Impact Acoustics September Contest Giveaway - USB 5.1 Audio Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
I currently have my PC connected to my receiver through a 16 foot usb cable and a 10ft USB active repeater. At the moment, I use it purely for music purposes so that I can listen to the hundreds of songs on my computer in the comfort of my living room with better quality than a set of 2.1 computer speakers. However, I do think it would be a neat project to build a HTPC. With all the advanced processing available today I think that it's just a matter of time before your computer can upscale your dvd's and output them to your tv.

J

JonnyOzero3

Audioholic Intern
Yes I do. mp3s.

Do you currently have a PC connected to your A/V system? If so, what kind of programming does it supply? If not, what would encourage you to consider a PC as an audio/video source component?
I do have my PC (Intel P4, Audigy 2, etc) connected to my HK AVR-435 via SPDIF Coax. I play mp3s and wma audio files. I vastly prefer the quality of CDs or high resolution audio, but I have a lot of mp3s from college that I don't have on CD (shame on me I know, but it was okay back then). Other than that, I watch Homestarrunner on it (my HT setup is the only audio setup on my PC right now). I prefer the reliability of a Universal Player and that is the reason my cranky PC is not the hub of my HT. But, it is "a" source component, if only to get at all my old songs.

Long answer for ya :)

B

Bobby2x

Junior Audioholic
Contest

I do not have my PC hooked up to my sterio,
Never quite knew a safe way to run S.C. To the line level inputs of
the receiver. This little do-dad, look slike the trick...
I hope I win!

D

dsegel

Enthusiast
I have a MythTV box (Gentoo linux based) connected to my A/V receiver via the soundcard's line out. The TV program source is a DISH network satellite receiver, and guide data comes from labs.zap2it.com. I also use it to listen to MP3s and watch DVD .iso images and other videos, all of which I have stored on a different linux server and accessed via NFS. Right now it's stereo only.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
I do not have my PC hooked up to my stereo. I am extremely interested in this next step in home theater design. Right now my PC is too far from my Home theater to run a line and I will be moving soon so I dont wan to waste the time running lines through walls/floors. The technology is changing so fast these days I would rather wait and get something that is almost future proof. If i were to get one right now It would have to be wireless and with very little signal loss. i would like it to send a video signal as well. that way I can use my PC as a tivo. Something I am currently setting up. It would be much nicer sending a signal of the program rather than burning another dvd of Laguna beach (for my fiance)

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
PC Hook Up

My computer is in my basement office so I have ran about 70 feet of high quality RCA cable attached to a Radio Shack adapter and into my Yammy AVR AUX in. This is analog only and does have it's drawbacks. I have to be really careful not to go to another source without turning the receiver WAY down or I stand the chance of blowing my speakers. I can't seem to find the entry form for this monthly contest. Clint, can you give a new link?

X

xtremeclmb

Audiophyte
I actually have two PCs and an xbox connected. One PC is purely a server with 1.2TB of music and movies. The other is the laptop I use when I'm at my desk and just want to here a quick tune. The xbox could be considered a PC itself, has optical out, and runs media center as a frontend for the server. I've been toying with the idea of running a MythTV setup but I'm limited to the amount of PCI cards i can add to the server so this thing looks pretty sweet.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I have had my computer hooked up to my stereo in the past (i.e. college), but since migrating to a dedicated HT room, I haven't found the need. Given I only really watch movies in my HT, there isn't a huge need there. However, once I set up the living room HT upstairs, it would be great to connect my comp to that system for all the MP3s to listen to while in the adjacent kitchen or when we have friends over.

G

genesis471

Audioholic
Do you currently have a PC connected to your A/V system? If so, what kind of programming does it supply? If not, what would encourage you to consider a PC as an audio/video source component?

No, I do not have my comp hooked to my system, it only is hooked to two speakers and a sub (powered). I wish it was hooked to my A/V system.
If I new that there was no quality lost (more then mp3's already do) over the wireless system then I think that would be encouraging enough. I haven't bought anything like airTunes or any of that because of quality concerns.

Mike
Seattle, WA

A

azcoyote

Enthusiast
I have a dedicated HTPC connected to my stereo via Coaxial Digital input so I can receive DD sound. This machine serves as my main source of music since I have digitized and boxed up all of my CDs in order to assure my small children don't destroy them. It also acts as a DVR, family photo album, and DVD player. I would be compelled to use a USB based product if there were an improvement to the sound quality when replacing the coax solution I use.

Thanks,
Wiley

M

myzzy

Audiophyte
Clint DeBoer said:
No, my family dosent have our pc's connected to ours but maybe once cost is within range it would be within our budget to consider

thank you for the contest

M

maweisberg

Audiophyte
I do not have nay computers connected to my av system, but am lloking at a package seriously like a new computer with the microsoft digital media software.

N

nowonder

Audioholic Intern
I don't currently have a PC hooked into my system, but that is only because my system is still being assembled. I don't even have carpet in my theater yet... :)

I'm looking forward to building one to do video scaling for my projector, and for my extensive digital music collection. Probably 6 months down the line.

--nw

calibos70

Audiophyte
USB 5.1 Audio Adapter

I have a laptop hooked up to an old set of Labtec speakers, being able to hook up to my surround sound setup would make HALO really rock.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
No I don't. I'd need a economic solution, combined with ease of use software, in a nice package.

I'm not about to put an ugly PC tower next to my entertainment center in my living room :)

Now if I had a dedicated HT room, and a rack with all my A/V equipment, I'd wouldn't hesitate to connect my PC to the system.

R

randymoe

Enthusiast
I do not have my pc connected to my A/V... Something that I have always dreamed about I guess...

Product sounds like it would be an awesome addition to A/V system...especially because pc is in office away from the main system.

M

MDC

Enthusiast
I do not currently have a PC connected to my AV system. I occassionally hook up a laptop for slide shows. The main reason I don't do more is lack of time to play with the setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis