E

Ed Lewis

Audioholic Intern
hello audioholics world! I have a set of Energy CF 70's as my fronts, and using a Denon S 910W as my receiver. my fronts are sitting now at 60 inches from front wall - where imaging is great. BUT they are almost in the middle of the room! I have tried every "formula" out there, the third, the fifth, etc, and this is where I actually can close my eyes and hear the soundstage on the front wall. I listen to music in stereo, movies in DTS. I'm a widow at 87, living in an apartment attached to my sons house, so most of the time nobody cares how it looks. Am I the only one who's room is so acoustically bad that this is the best positioning or am I trying to find nervana with speakers that will never getme there! What think ye friends?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It's possible that if the room is very lively, they will image best where your listening position gets the absolute most direct sound from the speaker as opposed to acoustic reflections. Speakers do work best with stand-off distances away from walls, but perhaps your room makes that an extreme necessity.

E

Ed Lewis

Audioholic Intern
It's possible that if the room is very lively, they will image best where your listening position gets the absolute most direct sound from the speaker as opposed to acoustic reflections. Speakers do work best with stand-off distances away from walls, but perhaps your room makes that an extreme necessity.
thanks ShadyJ. I definitely have a diffi ult room. It is 12.5 wide and 14 feet long. it has a 3 foot bump out floor to ceiling glass bay window on the long end,and an archway that is 40 inches on the long wallleading to a kitchen. The window makes the setup having to be on the long wall, so i am working with the 12.5 space. not ideal by any stretch, but am fortunate to be with son and his family at this stage of life. have been on the technician/engineering end of electronics all my life but audio was a late bloomer. still experimenting but finding age is hindering mobility. thanks for respondi g. it is much appre iated.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Ed, congrats (to a certain extent) for you have discovered what many have not, you need to give your speakers the room they need so as to produce a great 'front - to - back' soundstage as well as left to right ! I can't tell you the number of systems I've seen where this is not the case.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
hello audioholics world! I have a set of Energy CF 70's as my fronts, and using a Denon S 910W as my receiver. my fronts are sitting now at 60 inches from front wall - where imaging is great. BUT they are almost in the middle of the room! I have tried every "formula" out there, the third, the fifth, etc, and this is where I actually can close my eyes and hear the soundstage on the front wall. I listen to music in stereo, movies in DTS. I'm a widow at 87, living in an apartment attached to my sons house, so most of the time nobody cares how it looks. Am I the only one who's room is so acoustically bad that this is the best positioning or am I trying to find nervana with speakers that will never getme there! What think ye friends?
In my recent experience, that kind of issue could be addressed if you can apply proper EQ manually to the left and right channel independently, that is one at a time. A good automatic REQ system such as Audyssey XT32 would be better and more effective. Your Denon has the lowest Audyssey version but there is no harm trying.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Ed
Congrats on continuing to try ! Too many people just settle for things the way they are, or, the easiest and simplest solution. Sometimes, the best things have to be teased out over time.

Having speakers out and away from your walls is often a great way to let them perform. Most folks just can't do it because of other family constraints or "the way it looks in the room". You are lucky that you can put them where they sound great.

Keep up the good work. At 87, you're just getting started.

E

Ed Lewis

Audioholic Intern
Ed, congrats (to a certain extent) for you have discovered what many have not, you need to give your speakers the room they need so as to produce a great 'front - to - back' soundstage as well as left to right ! I can't tell you the number of systems I've seen where this is not the case.
thanks Mikado463! Glad to know the hard tedious work was not in vain! And just tbink when I upgrade I have to do it all over!

E

Ed Lewis

Audioholic Intern
In my recent experience, that kind of issue could be addressed if you can apply proper EQ manually to the left and right channel independently, that is one at a time. A good automatic REQ system such as Audyssey XT32 would be better and more effective. Your Denon has the lowest Audyssey version but there is no harm trying.
thanks Peng, audyssey and I are not on good terms, but as you say i only have the entry stage - and thats a problem. If I didnt like surround sound movies I would rather just have a good stereo amp, and rest easy.

E

Ed Lewis

Audioholic Intern
Hey Ed, if your up for some reading try this.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/two-channel-audio/71050-hts-two-channel-speaker-setup-guide-deep-soundstage.html#/topics/71050
Been a long time since I’ve read it, but iirc you’ll find some support to your findings. Hope you don’t mind doing some math! Lol
thanks William, great reading! I may try following some of that math next time I have to setup. had notnseen thatnarticle before, really appreciate you suggesting it. cheers

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
thanks Peng, audyssey and I are not on good terms, but as you say i only have the entry stage - and thats a problem. If I didnt like surround sound movies I would rather just have a good stereo amp, and rest easy.
Stereo soundstage depends a lot on having very similar freq response characteristics of the left and right channel. In one of my 2 channel systems, I didn't like it until I eq'ed the left and right channels individually, and manually. In my other systems in another room I did not experience the same kind of soundstage/imaging issues.

E

Ed Lewis

Audioholic Intern
Stereo soundstage depends a lot on having very similar freq response characteristics of the left and right channel. In one of my 2 channel systems, I didn't like it until I eq'ed the left and right channels individually, and manually. In my other systems in another room I did not experience the same kind of soundstage/imaging issues.
interesting - I. dont have theb ability to eq one side at a time but will look into how I can do that. my room is nuts with the big bump out window to the left of my front left, where my right front has a wall with pocket glass door. I will look into this for sure. thanks for the heads up

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
interesting - I. dont have theb ability to eq one side at a time but will look into how I can do that. my room is nuts with the big bump out window to the left of my front left, where my right front has a wall with pocket glass door. I will look into this for sure. thanks for the heads up
I know, it is easier for me because I use that system for digital source only, so the adjustments are made on my notebook PC running JRiver. The process was tedious though, as I used REW to plot the graphs and provide the necessary filters, for more accurate results. It would have been much easier if I use an AVR with Audyssey XT32.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis