If you have to evacuate, what of your audio gear do you grab?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Got to thinking more about this as I did something different this year in packing for evacuation....last year I packed some but never had to go....this year the fire was much scarier and winds were not in our favor at all and we were losing power too....so I did evacuate this year....Friday afternoon and returned Monday afternoon after reports of wind change, successful backfires, a bit of rain this morning, cooler temps, better air and open highway :). This year only the most portable stuff, like thumb drives and backup drives and headphones....last year a coupla pair of speakers, one because they were still packed in the box I got 'em in and hadn't installed, another an active pair in case I got stuck in a motel room or something.....plus portable players. That means I was leaving behind four multich avr systems and one 2ch system and all the associated gear....figured well without the house who knows what I'd do audio wise and the insurance is in place.....

What would you do?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
How about hiring a mover to save at least your best multichannel system and your best 2 channel system along with at least one large screen TV set. If your insurance policy can cover the rest of most of the remaining AV equipment, that is what I would do if at all possible.

Keep safe my friend!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How about hiring a mover to save at least your best multichannel system and your best 2 channel system along at least one large screen TV set. If your insurance policy can cover the rest of most of the remaining AV equipment, that is what I would do if at all possible.

Keep safe my friend!
LOL not much of an option for such luxurious arrangements. I do have a 15 passenger van, but still had the seats in last year, had three rows out this year so had more space and easier to use but time was short even for that pack job, I wanted out. We were level 1 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon and 3 in the evening....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It heavily depends on the lead time. I'd grab some clothes and dress the kids in case I have minutes. If I have a few hours, I'd surely grab my Qnap NAS, a few laptops, My HD600, and maybe my Behringer DAC.
Edit: I'd Also grab one Wifi AP.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It heavily depends on the lead time. I'd grab some clothes and dress the kids in case I have minutes. If I have a few hours, I'd surely grab my qnap NAS, a few laptops, My HD600, and maybe my Behringer DAC.
Yeah was already updating my go bag of basic clothing/toiletries portable stuff needed (the absolute essentials for running away) because of level 1 and putting some stuff like essential records, expensive tools/gear/toys in the van before the go bag....when it ramped up the next two levels within 6 hours of each other (altho parts of town were level 2 before me too).

This fire started August 1st in a rugged remote wilderness area about 15 miles east of us, and grew relatively slowly while they built defenses and the winds are traditionally westerly so we had little smoke issues generally (some, just depended a bit on the air flow patterns)...our town protection was fortunately a primary concern of the firefighting, they usually just let wilderness burn. Now the smoke issues are mostly for the Bend area and the towns along 97 nearby. We have some other fires in Oregon, too, but this is the big one for central Oregon....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Stay safe! AVR/Speakers could be replaced. a good Health, not so much.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Stay safe! AVR/Speakers could be replaced. a good Health, not so much.
Yep, much better to be able to go shopping for new gear suited to the next living space if needed! Altho I did take two of my best bikes (and a good amount of associated gear....that's some $ ! :) )....but was leaving seven behind :(

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Document it, get pics of SN#s and make sure you have any receipts. Then leave it. Gear can be replaced.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Good luck and may God keep you safe and out of harms way. We are all hoping for the best.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good luck and may God keep you safe and out of harms way. We are all hoping for the best.
Doing well, thanks.

All your important papers in a box ready to go? I'd take computers, especially a master computer.
Still in the truck ready to go! I only have two laptops and a few portable devices so that's easy to quickly pack and go with....

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Doing well, thanks.

Still in the truck ready to go! I only have two laptops and a few portable devices so that's easy to quickly pack and go with....
Family heirlooms or pictures that cannot be duplicated? If you have room, take that as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Family heirlooms or pictures that cannot be duplicated? If you have room, take that as well.
My sister is the keeper of the family heirlooms/photos but there are a few pieces of wall art I might pack up if we move into level 3 again....but was just reading a local article on how her neighborhood in south Eugene is at a fairly high fire risk these days, too....just the way it is out here in drought-land.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Got to thinking more about this as I did something different this year in packing for evacuation....last year I packed some but never had to go....this year the fire was much scarier and winds were not in our favor at all and we were losing power too....so I did evacuate this year....Friday afternoon and returned Monday afternoon after reports of wind change, successful backfires, a bit of rain this morning, cooler temps, better air and open highway :). This year only the most portable stuff, like thumb drives and backup drives and headphones....last year a coupla pair of speakers, one because they were still packed in the box I got 'em in and hadn't installed, another an active pair in case I got stuck in a motel room or something.....plus portable players. That means I was leaving behind four multich avr systems and one 2ch system and all the associated gear....figured well without the house who knows what I'd do audio wise and the insurance is in place.....

What would you do?
As long as I have a guitar and a bike I'll be happy!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
When I fled hurricane Irma, I took my Bagby Continuums. I had just gotten hooked on them, and I found out that the tweeter was suddenly and permanently NLA.

Now it would be my JBL s38 and my Icepower amp kit because it's all I need for portable and powerful full range performance. It's much easier to be away from home when you have adequate music.

The Tempests are too big to take but I would have to make arrangements to protect those. Others I can still get the kits for if they needed to be rebuilt.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When I fled hurricane Irma, I took my Bagby Continuums. I had just gotten hooked on them, and I found out that the tweeter was suddenly and permanently NLA.

Now it would be my JBL s38 and my Icepower amp kit because it's all I need for portable and powerful full range performance. It's much easier to be away from home when you have adequate music.

The Tempests are too big to take but I would have to make arrangements to protect those. Others I can still get the kits for if they needed to be rebuilt.
I take it Ian didn't cause you to pack 'em up, tho?

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
It's really quite simple , I'll just grab my insurance policy. But flooding is never going to happen, to my little shack in the woods. I'm an hours drive to the coast, and it's all up-hill driving home on a gravel road, built back in the 18 hundreds for Bullock teams hawling out timber. Three days to get to the coast and two days back, It was hard in those days, Now most of the Timber has gone, and the land is used for beef cattle, including my little 200 acre patch.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis