I want make a home theater in my garage, nothing fancy. Any tips?

C

CarloZ1208

Audiophyte
Okay so me let describe my situation.

We’re moving into a new home. Traditionally my parents have never been garage users and will remain so for this new house. And they were nice enough to offer me this garage room for my hobby room. They don’t mind since it won’t be used if I don’t.

Now, here’s what’s gonna happen. The garage door will remain, obviously close. But the rails on top removed. As well as the lyftmaster. But we will build a regular white painted wall in front of the garage door, on the inside. In between my dad said he’s going to add some insulation.

I did the measurements, and I will have 20 feet of width available on that wall, and 8-8.5 ft of height.

My plan was to get 150 inch fixed projector screen from silver ticket.

Thing is though the height of it is 6.5 ft. My question is, how much space should there be between the top of the screen and the ceiling, as well as bottom of screen and floor?

The floor will be dark brown tile. Wood like tile.

As far as the projector, I want to get a BenQ HT3550. More than likely refurbished since I’m on a budget.

What do you all think?

If it’s necessary, I’ll get a smaller screen if there’s needs to be a lot of space between screen/ceiling-floor. Guess the main question is if it’s doable with 150 or if I should aim for something smaller.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I imagined a single car garage, but a double? That will make a nice space. I take it that you don't get a lot of snow there? ;)

I'm no expert on projectors but there is a great article on Audioholics regarding screen installation:
https://www.audioholics.com/projector-screen-reviews/how-to-mount-projector-and-screen-in-home-theater
Give that a read and see if you have more questions. Make sure that the projector is bright enough (produces enough lumens) for the size of screen and distance planned.
  • Think about speaker placement for the fronts. Do you want the center below or behind the screen? If behind, you'll want a screen that is acoustically transparent. If below, with a large screen like that your center speaker could end up too close to the floor or you may need a stand that angles up to point to ear level.
  • Unless you are installing removable acoustical tile in the ceiling (and even if you are) try and prewire for any speakers you may add later. You may go 7.1 now and decide to go 9.2.4 later. Future proofing can save a lot of work later and good 14 gauge stranded copper wire is not that expensive (Monoprice is your friend). Using plastic pipe as a chase for cables can allow for adding wires in an enclosed wall later.
  • Tile flooring will create sound reflections. If that's your only option due to the concrete base, plan to add large area rugs to damped the reflections.
  • Plan your lighting as well. You can leave the florescents for task lighting but some dim-able wall sconces are nice for movie viewing. Replacing the florescents with dim-able pot lights will give more of that theatre look.
Have fun!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd think about sound insulation on the walls as well as the door perhaps, as most garages lack in that department. If noone nearby might be bothered by the audio, then less of a concern. Sounds like a nice space for the project, tho! Good luck!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Screen size is largely personal preference. Room treatment is a must for best experience, and things like tile may sound good, but there is a reason that theaters use dark carpet. It works best for both audio and video reflections.

But size is not only personal, it shouldn't be decided upon too far ahead of time if you can avoid it. Instead, buy the projector of choice, then try some different sizes out to see what you prefer.

I know I like about 10" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance. So, I sit about 16' away from a 161" diagonal screen. Some people really prefer closer to 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing. Some prefer more, some less. But, I think the golden rule if you must decide ahead of time, is to plan for about 10" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance. If using multiple rows, either compromise between rows, or pick a seat and design around that as a primary location.

Definitely consider wall color as well as ceiling color.

I did this writeup as well which you may find informative...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis