I'm losing my mind!

S

sleddriver

Audiophyte
About four years ago I got into Hi-fi 2-channel (Paradigm Reference Studio 100's V.2)
and now I'm trying to upgrade to 5.1. I'm searching for a subwoofer, but the more I research, the more confused I become. Someone help me out here. I've kind of got it narrowed down to three choices: Paradigm Reference Servo-15 V.2, Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature EQ, or Velodyne DD-12. These are all approximately in the same price range, problem is I've only listened to one of them (Velodyne DD-15 to boot). To add even more confusion, I've stumbled upon the SVS vs. HSU threads; Should I be considering these?

thanks in advance for any input,

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
SVS and HSU make extremely high quality subs for moderate prices. they are definitely worth looking into. you might also take a peek at www.outlawaudio.com , as they make a solid sub as well. :)

I'm not trying to confuse you, just making sure you know what all the options are... ;)

superman180

superman180

Audioholic
Everything I have read leads me to believe that HSU & SVS are the best bang for your buck subwoofers available. I personally am leaning towards SVS and I have selected the SVS PB12 plus/2 for my near future upgrade. Do yourself a favor and check these guys out, with a little research you might be surprised. :D

I would also like to point out that they both have excellent customer service.
I have asked questions to both of them and have been responded to promptly :D

S

sleddriver

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies,
I have actually looked into SVS and was (like Superman) leaning toward the SVS PB12 plus/2. Like everyone else I want to be able to blow my wife out of her chair with massive SPL at low frequency, and I'm sure the aforementioned sub can do it. But what about musical reproduction? Does anyone know how this sub compares to the Paradigm/Sunfire/Velodyne?

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I wouldn't waste my time with the Sunfire, waaaaay overpriced. The Paradigm is also a little pricey compared to some of the manufacturer direct companies (but not as bad as sunfire).

*Hsu research has been the "musical" subwoofer leader for 14 years, and still have a rabid following.

*SVS is the new(ish) kid on the block. Their ultra drivers are nice, but their multi-driver box units can be awesome.

*Velodyne can also sell you a world class sub. The 1812 signature is the stuff dreams are made out of.

Thourough reading of the companies websites will give you hundreds of reviews for each company, and you really can't go wrong with any of their flagship products (an SVS pb10-isd or a Hsu STF-1 may be a letdown in your system). Read! Study! (A Tom Nousaine has done research into subwoofers than you ortr I ever will)and finally: test in your home!

You really couldn't go wrong with a velo DD -15, an SVS PB12-Ultra/2, or a pair of Hsu TN1220's. :)

G

golfhack

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, I agree with Ninja...stay away from the Sunfire. From what you've posted it seems that budget is not a concern, neither is WAF factor considering the different sizes of the subwoofers you mentioned. All of this makes it extremely hard to make a decision as to which sub(s) would better suit your needs. But for a best bang for the buck, it really is hard to beat HSU or SVS. Both will give you enough spl to blow the clothes right off of your bodies. :D Sorry for the analogy but it seems like everybody is doing that these days. :D Remember the servo-drive subs (such as Velodynes HGS and DD series) will give you a different kind of base than the other non-servo type subs (such as HSU and SVS). Because servo-drive subs contain very little distortion in the full bass spectrum, when you get below 20-25 HZ you will feel it more (i.e. pound you in the chest). Whereas, because SVS and HSU have typically more distortion (mind you in the lowest octave where it matters most) it will tend to have a more audible impact (pound to the head) rather than a subsonic impact of the Velodyne. Thats not to say that the Velodyne is better than the SVS or HSU, but rather there is a different kind of bass. Most people are used to hearing some distortion in their bass since they're not too many subs out there that can actually produce distortionless bass. This is the reason why a lot of first time servo sub buyers actually have to turn up their subwoofer level because there isn't anything audible (because there's not supposed to be according to the recording engineer). Indeed, some frist time servo sub owners actually return the sub complaining that the sub sucks for this reason. In comparison the audibility that we here in typical subs (such as the SVS and HSU) is the fundamental frequency plus and distortion. This is the bass that we are all used to, and these subs (SVS and HSU) give us an INCREDIBLE abundance of it (i.e. very high spl's). So to reiterate, unless you already own a servo-based sub, and are used to the sound, (and the size of the sub is not a concern) I think for the money either SVS or HSU is the better way to go. Afterall, if you're going after perfection, you may find you don't like it, especially for the steep added expensive. It may very well not be worth it. But of course that is up to you. BTW, I wouldn't worry about the distortion for music - from 30-35Hz on up both HSU and SVS have minimal distortion (in fact, probably inaudible). Hope this helps. Good Luck. :D

D

denverdoc

Enthusiast
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
I*Velodyne can also sell you a world class sub. The 1812 signature is the stuff dreams are made out of.. :)
That is unless you have ever heard a good Infinite baffle set-up; the big Velo would be panting and begging for mercy by the third round-this from gear at roughly 1/5 the cost!
John

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Maybe, but in sleepy dream-land I don't have an IB set-up. I actually have a Confederate Hellcat that turns into a friendly robot and serves me plates of steaming-hot tennis balls.

S

sleddriver

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the helpfull comments. After doing some more research I just now decided to go with the HSU VTF-3 MK 2. I hope this sub lives up to the reviews... :confused:

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
I'd actually take one of the ones you mentioned over the Hsu or SVS. The SVS/Hsu's may play louder and deeper compared to many subs in their price range, but features like the EQ on the Velodyne will ensure a flatter, more accurate bass. The DD12 is capable of exceptionally loud deep bass AND its EQ feature will help you get balanced sound in most rooms.

Getting a sub to sound deep but balanced is something that is quite difficult to achieve in many rooms, and EQ features go a long way to achieving that. I've spent countless hours positioning, measuring and calibrating my sub and still have some peaks and dips that I can't get rid of. Having an automatic EQ feature would really ease the pain a lot.

As far as bass per buck spent, the award will go to SVS/Hsu, but as far as accurate deep bass is concerned, the Velodyne will likely beat them in typical average acoustical environment

Last edited:
S

sleddriver

Audiophyte
I agree that the Velodyne is a better choice. But before I spend $3000 I thought it would be worth my while to give this one a chance. I was talking to my local Velodyne dealer and he mentioned that sometime this summer they plan on releasing an outboard parametric EQ similiar in functionality to the DD series. It might cost as much as a HSU sub, but it will help defeat room anamolies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis