I was starting to look at a used car purchase at the beginning of the year...

jinjuku

jinjuku

But with everything that is going on now not sure what I should be doing or how the next quarter or two market is going to end up looking like. Head scratcher for sure.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I can't imagine car dealers are getting much business at all right now. If you know what you want, call multiple dealerships and negotiate. They'd probably be desperate.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I do think you can get a pretty good deal right now. Make sure they recognize that you don't need a car today, but if they can sweeten the pot enough you would buy.
As far as should you, that depends on your own level of security (job/income).
Now is really a time to try to stretch your money as far as you can and try to save for those worst case scenarios, until the path out of CV pandemic becomes clear.

As an example, I just had three concrete terrace walls in my front yard covered with a stacked stone facade - something I had been planning for years and I had it quoted before CV had much traction (mid February), The work ended up getting done in early April.
Looking at this from an economic standpoint, by April it was clear that there is a good chance I could get the work done for substantially less if I waited another month or two when there would be more people looking for work. In my case I am retired on a fixed income and while my 401k's have suffered quite a bit, I also figure these guys need the work, I just hope that they are stretching the dollars I gave them as much as they can.

That is my 2 cents.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
most manufactures are offering 84 months at 0% right now. that should devalue all cars. if you are financing a used car do some math on new and see how close it is.

jinjuku

jinjuku

most manufactures are offering 84 months at 0% right now. that should devalue all cars. if you are financing a used car do some math on new and see how close it is.
Well a new model of what I want is ~$68K. A 4 year old CPO model is $24K.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well I am curious...what are you looking for?
A freakin' C8 mid-engine Convertible Corvette!
(Just a 30 second clip so you can see the lines)

But OTOH, the hard top has a removable roof panel and a window display for the engine bay (don't forget the light kit)!

...oh, you weren't asking me, were you?
Whoops! :oops:

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I think the price of cars and trucks is absolutely insane and fuel economy is worse than it could be, which makes a decision even harder. The thought of having a car payment for 7 years makes me want to find an old car or pickup and restore it.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
Well a new model of what I want is ~$68K. A 4 year old CPO model is $24K.
That's a big difference. When I sold cars every once in a while there would be cars that were close enough in cost for say a 2 year old car that because of special financing you could get a new one for less money per month. So I always suggest looking at it.

My family is changing gears on car buying, we will probably buy used and and what we can afford to pay cash for from now on. Car payments suck.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
I think the price of cars and trucks is absolutely insane and fuel economy is worse than it could be, which makes a decision even harder. The thought of having a car payment for 7 years makes me want to find an old car or pickup and restore it.
I can't believe how much cars and trucks are. I'd love to get a Toyota pickup, you cant touch one for less than 10k and thats with 150k in miles. Trucks are 50 60k brand new. It's insane!!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

But OTOH, the hard top has a removable roof panel and a window display for the engine (don't forget the light kit)!

...oh, you weren't asking me, were you?
Whoops! :oops:
Went with my Son to a Dealership last month they had one on the showroom floor. They had just sold it and where rolling it out the door to their service department. Seeing one up close was a treat for sure. One mean looking Machine for sure!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
K900 with VIP Package. It's more old school float vs the more European 'sport tuned' suspension.
I'm retiring at years end and the first thing I have to do is buy a vehicle. I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Kia Telluride, appears to be a lot of car for the $$ spent.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
That's a big difference. When I sold cars every once in a while there would be cars that were close enough in cost for say a 2 year old car that because of special financing you could get a new one for less money per month. So I always suggest looking at it.

My family is changing gears on car buying, we will probably buy used and and what we can afford to pay cash for from now on. Car payments suck.
Some dealers offer a lifetime warranty on certified used cars, so that's better than buying "as is". Also, there are a few warranty companies that will sell a policy when a vehicle has up to 150K miles and at this point, 150K isn't a lot. My last 5 cars had 150K (before it was stolen), 198K (before it drowned in the Great Flood of 1998), 196K, I'd guess over 350K on the '90 Silverado and my Astro cargo van has almost 225K without much trouble. The only major work (over $500) were a fuel pump in 2015 and the flex plate in January.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan

But OTOH, the hard top has a removable roof panel and a window display for the engine bay (don't forget the light kit)!
Love the new C8, with less than 3000 produced prior to the COVID19 shutdown it will be interesting to see if GM can resume '2020' production and if not will those who put their deposit $$ down be allocated 2021 ?

jinjuku

jinjuku

I'm retiring at years end and the first thing I have to do is buy a vehicle. I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Kia Telluride, appears to be a lot of the $$ spent.
I'm always willing to let someone else eat the depreciation so I buy used. Also I try not to buy the 1st model year.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis