I was burned (almost literally) by Elemental Designs. Can I trust other independent manufacturers?

K

kikojames

Audiophyte
It's been at *about* 6 years since I did my fair share of research on quality vs. price and performance of subwoofers and decided to go with Elemental Designs. I went with the biggest sub I could afford, a 15" down-firing, double-ported monster of a speaker. I was upgrading from an Energy 8" sub or something like that, that literally almost blew itself apart. The ED sub was very good for most of its life, even though I never felt it sounded "just right" - the output was either way too low or way too high and shut itself down. But I liked it. I liked it until it started popping loudly and smoke came pouring out the ports a few nights ago. I unplugged it immediately and stuck it on a hand-truck and threw it out onto my backyard. Nothing about how it was hooked up or plugged in has changed since the day it came into my home. I opened the electronic compartment and noticed a charred, black melting mess near a bunch of coiled copper. The charring spread around most of the electronic component area. Seemed like it was maybe about to start on fire?

I was away from home 2 weeks before this happened. If this "meltdown" happened when I wasn't home, how far would this malfunction have gone? If the sub had simply melted into an unusable pile on the floor, that would have been fine, I guess. But what if this "malfunction" happened while I was away and caused a fire that could have consumed my house? Worst-case-scenario, I know. But it was pretty scary.

After this overly-long intro, I just want to maybe be reassured by others who have purchased from other independent manufacturers like HSU, SVS, Rythmik and Outlaw have a better history of quality control and financial stability than ED did. If I have a problem, I'd like to know the comapny will be around for at least the life of the product, unlike ED. I like that SVS has an "audition" period and pays for return shipping. The other manufacturer's websites look like crap - and I know that has NOTHING to do with the quality of their product but, again, neither did ED's website vs what I actually ended up with. I'm leaning towards the Rythmik but am scared I'm walking into another ED illusion.

I really don't want to cave into fear and go into a Best Buy and buy an overpriced Klipsch, seriously. Any comfort for a scorned and scorched sub buyer?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
You are saying it shut itself down earlier, multiple times I believe? This is first thing that tells that there was something wrong with the unit. And while you are away from your home, I believe your sub is turned off? Or is it at idle? Even in idle mode there shouldn't be much power on it, but yes it is possible that it could of catched up even tho but I think driving it hard caused it to catch up with the fault. I myself always turn my sub off when I'm not using it and if I'm out for longer periods I even take it out of wall.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
First I've heard of a sub going up in smoke but it's not the first I've heard of ED problems. They got scratched off my list when a mod/member here at AH complained about delivery to the Philippines. The other manufacturers you listed are all on my "I Want" list ... except Klipsch.

K

kikojames

Audiophyte
I never really thought that I may have had a defective sub the whole time, maybe I did!

I wasn't clear about it shutting itself off, it was doing what it was supposed to (I think). If the sub volume was too high and it was being pushed too hard by a bass-heavy part of a film, it triggered the auto shut-off to protect the circuitry. But again, maybe this wasn't normal.

The sub was always plugged in and set to "auto" and only (seemed) to power on when it got a signal from my system. I never thought I needed to unplug a sub while away but will be sure to from now on, whichever one I end up with next. I kicked the burnt up ED sub to the curb, literally. Someone took it, maybe they'll be able to salvage parts from it.

Anyways, I know HSU and SVS have been around for a long while and that makes me more comfortable buying from them. (anybody know how long ED was around, off the top of your head?) I need to research Rythmik and Outlaw to check up on their histories, I guess. Just wanting to gauge the confidence-level some of you have with the last two I mentioned. Thanks again!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I own HSU, SVS, and Rythmik, I prefer HSU for ported subs, I prefer svs for budget sealed subs, unless I am going to buy the uls15 dual drive then I like them...

HSU, gets my vote, I love my vtf2's...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It's not the first I've heard of ED problems. They got scratched off my member when complained about delivery on my "I Want" list ...
Alex choose your words more carefully nexttime or someone just might misquote you...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have own two subs, a Rythmik going on 3 years old and a PSB going on 10 years old and both have been bullet proof. No overheating whatsoever.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Alex choose your words more carefully nexttime or someone just might misquote you...
You know, it just occured to me that if you hadn't requoted his words, I wouldn't have picked up on it but you just had to open Pandora's box unlike Alex who's busy scratching. Keep up the good work!! :p

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
fter this overly-long intro, I just want to maybe be reassured by others who have purchased from other independent manufacturers like HSU, SVS, Rythmik and Outlaw have a better history of quality control and financial stability than ED did. If I have a problem, I'd like to know the comapny will be around for at least the life of the product, unlike ED.
Everyone would like to know that about their purchases but the bottom line is no one can predict the future so it's a crapshoot really. How many times has Chrysler gone bankrupt now, three? Can happen to any size organization.

Companies like eD and Epik had red flags up for a while, so at a certain point in their respective history it was easy to see they were about to collapse, but that's not always the case. Most of the ID companies now - Rythmik, SVS, HSU - have been around for a while. Even those who haven't, like PSA, are being run by industry vets. Seaton Sound, JTR, those are all small companies but they're run by highly respected people who have been in the business in one manner or another for years.

Myself personally I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about buying something from any of the aforementioned companies, and indeed have from a few of them in the past year or two. What I'm comfortable with and what you are might differ though, so only you can decide if it's worth doing.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
NOT the first time I've heard of a sub going up in smoke. My friend's JBL did the same. My Epik's amp also was almost at the point of smoking but I caught it before it became an issue. They replaced the amp free of charge - then went out of business.

You can't judge all other ID companies based on the experience with one. ALL of my speakers are from ID companies and I have no problem buying from those sort of companies. Are some of them small and going to have issues, of course. Gotta take some risk to get the rewards such as better bang for your buck. In this case you happened to choose one that was already doomed and I wouldn't call them a good example.

J

jrd5853

Enthusiast
I own the SVS PB13 Ultra and have had it for many years, recently the Bash 750 amp went out and the replacement for this is a Sledge 1000 amp also sold at SVS. On 11/16 at 1800hrs I email customer support stating what other alternatives do I have because $599 for the new Sledge amp is out of my reach right now. On 11/17 at 0900hrs I get a response with suggestions and they would be willing to knock the price down for me on the Sledge. I have been and will be a fan and supporter of SV Sound....just sayin'.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If I were buying a commercial sub it would a SVS period. They've stood the test of time.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I own the SVS PB13 Ultra and have had it for many years, recently the Bash 750 amp went out and the replacement for this is a Sledge 1000 amp also sold at SVS. On 11/16 at 1800hrs I email customer support stating what other alternatives do I have because $599 for the new Sledge amp is out of my reach right now. On 11/17 at 0900hrs I get a response with suggestions and they would be willing to knock the price down for me on the Sledge. I have been and will be a fan and supporter of SV Sound....just sayin'.
Now, that is some customer service! Shows that they want a happy customer and a returning customer, and they value that over maximizing profits!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis