I'll Never Buy Optoma Again

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've had it with Optoma projectors.

Their customer service has been great so far, but enough is enough.

I bought their flagship model - the HD81-LV - about 2 yrs ago brand new.

The PQ is great and the brightness is truly awesome.

But after 1 yr, it malfunctioned - will not turn on at all.

It sent it in for repair (paid $60 shipping). They said the "Main Board" was defective.

Then another yr (just this March) and it malfunctioned again. They also said the main board was defective. I paid another $60 shipping. They gave me an option to get a "fairly new" refurbished HD81-LV. They promised that it was practically new.

Now 3 months later, and it is again showing signs of malfunction.

Here is the symptom: After 2 minutes of Power Up, the PJ shuts down and the lights (Lamp, Temp) are all flashing red.

I have to unplug from the wall and re-plug. For now it solves the problem, but it's probably just a matter of time before it dies too - just like the first HD81-LV.

So I have had enough of Optoma reliability.

Before this projector, I've been using a SharpVision 95U projector for 10 yrs without a single problem - in the same exact room and same location!!!

I was thinking of getting a Panasonic AE4000U - after the warranty on this Optoma projector runs out at the end of the year.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
I agree. I had trouble with my HD72 and their CS. I will not buy from them again.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Since you have had so many problems with that same model, maybe you could get them to give you an upgraded model as compensation for having so many issues.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I was thinking of getting a Panasonic AE4000U - after the warranty on this Optoma projector runs out at the end of the year.
Sorry man. At least they did try, in terms of CS, but I guess it's the incessant QA issues at fault.

By the end of the year, a new Pana will probably be out already. As with TVs, it's every year with PJs.

The natural competitor to the 4000 is Epson's 8500. The Pana will win in terms of feature set, and the Epson will slightly edge out in blacks. Epson seems to have superb CS. Pana, I do not know.

If you can afford more, you might consider JVC. They represent a step up in PQ and you never have to worry about dust blobs. They will be significantly brighter in best mode, but slightly louder because of it. If you don't care for accurate colors, the others can then be much closer in brightness to JVC. They also don't depend on a dynamic iris for the class leading blacks. But, they do cost more.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you can afford more, you might consider JVC. They represent a step up in PQ and you never have to worry about dust blobs. They will be significantly brighter in best mode, but slightly louder because of it. If you don't care for accurate colors, the others can then be much closer in brightness to JVC. They also don't depend on a dynamic iris for the class leading blacks. But, they do cost more.
What are dust blobs?

Are the JVCs very flexible with placements (horizontal/vertical shifts)?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Since you have had so many problems with that same model, maybe you could get them to give you an upgraded model as compensation for having so many issues.
That's my thinking too. I'll see if they will go for it.

But at the same time, I'm kind of fed up with Optoma reliability.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
What are dust blobs?
3LCD projectors do not have sealed light paths. DILA/LCOS and DLP use sealed light path(s). Now, I have read one person say that just because it's sealed does not absolutely guarantee that it cannot get a dust blob. That said, I have never once read of a JVC owner with a dust blob, but there are probably hundreds of LCD projector owners complaining about dust blobs on various forums. All of the 3LCD brands will get hit.

You can't necessarily use propellant air, as the stuff in that mixture, the pressure, and the very different temperature, can actually cause harm to certain parts, and that it may not be enough to clean it anyways, besides just moving dust all around to other inaccessible parts.

OTOH, there are for certain models, consumer written instructions for cleaning dust blobs. I think I just posted one recently for Panasonics, lemme search my posts . . . .

Ok, here are instructions for cleaning the Pana 3000. I found one set for the 2000, but they seem skecthy to me TBH, and haven't run across one for the 4000 yet.
Successful Removal of Dust Blob

Are the JVCs very flexible with placements (horizontal/vertical shifts)?
Yes, like LCD PJs, they are quite flexible. A different world altogether from the vast majority of DLP projectors.

E

erock33

Audioholic Intern
I am currently researching projectors and have found that the Epson 8500 seems to be king of the hill in the reasonable price range as far as performance and customer service. At least as far as the "experts" opinion for what thats worth.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am currently researching projectors and have found that the Epson 8500 seems to be king of the hill in the reasonable price range as far as performance and customer service. At least as far as the "experts" opinion for what thats worth.
Yeah, but it's an LCD projector and, thus, does not have a sealed (optical) light path and are prone to dust blobs after a while?

I've only owned 2 projectors in my life.:D

The first one was a SharpVision, which was retailed @ $10K. It was a single LCD PJ, but I don't recall ever experiencing any dust blobs throughout the 10 yr period I owned it.

My 2nd PJ is my current Optoma HD81-LV DLP, which does have a sealed light path.

So I guess I better stick with DILA/LCOS and DLP PJs that have sealed light paths.:D

B

bugzbunny

Audiophyte
Which JVC would you recommend?

Sorry man. At least they did try, in terms of CS, but I guess it's the incessant QA issues at fault.

By the end of the year, a new Pana will probably be out already. As with TVs, it's every year with PJs.

The natural competitor to the 4000 is Epson's 8500. The Pana will win in terms of feature set, and the Epson will slightly edge out in blacks. Epson seems to have superb CS. Pana, I do not know.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would get the JVC RS15 or RS25, but with the LED projectors coming out this year and next year, some people are wondering if they should hold out until then. I know I am looking forward to LED projectors that have 60,000 hrs of lamp life.:D

E

erock33

Audioholic Intern
Question is, when will the LED home theater projectors actually be affordable? 5-10 years?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Question is, when will the LED home theater projectors actually be affordable? 5-10 years?
I don't think it will take that long.

As fast as everything is moving, I predict LED PJs will be in the $3-5K range in 3 yrs.:D

E

erock33

Audioholic Intern
I don't think it will take that long.

As fast as everything is moving, I predict LED PJs will be in the $3-5K range in 3 yrs.:D
That would be sooo nice to see it in that range in 3 or 5 years. Let's hope.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I would get the JVC RS15 or RS25, but with the LED projectors coming out this year and next year, some people are wondering if they should hold out until then. I know I am looking forward to LED projectors that have 60,000 hrs of lamp life.:D
It's a terrible thing actually. No excuse to upgrade after the bulb burns out. :eek:

As far as reliability Epson usually is king in that department. It's harder to find a used Epson projector in the classifieds than it is with Sanyo and Panasonic. And the difference is significant IMO. That being said I've not had too many issues with my Optoma. So I wonder if it's got something to do with your setup. Sounds like something is getting fried. Have you tried switching plugs and surge protectors. I'm suspicious of a surge frying the board. A tougher projector would probably handle it though.

B

bhuskins

Audioholic Intern
My experience with Optoma is the same...good service but all too often needed.

A

audioman

Enthusiast
projectors

I am happy with my 2 epson projectors 8500 and 8700 ub and my L.E.D based light source multimedia CASIO slim projectors 255 and mercury based xj41s, after all I have three HT receiver/surround setup and 4 audio only setups using electrostats and planars!:D:eek:

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
ADTG....

you officially have the worst luck with consumer electronics out of anyone on the whole wide internet :(

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
That's my thinking too. I'll see if they will go for it.

But at the same time, I'm kind of fed up with Optoma reliability.
Before you throw in the towel on them, make sure they feel your pain, so I second the "demand an upgrade" route. They owe you that much after multiple failures.
At the same time, I'll echo the other suggestion to review your power and setup to be sure you are not inducing the issue onto an overly sensitive design. It doesn't absolve them of the damage-intolerant design issue but it may be an indicator that, possibly, things are not optimum with airflow or power.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis