Ideal Viewing distance help - 135/150 inch screen

D

Divyam

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I am planning to build a dedicated HT with a 7.2.4 setup. My room size is 21 ft x 15 ft x 9 ft. I will use the room for movies, music and games (33% each)

My final components are as follows:

Projector JVC DLA NX7
Screen Elite AR150H2-AUHD / Elite AR135H2-AUHD
Receiver Marantz 8012
Power Amp Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3
Woofers (x2) Rythmik F18
Speakers LCR B&W CT 7.3 LCRS
Speakers Surrounds B&W CWM 7.5
Speakers Atmos B&W CCM 684

As we can see, I am confused between going for a 135 inch or a 150 inch screen. What would be the ideal viewing distance for both the sizes. I have researched quite a bit on this and have found varying opinions. I was thinking of going for 11 feet for the 135 inch and 12 feet for the 150 inch. Would that be too close/far? Kindly help thanks!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hi all,

I am planning to build a dedicated HT with a 7.2.4 setup. My room size is 21 ft x 15 ft x 9 ft. I will use the room for movies, music and games (33% each)

My final components are as follows:

Projector JVC DLA NX7
Screen Elite AR150H2-AUHD / Elite AR135H2-AUHD
Receiver Marantz 8012
Power Amp Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3
Woofers (x2) Rythmik F18
Speakers LCR B&W CT 7.3 LCRS
Speakers Surrounds B&W CWM 7.5
Speakers Atmos B&W CCM 684

As we can see, I am confused between going for a 135 inch or a 150 inch screen. What would be the ideal viewing distance for both the sizes. I have researched quite a bit on this and have found varying opinions. I was thinking of going for 11 feet for the 135 inch and 12 feet for the 150 inch. Would that be too close/far? Kindly help thanks!
My last two theaters I've kept viewing distance at about 1/1. My Screen is 120" and my viewing distance is about 10 feet. I think your two options you've laid out look good. The screen will be close to the same at either distance, but may be larger for the second row (if you have one). The larger screen will not be as bright though.

Use this calculator to get an idea of how bright your image will be.

D

Divyam

Enthusiast
My last two theaters I've kept viewing distance at about 1/1. My Screen is 120" and my viewing distance is about 10 feet. I think your two options you've laid out look good. The screen will be close to the same at either distance, but may be larger for the second row (if you have one). The larger screen will not be as bright though.

Use this calculator to get an idea of how bright your image will be.
Thank you so much! I will go ahead with approx 11-12 feet itself!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The most common screen size these days that I am seeing is 10" to 12" of screen diagonal for each foot of viewing distance.

The STRONGEST recommendation, if at all possible, is to buy a projector first and see what you like, then get a screen at the size that you find appropriate to your tastes.

I've physically gone in with a projector to people's homes and had them sit on a lawn chair at their viewing distance to test different screen sizes to ensure that the size was appropriate to their viewing distance. It makes far more sense to know ahead of time if at all possible.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My room size is 21 ft x 15 ft x 9 ft...JVC DLA NX7....12 feet for the 150 inch. Would that be too close/far? Kindly help thanks!
BTW, Great PJ! I love my NX5.

My viewing distance is 18FT (room is 26' x 22' x 14' ceiling). Screen size is 150".

And my wife complains all the time that the 150" screen is TOO BIG (from 18' distance) !!!

I am glad I didn't get a 200" screen. :eek:

So you might want to factor in your wife if she is going to be watching movies with you all the time. :D

Last edited:
Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Nice! Your going to have a killer HT room! If I had a setup like that, I'd be sitting as close as I could with my big box of popcorn and ice cold coke! Every Night would be big screen movie night!!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

My viewing distance is 18FT (room is 26' x 22' x 14' ceiling). Screen size is 150".

And my wife complains all the time that the 150" screen is TOO BIG (from 18' distance) !!!

So you might want to factor in your wife if she is going to be watching movies with you all the time. :D
Too big. Crazy talk unless you have to turn your head to see the whole screen. :cool:

D

Divyam

Enthusiast
The most common screen size these days that I am seeing is 10" to 12" of screen diagonal for each foot of viewing distance.

The STRONGEST recommendation, if at all possible, is to buy a projector first and see what you like, then get a screen at the size that you find appropriate to your tastes.

I've physically gone in with a projector to people's homes and had them sit on a lawn chair at their viewing distance to test different screen sizes to ensure that the size was appropriate to their viewing distance. It makes far more sense to know ahead of time if at all possible.
Thanks a lot! I will do a demo before finalizing then!

D

Divyam

Enthusiast

Haha got it! Thanks

D

Divyam

Enthusiast
Nice! Your going to have a killer HT room! If I had a setup like that, I'd be sitting as close as I could with my big box of popcorn and ice cold coke! Every Night would be big screen movie night!!
Thanks a lot man! Thats the aim :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis