I'm frustrated!-I need a new Receiver (or pre-pro) now BUT no DVI-HDMI options!

B

BuddTX

Audioholic
(Dont know if this belongs in the "steam room" or here!)

As we say in Texas, I was "fixin-t" upgrade my HT system. I was very proud of my components, considering what I paid for them, and how many years of enjoyment they gave me.

I was also proud of the value that my system represented. Because of careful research and smart buying, I felt that my components performed much better than the dollars that I spent on them (in other words, they sounded much more expensive than they actually were!)

Well. my house got hit by lightening, and my TV, and receiver got fried, and it will cost too much to repair them, considering that I was already in the market for new stuff.

(BTY, My "quick replacement" for my 36" Toshiba TV is a sweet deal, 697.00 bucks for a 32' Sanyo HDTV (not hdtv ready, but with receiver built in!) at Wal-mart! I will eventually get a plazma, and move this beauty into my bedroom. This Sanyo is very nice, and the price is great!)

OK, now why I am frustrated.

When I purchased my Last receiver, (Pioneer elite VSX-14) it had "everything" but DTS. Supposedly DTS was on it's way out. Well, turns out, that it was NOT on it's way out, and I was upset that I was missing out on DTS versions of DVD's.

I don't want to purchase another component that will be outdated so easily. (Don't laugh, I know it will happen eventually).

It seems that we are just on the verge of seeing a whole new set of receivers and pre-pros that will have either DVI and/or HDMI switching.

To make matters worse, I was going to make the jump to a high end receiver or (more likely) a pre-pro and seperate amp, spending more than I ever have for a component.

So, I can either do without a receiver for several months, (and have NO music, and NO HT etc), or buy one of the very few receivers or pre-pro's that has HDMI and or DVI.

Frustrated because I know that 6 months to a year from now, there will be a flood of new receivers and pre-pro's that will have all these new connections on it.

Actually, in typing this, I just thought of a third option, I could buy an expensive receiver, and that could get moved into my bedroom 6 months to a year from now, when this "flood" of new receivers hit the market!

And then, there is the whole issue of sending video through your receiver anyway. I have absolutely no issues with switching my monitor inputs, I only want the receiver to handle the vidoe because the possibility exists to increase the PQ of the picture.

I am going to post this anyway, to see what others think.

B

BuddTX

Audioholic
Well, no one commented, and that's fine, I think posting this helped me sort out my options.

What I decided on, was to wait a while on jumping into the "high end", with seperates, and I purchased the Pioneer vsx 1014.

Very happy with my decision so far.

I do not yet have any DVI or HDMI output devices yet, so that is not yet an issue.

I will be getting a new DVD soon (waiting for the samsung 941), so when I get that, I will hook that up directly to my TV.

That should hold me over until I upgrade my Sat Dish (Dish TV) to a HD receiver, that will have HDMI.

The 1014 seems to be no slouch at all. I had a Pioneer Elite VSX 14 that was 5 years old, (got fried by a bolt of lightening), and I think that the new receiver sounds better.

Could be psychological, could be that I ran all new 12 guage cables, could be that I have all 7 speakers hooked up, whereas before I only had three, could be that I am convincing myself that my new receiver sounds great, but end result, I am happy.

Thinking of getting the Axiom M80's to try out with this receiver.

If it works, great! Someone over at the Axiom Forum noted that this receiver is THX certified, and that means that the receiver has to drive speakers rated at 3.6 ohms, so it might work.

If it doesn't, this receiver has pre-outs, and I could get a seperate stereo amp to drive the M80's and everything else can run via the 1014.

On a seperate note, I forgot how much fun hooking up all the cables and connectors can be! (Took me longer than I thought!)

I invision a HDMI future, where every component will have only TWO connectors, a HDMI in, and a HDMI out.

Wouldnt that be nice!

Anyway, I am very happy with my decision, My receiver has all the processing and a nice Stereo bypass button, along with pre-outs, and THX certification, and I got it for a real good price, so I am happy.

Thanks for listening anyway!

Couple random thoughts...

I don't think buying a unit with HDMI switching (now) is as important as purchasing something that performs in the best possible manner (i.e. a lesser product with HDMI does not trump a beter product without in my mind)

The M80ti(s) are easy to drive so you should be fine for now on that receiver and you can upgrade later to an amp if you want.

I value Firewire (audio) above HDMI (video) since I can always go direct with video, but not having firewire messes with bass management and causes me tons of "cable hassle". So if you want the future (and can afford it) - look at Firewire/IEEE 1394 - even before HDMI.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis