Important and Vital Information about the New HDMI 2.1a Specifications and the Power Port

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It came to my attention yesterday, that a new HDMI 2.1 specification was introduced recently. I have not seen this commented upon here.
The most significant change I think, is that it is also allows the HDMI port to be what they term a "Power Port". This enables the 5 volt pin 18 of an HDMI output to power and active cable like Ruipro hybrid cables for instance, to be powered by these Power Ports without needing a voltage inserter. Ruipro cables take 250 ma. These power ports can provide up to 300 ma.

I also understand that there my be devices like a TV for instance that may take advantage of this capability, so purchasers will have another issue to be wary of when hooking up equipment. This has allowed the Ruipro cables to be HDCP certified, but I do not think it makes clear in their literature that they need to be connected to one of these new HDMI 2.1a power ports.

I am not aware of any devices claiming to have these new 2.1a power ports. Are any members aware of any?

This is the part of the release of information concerning this new specification as it applies to powering.

[HDMI 2.1a, Amendment 1 adds a new feature: HDMI Cable Power. With this feature, active HDMI® Cables can now be powered directly from the HDMI Connector, without attaching a separate power cable. This makes attaching and using active HDMI Cables as easy as using passive, wired HDMI Cables. To use the HDMI Cable Power feature, it is necessary to have an HDMI Cable which supports the HDMI Cable Power feature, and also an HDMI Source device which supports the HDMI Cable Power feature. This combination ensures that the active HDMI Cable can safely draw sufficient current from the HDMI Connector to power its internal circuitry.

In the case of the Ultra High Speed HDMI® Cable, performance requirements are so high, it is likely that the only way to meet the Ultra High Speed HDMI requirements in cables longer than a few meters is through powered, active HDMI Cables. Therefore, HDMI Cable Power was added to help support the HDMI 2.1a specification’s higher speeds by providing power to those active cables which may need it to function correctly. While active HDMI Cables have previously been used extensively in professional markets, their use will now increase in the home whenever consumers need longer-length Ultra High Speed HDMI Cables.

Connection is the same as attaching an ordinary, “wired” HDMI Cable, except that active cables can only be attached in one direction: One end of the cable is specifically labeled for attachment to the HDMI Source (transmitting) device, and the other end of the cable must be attached to the HDMI Sink (receiving) device. If the cable is attached in reverse, no damage will occur, but the connection will not work.

HDMI Cables with HDMI Cable Power include a separate power connector for use with source devices that do not support the HDMI Cable Power feature. Typically, these connectors will be USB Micro-B or USB Type-C®, but different power connector types may be used. As more and more source devices add support for HDMI Cable Power, these longer cables will deliver convenience in the living room along with reliable, high performance home theater audio video.]

You can read the full HDMI 2.1s specification here. There are other significant changes apart from powering.

I think this is a significant change and has the potential for immense confusion, and a cause of blown HDMI boards by the unwary. This is all the more relevant as bandwidth increases in the new spec. will call for the use of hybrid cables like Ruipro at shorter and shorter cable runs.

This change requires major dissemination to avoid serious problems occurring.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
One thing to keep in mind is HDMI specs, which include the 2.1a version, do NOT require support for some/many of its features. In other words, if a TV or AVR says they support HDMI 2.1a - it may support some of its features, and some could (or likely will) be omitted.
and my fav source:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI 2.1/HDMI 2.1a indicates features that may be supported in part or fully by a device and one must carefully look over the particular device's specs to see what is actually included in it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

HDMI 2.1/HDMI 2.1a indicates features that may be supported in part or fully by a device and one must carefully look over the particular device's specs to see what is actually included in it.
The question is are there any devices with this Powerport designation. I just hope all this confusion does not lead to an epidemic of blown HDMI boards.

It will be hazardous if some 2.1a ports support 300 mw power and some do not. This HDMI/HDCP fiasco just continues to cause even further confusion. The fat that this confusion is enforced is a disgrace.

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
This is what I posted a few months ago on the AVS Forum, prior to the recent update amendment:

"An upcoming revision to the HDMI 2.1 option sets, which adds a major new feature, Source-Based Tone Mapping, or SBTM. SBTM is a new HDR feature that offloads some of the HDR tone mapping to the content source (like your computer or set-top box) alongside the tone mapping that your TV or monitor is doing.

It’s intended to help existing HDR setups work better by letting the content source better optimize the content it passes to the display or by removing the need to have the user manually calibrate their screens for HDR by having the source device configure content for the specific display.

SBTM will be an optional feature that manufacturers can support — but not something that they’re required to support."

As with all things HDMI-related, this and the power port specs are going to cause all kinds of issues. I was under the impression that part of the HDMI requirements for hybrid fiber cables was that the mfr must include a power inserter (5v/500mA) for a "just in case" basis in case the power output at the source end was insufficient or variable. Of course, HDMI.org has no real regulatory power so a lot of mfrs have ignored that "requirement". Ruipro always included power inserters with their Gen3/x cables, at least they did with all of the test cables they sent me.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

This is what I posted a few months ago on the AVS Forum, prior to the recent update amendment:

"An upcoming revision to the HDMI 2.1 option sets, which adds a major new feature, Source-Based Tone Mapping, or SBTM. SBTM is a new HDR feature that offloads some of the HDR tone mapping to the content source (like your computer or set-top box) alongside the tone mapping that your TV or monitor is doing.

It’s intended to help existing HDR setups work better by letting the content source better optimize the content it passes to the display or by removing the need to have the user manually calibrate their screens for HDR by having the source device configure content for the specific display.

SBTM will be an optional feature that manufacturers can support — but not something that they’re required to support."

As with all things HDMI-related, this and the power port specs are going to cause all kinds of issues.
That is exactly what I'm afraid of. Having a spec. with optional features sounds like one of the dumbest plans I have ever heard of. What I'm not sure of is whether the power specs are voluntary, or does the manufacturer have to specify the HDMI port as a power port? My feeling is that it has to be specified as such but I am far from certain of that. Do you know the answer to that. In my view at least output ports should be mandated to be power ports, otherwise what is the point?

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
That is exactly what I'm afraid of. Having a spec. with optional features sounds like one of the dumbest plans I have ever heard of. What I'm not sure of is whether the power specs are voluntary, or does the manufacturer have to specify the HDMI port as a power port? My feeling is that it has to be specified as such but I am far from certain of that. Do you know the answer to that. In my view at least output ports should be mandated to be power ports, otherwise what is the point?
I wish I knew the answer but HDMI.org in their infinite wisdom knows what's best for us . HDMI Cable Powers active HDMI Cables

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis