I2S support on next gen receivers

H

Hyperbole

Enthusiast
Hi there Audioholics. I hope nobody minds a bit of speculative discussion for next generation of receivers, for entertainment purposes only. What do you all think WILL come for next generation of receivers? And what would you LIKE to see for next generation of receivers?

I wouldn't mind starting with the prediction that we will see support for I2S clocking start to come in.

I would like to see a trend towards modular design ala NAD 777 . Even better, I'd like to be able to add or subtract features or levels of quality from a receiver before ordering. (wishful thinking).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If we are lucky, the next step will be the new HDMI protocol. And some Fluff. I didn't know anything about I^2S until now... looks cool, but I've only had a cursory read. ;)
Some modular is available, but customization comes at a cost!.
I'd happily accept a 16 Channel, Dirac enabled AVR with 8-fully Assignable Amps.
But that's just me, and I just typed that fantasy into another thread minutes ago! :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep never heard of I2S. Modular would be good but am not holding my breath for that either. IIRC when Nad first tried that they fell down badly, altho I understand they got better at it. Selling joe public on modularity....good luck. I'd like to see a different standard of connectivity than hdmi due all its issues.....

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
If we are lucky, the next step will be the new HDMI protocol. And some Fluff. I didn't know anything about I^2S until now... looks cool, but I've only had a cursory read. ;)
Some modular is available, but customization comes at a cost!.
I'd happily accept a 16 Channel, Dirac enabled AVR with 8-fully Assignable Amps.
But that's just me, and I just typed that fantasy into another thread minutes ago! :p
Well if you can't yet get your 16 channel dream dirac, processor, at least you can still afford the Rootbeer and Lollipop. ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
FWIW, I already use I2S protocol on my RPi streamer to feed the digi signal to the DAC via GPIO pins.

This is one of the advantages of the RPi audiophile streamers!

Very few consumer level products utilize this protocol. I don't foresee it as common place in AVRs any time soon.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis