Im looking for advise fot my first system.

G

Gamagamatsu

Audiophyte
Hello. I am currently trying to build my first system. I'm thinking a denon 6800 receiver, Marantz 8500 Amp. I'm told to also use a pre-amp. My choices of speaker klipsch new premier ll tower x4 as well as the matching center speaker. I would like to have 2 separate bass subs to narrow the base valley. I want a powerful system thay sounds killer. I love my music. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why the Denon 6800 (over 3800 and 4800)? I don't see a Marantz 8500 amp. The Denon will act as pre-amp just fine with an external power amp hooked up to the Denon. I'd look beyond Klipsch speakers myself, as that is the heart of the quality of the sound (as well as your room.....not particularly the electronics/amp). Subs I'd look at Hsu, SVS, Monolith, RSL etc.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Welcome and congratulations on starting your musical journey with your 1st system. Have you listened to those Klipsch speakers, either in a showroom or at someone’s house? They have a particular sound, which if you like it, that’s great. The speakers are probably the most important decision on how your system will sound, so suggest you try before you buy. Good suggestions on subs. SVS, RSL and others you can buy directly from the manufacturer and try and return if you’re not satisfied. Enjoy your musical journey!

O

Oddball

Junior Audioholic
As noted, you should listen to Klipsch setup and also listed to other setups in that price range available for audition in your market.

For a variety of reasons I ended up with Klipsch setup in my expat HT, and while that setup is enjoyable, if I knew I would keep it for a longer period of time I would have made different decisions. If you go with 8000 towers and set them up appropriately they will pump tight and impactfull bass like there is no tomorrow, and that is the most fun feature of these speakers. They will be a bit harsher in the mid-high range which can be EQd to some extent but not fully. 504C could be the centre to match, but again, it will be harsher in the mid-high end range. I had it at one point and recall had to roll it off starting at 4khz as sibilants were pretty harsh otherwise.

Don't really see a reason to go with 6800H over 3800H if you are not planning expansion to 13 channels, or have front wides on your list as a must-have. For most purposes you would not need an external amp, but if you do want it, probably worth looking in some solid performing D class multi-channel amps. They don't have to cost arm and a leg and their power requirements would depend on the speakers, room and desired SPL. Most people don't really need more than 120-180Wpc into 8ohm.

Good luck with your project and hope you will enjoy it greatly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis