If I only have an amp rated at 100 Watts per channel -

T

twochordcool

Junior Audioholic
...would I get better performance out the Paradigm Titans, rated at a maximum of 100 Watts for a suitable amplifier?

...and should I "rule out" the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's that recommend an amplifier up to 200 Watts?

Would matching up an amplifier with the recommended maximum power of a speaker be wise / necessary?

Again, pardon my ignorance!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Nope, it's not necessary. That value is a maximum. In fact, you can run speakers rated at 100W with a 200W amp, just as long as you don't crank it too high. In fact, it's probably a better idea to do that because the 200w amp won't be under as much stress as a 100W amp at the same output level, meaning lower distortion and a lesser chance of clipping.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
A speaker with an RMS rating of 100 watts should be able to handle just about any receiver on the market. Period. My Polk towers can handle up to 300 watts per channel, and I'll never approach that figure. What's more important is the speakers SPL rating. The higher the rating, the easier it is on the amplifier to drive the speaker. What is your amp/receiver?

I

ifarrell

Enthusiast
The CBM-170s have a maximum recomended power of 200 watts, which is quite different from recomended amplifier power. In fact, anything from 25 watts up should be able to drive them, though obviously 25 is the bare minimum.

D

dreadstar

Audioholic Intern
The max recommended power is just that.

However a 200 watt amp driving a 100 watt/continuous speaker will sound cleaner than a 100 watt amp trying to do the same task at high volume. You also run a lower risk of clipping the amp and damaging both it and the speakers.

My yamaha NS-1000M are rated at 100 watts continous i use 2 MX-1000U 260 watt amps for them. never had a hic-up.

Main thing to look for is the 1 watt/meter db rating the higher this is the more efficient the speakers are.
Also keep in mind the Ohm rating of your speakers match the amplifier to this. ie 8 ohm 6 ohm or 4 ohm these are the most common.

Speakers do not stay at exactly these figures however when driven so your amp should have the head room to deal with these changes.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You shouldn't worry too much about power handling unless your receiver is a bottom of the line model. Don't take for granted that the rated 100w on your receiver is correct either though... I would be much more concerned about the sound of each speaker and whether they will be sufficient for your room. The 170s will walk all over the Titans in terms of sound quality, and that is worth more than any other factor. I'd say the 170s need a sub, where the Titans could get away without one for a while.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis