Im a serious newbie that needs advice!

K

kopykat

Audiophyte
Hi all,
This is my first post on this forum, hope you guys can help me out. I recently purchased a new HT system. The system is made of: a pair of Morel Octave 5.2 for front speakers and a pair of Morel Sl-2 for rear speakers. The system also consists of an CambridgeAudio reciever - Azur 540R. Here's my problem... I am not satisfied with the volume level I am achieving with this setup. I really have to crank up the reciever to get to some loud output.
Now from what I know the Octave's can take up to 200w rms and my reciever outputs only 100w rms when used in stereo, so from the little i know im assuming that the speakers are just too powerful for the reciever's output level. Now, in case im correct with my assumption, I need to find a solution. Is there a way I can add more juice to my Octaves ? Is there a way i can get an amplifier to add another 100w rms output just to those speakers? what do I need exactly?

Thanks for any advice.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
First off, don't be so serious. Laugh a little.

Second, a little primer on amp power vs. speaker sensitivity. Get the sensitivity figure for your speakers. That is critical to this.

In the meantime, I'll assume (and use) a figure of 87 db/meter but you should be able to iterpolate whatever it is that you need to know.

An amplifer with 100 watts into an 87 db speaker will be able to produce a certain loudness.

To increase that loudness by a BARELY AUDIABLE 3 decibles will require twice that power, or 200 watts.

To increase the loudness another 3 decibles requires twice that power, or 400 watts.

So, to gain a mere 6 decibles over your initial 100 watt amp, you need 400 watts.

Let's look at this another way, starting with 100 watts into those 87 db speakers.

If those had a sensitivity of 90 db/meter, or 3 db more efficient, to obtain that same loudness you would only need 50 watts.

In that same vein, if they were 93 db speakers, that same loudness would be reached with only 25 watts.

So, even if you used a 200 watt amp, your loudness would not increase all that much. Also, that 100 watt figure is only called upon for peaks, and even then for only a short time.

You might want to seriously consider either lowering your listening level expectations or looking into more efficient speakers. Some speakers simply aren't made to pump out the noise, particularly in a large room.

K

kopykat

Audiophyte
Basicly what you're saying is the answer is no?
No, I cannot really boost my speaker loudness. :(

I dont know how familar you are with the Octave speakers, but what if I was to replace them with Octave Octwins (another pair of Octaves basicly), would that help? The thing is, I love the sound these speakers produce, and they can also get pretty loud, but only when I crank up my reciever, I just wanted to get the same loudness without pushing my reciever to its limits.
But in general, what i understand from you is that the main issue here is the speakers and not the reciever.

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply.

B

Bullit67

Enthusiast
I found I had the same problem when I hooked up my new Denon AVR3805 to my Mirage speakers I had to turn it up alot to get any sound at all. After some reading and asking around I found this is common with many receivers the volume controls are very linier and climb in small amounts you should ask you dealer and see what they say or if you bought the whole sys from one place go in and listen to a demo unit and see if there is any differance and then try the same speakers with a differant amp/rec.

Or could be your just going deff ;) LOL

Good luck

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

So long as your amps aren't getting overly hot (from being run too hard) the actual volume setting isn't really relevant. Certainly adding a larger amp won't hurt- it'll probably help you to reproduce transients with more punch and clarity, as well as give you a touch more volume. Stepping up to Octwins by adding another will definately give you more volume and punch, but you'll need a 2nd amp, I imagine. And those Morels aren't exactly cheap, are they? I read a review of them a year or so ago, and I was thinking they were a bit pricey.

annunaki

annunaki

Markw,

Do not forget that by upgrading to a 200 watt per channel amplifier, he would also gain quite a bit in dynamic capability, which may be what he is actually after.

Kopykat,

What Markw was getting at, is the average volume will only increase by 3db by doubling the power. Which, in reality, most people never notice. (I have verified this in a blind test with an SPL meter.) However, a bigger amplifier could definitely improve the quality of transient response, (or dynamic capability) improving the overall sound of the system. If you can, try a receiver with double the output in your home. See if it makes the difference you are looking for. If not, see if you could at least try out a two channel amplifier with double the output power. Just do your testing in stereo. See if it is what you are after. Pehaps a more powerful subwoofer could be the difference you are after?

Good Day. :)

Last edited:
RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hello Kopycat
Welcome to the forum
Looking at the Morel 5.2 (fine speakers by the way) These are not true full range speakers There low frequency cut off point is about 42Hz This is the advertised low frequency cut off of the speaker. In rear world installs they are probably around 48-50Hz.

I would recommend setting the speakers to small and the cross over setting in the receiver at 60 or 80 Hz if you have this option. I believe that the 540 also has a full set of Pre-Amp outputs It may be of some benefit to use an out board amplifier to augment the amplifier’s demand in the 540. Doing this will not yield much of an spl gain But it will help prevent amplifier clipping at high volume levels that can destroy your speakers.
Happy Listening
RLA

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis