IF EXIST: HDMI to Analog Multichannel Audio Converter

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
I have a situation where I have multiple DVD/Blu-ray players, an HDMI switcher, and taking the analog audio outputs to an 8-bus mixing desk which feeds L,C,R,Ls,Rs directly.

Rather than build a separate switcher for the analog audio outputs of each player, it would be terrific if there existed a converter that took the HDMI out from the HDMI switcher and converted it to 8 analog outputs (preferably balanced XLR) that I can feed to the mixer and have the convenience of not having to deal with separate switches for audio and video.

I couldn't find such a beast at my usual shopping sites. I may not have typed the correct keywords. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, and if it exists, I would love to hear about it and where to get one. :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Least expensive option is Onkyo's preamp/processor. It can often be had for around $700-800 if you look hard enough.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The cheap solution is extremely complex and not worth the trouble IMO.

But they do have ones that repeat the HDMI video and split off the audio channels. you could take those lines and convert them into XLRs

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
That pretty much confirms what my search seemed to suggest. Okay thanks guys.. time to get out those wafer switches and start wiring... :D

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
A few months ago, I found a similar device for a friend. He had a bunch of computer speakers that could accept stereo mini-jacks, but he didn't want to buy a receiver. I found him a device like this, and he's happy as a pig in,,,,, um, slop.

I told him that he could get a decent 5.1 AVR that would give him much better performance and more versatility, but then he countered with..., "But can I use it with the speakers I already have?"

And I have to admit, he had me there. Ummmm, at least I think he did.

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
As luck would have it, a friend of mine was having trouble getting a Zektor MAS7.1 to work with his combination of projector and BD player, so he wanted to swap it for my HDMI switcher and give it a try. So I have the Zektor here and wired analog outs from both players to it and the HDMI as well. Same end result as I desired. It switches both players and the audio and it all comes out one set of 8 analog channels.

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
I Like This Atlona Idea

So since my 7.1 receiver isnt hdmi 1.3 i could play blue ray hdmi into the atlona and the 3.5mm to rca cables go too the pre-amp inputs on the receiver ,is this correct?
Then could run the hdmi from the atlona to the tv,projector or monitor right?
It would be tremendous!
I dont have bd player analoge outs!

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
Decent price too , for a decoder interface

Yes this is a fine solution,a repeater too w/auto signal gain!!
It must decode and covert to analoge,but how about the subwoofer channel?
I will need the 3.5mm jack cable to rca adaptor from part sexpress,x 4 lol
Oh I see the bass will be fine!
I would like to listen too the lossless lpcm audio on my 7.2 setup,ive 2 netflix blueray movies here now!

Thanks ninja,i use optical sonic wave glass audio cables,but i can go analoge for 2ft,i will need the hdmi going out to monitor and this whiz box will be like a receiver upgrade for 7.1 lpcm audio!
Im thinking about cd playback,hummm,on the ps3 i can chose which audio output to be active,i will leave the optical going to the avr and choose that on dvd,cd when its nessesary,then for dts md i will chose hdmi going thru the ambery unit turning the analoge inputs on!
I would like to research this a little,maybe a reveiw or a few!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Yes this is a fine solution,a repeater too w/auto signal gain!!
It must decode and covert to analoge,but how about the subwoofer channel?
I will need the 3.5mm jack cable to rca adaptor from part sexpress,x 4 lol
Oh I see the bass will be fine!
I would like to listen too the lossless lpcm audio on my 7.2 setup,ive 2 netflix blueray movies here now!

Thanks ninja,i use optical sonic wave glass audio cables,but i can go analoge for 2ft,i will need the hdmi going out to monitor and this whiz box will be like a receiver upgrade for 7.1 lpcm audio!
Im thinking about cd playback,hummm,on the ps3 i can chose which audio output to be active,i will leave the optical going to the avr and choose that on dvd,cd when its nessesary,then for dts md i will chose hdmi going thru the ambery unit turning the analoge inputs on!
I would like to research this a little,maybe a reveiw or a few!
You'd plug a stereo y-cable into each and then feed the analog inputs. For the 2 outputs.

Sub is the LFE one

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
Yes ive priced those cables

A excellent set of 4-3.5mm too rca pair comes too $49.76 at partsexpress and RS has a cheap molded set for $29.96 but i havent looked on my favorite sellers at e-bay, ive delt with avsource,and others in past with super deals!
THANKS AGAIN, this could be great,i just need too change the ps3 menu items and switch back and forth proficiently enough too have some hair left lol!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
A excellent set of 4-3.5mm too rca pair comes too $49.76 at partsexpress and RS has a cheap molded set for $29.96...
Or you could get four of them from Monoprice.com for $2.44 + shipping (linked here). :) It's worth checking out, IMO. You won't be showing these off to the neighbors, but I bet that they work just fine.

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
Thanks OVERLORD

I ordered the 3ft gold plated 22awg 3.5mm to rca pair x 4 and it was 2 day shipping for $17.13
Perfect,the other one would be fine but they were too long at 6ft,i ordered the 3ft ones!
Is there a reveiw of the Ambery hdmi to analoge converter,im looking at that for my ps3,is there DAC a excellent one?
If it is good at $128.00 im in ! The other similar one is $219.00
I will look on the forum a little !!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis