IEM Buying Advice - budget $500-700

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Re posting from my Reddit account to see if you guys have any other suggestions: Nobile Audio "Sage" was what was recommended there.

Looking to replace my Massdrop x NuForce EDC3s. There're decent but lack quality bass and midrange. Anyways up'd my budget significantly for the new pair. Looking for a quality pair of IEMs that have good mid-range and generous bass. I'm ok with not having an extremely neutral pair of IEMs. I have a pair of HD-xx's and the bass doesn't seem lively, ya know. Looking for something with a little character. I'll probably be using these new IEMs mostly when on the go, when working out, and cycling. At some point will probably get a headphone amp from Fiio to go along with it. So for 700 bucks max what would you recommend?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Not your typical headphones nor the price point, but If I'd had to point to somewhere, (based on my ownership of Shure SE425's) I'd suggest you a Shure SE535 and you'd also find few lower end custom UE models near your price point.
with IEMs proper fit is absolutely the key to get good sound (especially bass),so custom fit should be given higher consideration.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/3/15913270/shure-se535-headphones-review
https://custom.ultimateears.com/collections/earphones

bonus:
https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-Xelento-Remote-Tesla-in-Ear/dp/B071CTM4ZW/

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
+/- $700 is rarefied air for me, though I would love to be able to afford a pair from Noble or the likes of Campfire Audio. My most expensive pair of IEMs are the Ultimate Ears UE900s, which I adore. BSA is spot on with the recommendations.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
so custom fit should be given higher consideration.
Hey thanks for the advice! Noble does make custom fits on their Acrylic version for under $600 (but a 2 month wait time) or the UE 5 CSXs for $500.

I'd assume the 100 dollar difference would be: the Nobile Acrylic has 3 Knowles® balanced armature drivers per side and UE 5 has 2 proprietary balanced armatures with 2-way crossover

The more knowles the better I guess.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I'd suggest you a Shure SE535
So after re reading that article twice I decided to pull the trigger on Friday. Just put these things in my ears this morning and there’s a night and day difference between the the 535s and the EDC 3, bass being the most notable. Hopefully these will last for a long time. Anyways thanks for the great advice chief! :)

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Hopefully these will last for a long time.
Just thought I'd leave an update here. So I just sent in my replacement pair of 535s for repair today :rolleyes:. I love the IEMs when their working but this sucks. The left channel died for the second time. Anyways, the customer service seems to be very good but it's super strange having the left channel die for the second time. I spoke with them on the phone and I tried all their troubleshooting tips with no success. + bought a replacement pair of cables. Still no luck. It's not like I'm abusing the IEMs, I keep them clean and in their case when transporting. For the price I paid, I'm pretty bummed out this is happening again. Anyone had any similar issues with Shure earphones?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis