Identifying Legitimately High Fidelity Loudspeaker: The Drivers

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the informative article! Peace and goodwill.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Check out our recently added YouTube video discussion on Loudspeaker Drivers with Shane Rich, Technical Director of RBH Sound.

A

ajemeditor

Audiophyte
Gene- what about cast polymer baskets ? Presumably they will have the least resonance, and yet with mOderN chemistries, be as or more stronger than aluminum cast ? I think boers and Wilkins highlights polymer as a feature of many of their drivers (also who makes their own drivers other than Focal?)

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Regarding resonance issues with AMT tweeters, do you believe the RAAL tweeters fall into that category Gene?

P

phaser78

Audiophyte
Your article is great...after years of searching for hi-end sound on a budget i think i've learned that price isnt always a guarantee of quality construction! Every time i bring someone into my living room to play vinyl they always remark about how great my system sounds and they oooh and awww over the marantz (or the other good gear: rotel, technics, tascam) but nobody gives the Realistic "Optimus 400" speakers any of the credit...in my opinion, the Optimus 400's are MUCH better speakers than anyone gave them credit for...i refoamed mine when i got them and i was flabbergasted to see what the build quality is like: internal bracing, lots of damping material, separate midrange enclosure, cast aluminum baskets, super heavy magnet structure and that amazing planar tweeter...and they are gorgeous with real walnut veneer! i think this was a magical speaker that was manufactured at the right place/time with good materials and just never got the credit because it was Radio Shack competing with all the big US names at the time but these speakers run circles around any "rack system" speakers of that period from Pioneer, Kenwood etc..they easily compare with AR, Polk, Advent of the same era but audiophiles wouldnt be caught dead shopping in a Radio Shack! optimus -400 2.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis