"Ideal" viewing distance for projection t.v.

Saint

Saint

Junior Audioholic
What is the ideal distance to be seated away from a 51" rear projection t.v. so that you have the benefit of the large screen, but so that you're not seeing the potential pixilation?

I'm currently too close to mine, and the further back I sit the better it looks. Even regular non-HD analog sattelite looks a hell of a lot better when I'm further back.

Is there a general rule of thumb?

Also, I assume the further I sit back the further away from the t..v I need to place the main speakers?

1.5 to 2x screen width. The better the quality of the set and the source material, the closer you can get. Many high end home theater installs include a secondary row of seating that is also designed for watching standard definition TV (not just allowing more people in the room).

Also, you'll want to try this trick:

Next time you go to a movie walk across the width of the screen and count the number of steps... Then walk away (perpendicular) from the screen to where you prefer to sit and count the steps. That's your width-to-distance ratio that you prefer. Now you know the goal for an optimum home theater room. If it's 1:1 then you need some good quality source material AND a very high quality system. If it's 2:1 you have some leeway.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/how_viewing_dif.html

An alternate way to determine that takes into account your source material. Kinda makes more sense to me since the distance between the horizontal scan lines are your biggest concern. I can vouch that about 6x screen height isn't quite enough for standard def video.

plhart

Audioholic
The SMPTE recommendation for commercial theater viewing is the screen should subtend 30 degrees of your forward vision. Hawk's 2.5 to 3 times screen height is a very close approximation.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis