/preamp etc., that could set you back another $100 to $200. That's an affordable price to join the "separates" club though.:D

Q

qba

Audioholic
You are welcome. I thought I saw your other thread about whether to keep the R-S300 or A-S801. If the A-S801 is in top condition, then of course it is a better amp. I wouldn't buy it brand new for the price but if you are getting it used, for less than $300 then it may be good. Otherwise you will be better off getting a 350/500 W rated 8/4 ohms class D power amp for about $650 brand new from buckeye amp. That Hypex amp is ridiculously powerful and accurate for the price, and its bench test measurements are better than the A-S801 in order of magnitude.

The A-S801 is an integrated amp so if you want to have most of what you need in one box then it is good. A separate power amp would mean you need an external DAC (such as your CCA) and/or a preamp, headphone/preamp etc., that could set you back another $100 to $200. That's an affordable price to join the "separates" club though.:D
lol That was a typo I corrected, I wish I own the 801, I only have the 501 :)

I paid $180 for the R-S300 and $340 for the A-S501

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I promise this is the last question, for whatever reason, long story I ended up buying two

lol That was a typo I corrected, I wish I own the 801, I only have the 501 :)
That's okay, imo it is actually a good thing that you don't have the 801, because you would have paid more for less.:) The A-S501 is still a better amp than the R-S300. Whether it is worth paying $160 more for it would depend on your actual power need. You can figure that out with an online calculator.

Peak SPL Calculator (hometheaterengineering.com)
Crown Audio - Professional Power Amplifiers

The R-S700, if you can find one used, would be a good purchase and it is a better amp than the A-S801 from the "purist" stand point. For a feature rich two channel receiver/integrated, the R-N803 would be a better value than the A-S801.

I really have no idea why Yamaha bothered making the A-S701 and A-S801. Audiophiles who know what's inside would despise them and would much prefer the A-S700. Non audiophiles would do well with the more affordable R-N803.

Q

qba

Audioholic
PENG I'm blown away by the quality of those songs you suggested me wow!!!

Now I'm have being searching in youtube music for Hi-Res and getting a lot of very good-sounding music for all types of genres. thanks again!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis