I went to a Wonderful Concert last night and you can too until April 7

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I went to a wonderful concert last night at the Northrop Auditorium at the University of Minnesota.
This hall houses one of the finest Orchestral organs in the world. It was built by the famed Aeolian Skinner company between 1932 and 1936. These organs are massive and complex, and a lot have been destroyed after falling into disrepair. This one came on hard times, but was lovingly restored starting in 2016. As was not uncommon at this time it was built, many of these orchestral organs are totally enclosed and this organ is, so no pipes are visible. The sound emanates from openings above the stage.

Last night Anna Lapwood gave a thrilling recital on the instrument. Anna Lapwood is 28 years old, and was appointed master of music and the choristers at Pembroke College Cambridge six years ago. She was by far the youngest individual to ever garner such a prestigious appointment. She has popularized the organ through social media and has millions of followers world wide. She is one of the organists to the Royal Albert Hall. She has multiple responsibilities at Cambridge including teaching, training and conducting the chapel choir. In addition she is performer, arranger, transcriber and performs world wide. She also is BBC commentator especially during the Proms season. She has millions of followers world wide on social media.

So, it was no surprise to me that Northrop auditorium was packed with a sell out crowd last night. As is common for Lapwood organ events she included a number of her transcriptions of music from the movies.

Anyhow her concert is available on line until April 7. It will cost you $10.00 to get your access code.

I have listed to this stream at full concert volume, and that is loud at times! The sound is really, really good. On my rig here, it actually sounded just like being in Northrup. My internal organs vibrated to the massive 32' pipes just like they did last night. Whoever made the recording did a superb job.

The engineers have followed the new streaming audio protocols which are gradually being enforced. This means that the average level will be lower than what you are used to. This is all to allow program to have much greater dynamic range, and the dynamic range of this recording is colossal. So my volume level was set at -1 db to reproduce at the level I heard in the hall. Heretofore I have set levels most often at -9 to -13 db. But it is of note most of my streams are reducing loudness to the new -18 LUFS. I will be posting about all these changes coming to the audio of audio and AV streams. There are changes afoot and I will be explaining why.

This experience is worth much, much more than the $10.00 for your digital ticket. I can tell you that you will find out how good your subs are from this stream!

Northrup was her first concert of her current US concert tour. She announced that her mother phoned in the interval to say she was listening to the live stream in England!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Has anyone streamed this concert yet? Hopefully you have not had any trouble connecting to the stream. I'm not sure how you would do this without an HTPC. With an HTPC it is easy. If anyone has tips on how to do it without, then please post. I mostly use computers for streaming, HTPC and DAW. I do use the odd app in my LG OLED via eARC, but that is mainly to receive the BPO in Atmos, as it is not supported in Windows.

I am committing the audio if this stream to the hard drive of my DAW right now. The video is protected by HDCP codes, but audio you can grab in real time.
My view is that at least an HTPC is part of the basics of an AV set up so you don't miss out on a lot of content.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Has anyone streamed this concert yet? Hopefully you have not had any trouble connecting to the stream. I'm not sure how you would do this without an HTPC. With an HTPC it is easy. If anyone has tips on how to do it without, then please post. I mostly use computers for streaming, HTPC and DAW. I do use the odd app in my LG OLED via eARC, but that is mainly to receive the BPO in Atmos, as it is not supported in Windows.

I am committing the audio if this stream to the hard drive of my DAW right now. The video is protected by HDCP codes, but audio you can grab in real time.
My view is that at least an HTPC is part of the basics of an AV set up so you don't miss out on a lot of content.
Just saw this. Will check it out as soon as I can.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Need to install the TV Bro browser on the Shield and see how well it streams. I'm at a lecture series all day Saturday so time is an issue. Wish it was available longer.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Need to install the TV Bro browser on the Shield and see how well it streams. I'm at a lecture series all day Saturday so time is an issue. Wish it was available longer.
You need an HTPC. No AV rig is complete without a computer to easily bring up a web page on your TV from a remote keyboard on your lap while in your favorite chair. That is part of the basic equipment for and AV rig. If you don't have one you won't even know how much of all that wonderful programming that is out there you are missing out on.

I have committed the audio portion of that stream to my DAW hard drive in WaveLab. It is edited, and the file normalized to EBU 128. It sounds marvelous.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Nvidia Shield TV Pro is quite capable but, while it supports Google Search via the BrowseHere app, it does not have an available Google Chrome app in the Google Play store. Some folks side load Chrome while others use TV browser apps like BrowseHere or the mentioned TV Bro. Using the remote controller with TV Bro works but is not exactly fun. Using Google Search via BrowseHere on the Shield Pro after connecting a Magic Mouse and keyboard was torture and I've started drinking as a result. That's what I get for going out and repurchasing the damn thing. I'm a sucker for cool devices that light up. Anyway, the website was just fine but web browsing on my TV will continue to be done with the Mac mini M1.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The Nvidia Shield TV Pro is quite capable but, while it supports Google Search via the BrowseHere app, it does not have an available Google Chrome app in the Google Play store. Some folks side load Chrome while others use TV browser apps like BrowseHere or the mentioned TV Bro. Using the remote controller with TV Bro works but is not exactly fun. Using Google Search via BrowseHere on the Shield Pro after connecting a Magic Mouse and keyboard was torture and I've started drinking as a result. That's what I get for going out and repurchasing the damn thing. I'm a sucker for cool devices that light up. Anyway, the website was just fine but web browsing on my TV will continue to be done with the Mac mini M1.
You are absolutely right. These poke and hunt streaming devices are a PITA, and I don't own any, and never will.

I do not think any serious AV system is complete without a computer among the peripherals. In fact I think that is the most important and useful peripheral of all.

My AV room has an HTPC and DAW. They are used far more than any other peripheral and I can't imagine the system without them. Our great room also has an HTPC. I don't have one in the family room, but that system is for TV, LPs, and the grandchildren's gaming.

Apps on TVs only get you so far. What is worse what apps you can load vary from TV to TV. So in my view TVs are not all that smart, but quite dumb.

I think people who can not easily throw up a web browser on their TV have no idea what they are missing. There are endless enjoyable and fascinating options from around the world not accessible by any other means.

So, an AV system without a computer in incomplete and highly limited.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You are absolutely right. These poke and hunt streaming devices are a PITA, and I don't own any, and never will.

I do not think any serious AV system is complete without a computer among the peripherals. In fact I think that is the most important and useful peripheral of all.

My AV room has an HTPC and DAW. They are used far more than any other peripheral and I can't imagine the system without them. Our great room also has an HTPC. I don't have one in the family room, but that system is for TV, LPs, and the grandchildren's gaming.

Apps on TVs only get you so far. What is worse what apps you can load vary from TV to TV. So in my view TVs are not all that smart, but quite dumb.

I think people who can not easily throw up a web browser on their TV have no idea what they are missing. There are endless enjoyable and fascinating options from around the world not accessible by any other means.

So, an AV system without a computer in incomplete and highly limited.
I installed the TV Bro browser and was able to stream the concert using my NVidia Shield. Yes, it is a PITA to use the browser without a keyboard, but hey, just a few extra minutes to log in and it played fine.

Nice facility and it was indeed a wonderful recording. I played it Friday night in stereo and then watched it again on Saturday with the Dolby Surround upmixer. The upmixer does a nice job of giving you that sense of being in a big room. I just have an SVS SB2000Pro subwoofer but the bass notes were nice and clear with good authority.

Anna Lapwood picked some interesting material and I was surprised at the number of movie sound tracks she chose. I am used to hearing more traditional material, although I have to admit that I have always liked the pipe organ in Interstellar. Thank you for the recommendation.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I installed the TV Bro browser and was able to stream the concert using my NVidia Shield. Yes, it is a PITA to use the browser without a keyboard, but hey, just a few extra minutes to log in and it played fine.

Nice facility and it was indeed a wonderful recording. I played it Friday night in stereo and then watched it again on Saturday with the Dolby Surround upmixer. The upmixer does a nice job of giving you that sense of being in a big room. I just have an SVS SB2000Pro subwoofer but the bass notes were nice and clear with good authority.

Anna Lapwood picked some interesting material and I was surprised at the number of movie sound tracks she chose. I am used to hearing more traditional material, although I have to admit that I have always liked the pipe organ in Interstellar. Thank you for the recommendation.
Glad you enjoyed that concert. Yes the recording was good. As far as I can tell it was recorded with one coincident stereo microphone, which was very close to where I was sitting.

Here in my room the sound was exactly as I remembered it. The sound balance was identical, including the bass. It was reassurance that this rig is perfectly tonally balanced. The vibration of my internal organs was identical here and in the hall, as well as the whole tonal balance and perspective.

I think the Dolby up mixer is incredible, as it caused the sound to be coming towards the upper end of the room but beyond the wall. it sounded just as it did in the concert hall with the sound coming from the openings above the stage. I was in the first balcony with microphone only slightly below and ahead of me. What I heard in the hall and my room, was virtually identical from memory. So it is reassuring that my room is properly set up and that my adjustable BSC system is perfectly adjusted. It confirms that I don't need additional so called room correction.

In essence I have proved that totally convincing reproduction in the home is possible under optimal circumstances.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Optimal being the operative word. We are entertaining a move and the house we are looking at has a basement room with much better proportions. Metal lath and plaster ceiling, though, which will be a hell of a demolition job. The plaster ceiling might offer better noise blocking but there is old knob and tube electrical in some parts and that would have to be the first thing that gets addressed.

I digress, though. Wish I was closer to MN as I would love to hear your system. Haven't been that way by car in many years.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis