If you could........would you?

M

Mitchell Torres

Audioholic Intern
I am getting a GREAT deal on an Yamaha RX-V650, it is a 7.1.........now here is the dilema. My room will most definately NOT support a 7.1 layout, at best it will support a 5.1 because of seating problems. What will I lose if anything by only using a 5.1 set up?

**edit forgot to ask the question**

So if you were in my situation would you?

Thanks!

Mitchell

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Mitchell Torres said:
I am getting a GREAT deal on an Yamaha RX-V650, it is a 7.1.........now here is the dilema. My room will most definately NOT support a 7.1 layout, at best it will support a 5.1 because of seating problems. What will I lose if anything by only using a 5.1 set up?

Thanks!

Mitchell

Well, in the future, you may be in a room that will allow you to expand to that 7.1 and you will be ready :)

What you loose is some rear surround definition for directions, while you are not looking for pinpoint localization as in the front, the 180 degree rear soundfield is just too large to ignore better sector localizations. You will be missing the rear center channel that is mostly in the newer movies.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Go 7.1

Why not have the functionality just in case. It just makes sense to have a receiver that does both.

C

CosmicOne

Junior Audioholic
I have the RXV650 & it's very good,using it with 5.1 or 7.1 it will be great i tried both & they work well also if u use only 5.1 u will loose nothing coz the data for the surroundback channels will be sent to the surround channels instead.also the Pure Direct Mode for stereo is great.

M

Mitchell Torres

Audioholic Intern
Done deal and thanks again all!

shelled out $350.00 :D , now I am on the hunt for some speakers!!

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
I have the Yamaha RX-V1400 with a 7 channel config. I preffer to use the pressence speakers instead of the surround back speakers; you can still use your 7.1 config if you use the pressence speakers with the CINEMA DSP modes. Can you accommodate the pressence speakers in your room?. I think this is an option to use all the potential of your system.

M

Mitchell Torres

Audioholic Intern
the layout of my room will not support the 7.1 my couch is against the back wall. The current speaker location is about 8 inches behind the seating position so perhaps dipoles along the back and side walls? If you all have some suggestions that would be great. I saw another thread about someone haveing the same type of problem because his seating area was his bed which of course was against the wall as well. I think it was also mentioned that there are in walls but I really dont want to go that route. I have been happy using this receiver I have now which splits a 3rd channel to simulate the 2 surrounds, hardly giving a surround feeling as the same sound is reproduced in both rears simultaneously. haha quite the jump from 3 to 7.1 :eek:

Thanks a ton you all have been helpfull and cant wait to see your suggestions, if there are any.

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
The pressence speakers are placed like 1 feet above the front speakers and the center channel. Can you accomodate this in your room?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis