I'm somewhere in Chapter 7 "Above the Transistion Frequency" of Dr Tool's Book.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Its a very interesting read but because of my loss of my wife and age (I hate admitting that last part) it takes me multiple reads to retain the points being made in the book. I also only read a couple of sections at a time and let my mind process what I've read for a few days so that I can retain and understand more fully what it is I read.

Thinks I've learned so far..

The phantom center channel that we hear in rock, pop, and jazz recordings are often sweetened by the recording engineer to lessen the comb filtering and the corresponding reduction of amplitude as a result in the vicinity of 2KHz. This comb filtering would also cause a shift in timbre and these effects are exacerbated in rooms with low first reflection points or narrow dispersion loudspeakers even though these speakers may have uniform off axes response. Speakers with wide dispersion characteristics, even those with non uniform off axes response are preferred to speakers with narrow dispersion and uniform off axes response.

Auditioning 1 speaker in a speaker pair reveals more subjective information about that model's performance than it does as a stereo pair.

That's as far as I got today. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Its a very interesting read but because of my loss of my wife and age (I hate admitting that last part) it takes me multiple reads to retain the points being made in the book. I also only read a couple of sections at a time and let my mind process what I've read for a few days so that I can retain and understand more fully what it is I read.

The phantom center channel that we hear in rock, pop, and jazz recordings are often sweetened by the recording engineer to lessen the comb filtering and the corresponding reduction of amplitude as a result in the vicinity of 2KHz. This comb filtering would also cause a shift in timbre and these effects are exacerbated in rooms with low first reflection points or narrow dispersion loudspeakers even though these speakers may have uniform off axes response. Speakers with wide dispersion characteristics, even those with non uniform off axes response are preferred to speakers with narrow dispersion and uniform off axes response.

Auditioning 1 speaker in a speaker pair reveals more subjective information about that model's performance than it does as a stereo pair.

The answer to the single speaker test is a yes and a no. If you are going to do that, then you need a mono recording. Stereo recordings are made with at least two mics, and usually more. The recording was in any event mixed in stereo. So if you combine the channels there will be phase addition and subtraction issues.

Luckily I have quite a few good mono recordings from years gone by in my collection. I listen to them via my center speaker.

In any event you can not just rely on a single speaker listen, as the type of sound stage the pair present is also an important part of the evaluation.

This goes on steroids in the HT evaluation, as then you have to judge the three dimensional sound stage of the whole set up.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

@3db and @TLS Guy
Your reading of Toole's book for comprehension and retention is admirable. It's like studying for a test you actually want to take. The results matter. You made an observation about the phantom center channel we all hear in stereo recordings and I thought that deserved high fives and some comments.

For my money and time, the phantom center channel phenomenon is one of the wonders of modern recording. For me, it's what makes listening to 2.0 stereo such a fascinating and rewarding experience. The music, floating in the air out in front of you like a magical apparition, only exists inside your head. The engineering and artistry that it takes to create that is fascinating to me and it is a great deal of fun to reveal it to my family members and friends who've never heard it on the junk they listen to every day.

One of the most enjoyable parts of listening to a quality recording is realizing its all in your head. All the efforts of others create it, but, without your ears and mind it really doesn't exist. Cool stuff.

DonaldBurns

DonaldBurns

Audiophyte
The answer to the single speaker test is a yes and a no. If you are going to do that, then you need a mono recording. Stereo recordings are made with at least two mics, and usually more. The recording was in any event mixed in stereo. So if you combine the channels there will be phase addition and subtraction issues.

Luckily I have quite a few good mono recordings from years gone by in my collection. I listen to them via my center speaker.

In any event you can not just rely on a single speaker listen, as the type of sound stage the pair present is also an important part of the evaluation.

This goes on steroids in the HT evaluation, as then you have to judge the three dimensional sound stage of the whole set up.As indicated on the service with the essay samples https://papersowl.com/examples/art/ music is an art that not everyone can appreciate.
Thanks for sharing. I will try it.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis