I will never buy another Sony product again

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
I have had increasing bad luck with Sony....

I had a Sony CD-ROM drive in my computer, all it would do was spin up and down, up and down....wouldn't read a CD from the day I got it. I still have it, but I dont use it.

We bought a DVD player when they first came out..a Sony...worked fine for about a week, then after that, it was a pain to get to read a DVD or CD.

Threw it out.

Then, I got a DVD-ROM drive for my computer, same thing as the previous CD-ROM drive..wouldnt read CD's or DVD's from the begining. Again, I still have it, but i wont and dont use it.

Then I ruined a receiver which happened to be a Sony (ok, my fualt, but still....)

Also, my Denon's sound beats that Sony's sound ANY day!

And now this CD changer...I'm going to throw it out, but what it does is I will push disc skip and it will NOT spin to the right tray...it will spin and spin and spin.... :mad:

I will never ever (or at least attempt to never) buy another Sony product ever again....

:mad:

Well...thats my rant....

Cyg

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
However, me and my mom have Sony LCD monitors for our computers and they work fine except that mine has a dent in it because i kicked it. It still works though...we also have a bunch of Sony TV's which work fine, but the remote for one of the TV's doesnt work properly.

Also, I now use an LG DVD burner..which seems to be going to the wayside....it now wont read or burn burnt or burnable DVD's. But it reads normal DVD's and music and data discs fine though. :(

Last edited:
algernon

algernon

Audioholic
I too have had bad luck with sony and will no longer buy their products (except PDA's). At least two portable cd radios and a cordless telephone/answering machine died long before they should have. OTOH, I have had two if their PDA's, and they are best in class type products. So what does Sony do? They stop making them. Go figure.

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
I'd still buy a sony TV, as I have had a 53" from them for about 8 years and it still looks and works great. Anything beside a TV, won't even consider it. I feel the same way about Toshiba as well.

B

bobman1235

Audioholic Intern
I agree, everything with the Sony name on it that I've ever owned has fallen apart or stopped working. You'd think with all the child slave labor they have they could put together a quality product.

I've heard their TVs are decent, but I refuse to even consider them.

Not even to mention that they never stick wtih standards and use proprietary stuff EVERYWHERE (can anyone say "memory stick"?)

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have a 9 year old playstation that still works just fine.....

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I've never had anything I've owned by Sony actually break (unless I broke it). I dropped my 9 year old discman about 2 yrs ago and it broke. I have a crappy Sony receiver (not my main one anymore thank goodness) that works fine, my 10yr old walkman still works, my 15yr old 13" tv still works. I've had generally positive experiences with Sony, but almost everyone I know has had a Sony product break down on them. I'll never again buy a Sony receiver, but there is nothing wrong (mechanically) with the one I have. I happen to think the RP LCD TVs Sony has out right now are great looking, and are really coming down in price.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
I have a crappy Sony receiver
How quickly it goes from:

To me the Sony receiver is worth more than the price tag.
To "crappy".

Dude, I'm totally telling your GF.

Zing! Got you again.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Lol,

I meant C.R.A.P.P.Y, like as in Cool Really Awesome Power Packed sonY. Come on all the kids are sayng it. Jeesh, I guess you're not up on the slang, so long street cred for Nomas, and please don't tell. She'll hurt me... shh shes coming, I've got to go.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I dunno, my MDR-7506 studio headphones are the best I've put on my head and have taken a lot of abuse and still sound awesome. That said, I don't put any faith in their other electronics, save for their TVs (VAIO...just say no).

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
mrnomas said:
How quickly it goes from:

"To me the Sony receiver is worth more than the price tag."

To "crappy".

Dude, I'm totally telling your GF.

Zing! Got you again.

I was thinking the same myself. :p

I can sympathize with the Sony sentiment. It seems the only thing they can make any more is TV's and the game console. I'm really hoping their older Hi-8 VCRs were made as well as the PS2 is since I'll have to add one to the system later on.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Yeah...of the things that are Sony that DO work (some I may have mentioned before)

Sony 53" TV...bought a couple of years ago.
Sony TV (i dont know how big it is...pretty big but not a "big screen", and i dont know when my dad bought it)
Another Sony TV
Sony VCR
Sony Discman...bought in '04....still works surprisingly....

Anything else, or more, I will refuse to buy.

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
miklorsmith said:
Japanese child-slave labor?
look on the info label 90% of sony equipment says made in china
so its actually prison labor

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Just to add my 2 cents,

I bought a Sony cd changer/player about 4 years ago, DOA, now the replacement is starting to have some weird bearing noise during a cold start (being played after sitting idle for a while).

My dad on the other hand has an 8 yr old Sony receiver, still great, Sony cd changer also, no complaints.

My aunt still has her sony 27" Trinitron TV that is probably at least 12 yrs old (thing was worth over $2500 If i remember) still works except for the remote (tortured by kids)

Other friends have similar stories, some are good, some are bad.

Quality Control seems to lacking (Sony), why else would you get some many different stories?

Sony used to have good warranties on all their gear, has that changed?

IMHO, All large consumer mfg's have their strengths and weaknesses, luckily we have the internet to help weed out the junk ;)

Last edited:
Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
I have 3 Sony cd players, 2 of them the 300 disc megachangers and the other is a 5 disc player/recorder and I must say I haven't had any (knocking on wood) problems so far....I've had one of the megachangers for a couple of years.

I did buy a Sony walkman mini-disc player that is cool, but the function buttons wore out in a matter of no time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis