I think my pioneer vsx-819h receiver is dying

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
So I bought the receiver back in 2010. Up until this year it has been powering only a set of Paradigm Atoms v.6 bookshelves. About 3-4 months ago I added a Klipsch R-100SW sub. It’s been going great but then in the last week the receiver will just shut off during use. I checked the receiver but it is not hot at all when shutting off so not an over heat issue. And it will turn right back on and work immediately. I turned off the sub to test but it still happens. I have not yet disconnected the paradigms to check but I am expecting it will still happen. Since this receiver is 14 years old I suspect it is dying. In my subwoofer thread someone had expressed they were surprised this receiver was still working, so maybe they jinxed me. In any case, I could try to take it for repair but I’m guessing repair would cost as much as some new receivers.

with that said, I don’t need the best receiver in the world, just something that will drive these speakers well that maybe has a few bonus modern features would be great. I would love to spend under $200, maybe even $150. I don’t need to rattle the house. Just some good efficient power for my small setup.

Note: if there are cool modern features that you want to recommend or inform me about it would be appreciated because I really have no clue and have not had time to research anything yet.

Thanks!
DJ

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Have you checked the checked all the connections at the speaker terminals on the receiver and speakers? Does the AVR give you a code when it shuts down? 14 years for a unit is a pretty good life in terms of AVRs FWIW.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So I bought the receiver back in 2010. Up until this year it has been powering only a set of Paradigm Atoms v.6 bookshelves. About 3-4 months ago I added a Klipsch R-100SW sub. It’s been going great but then in the last week the receiver will just shut off during use. I checked the receiver but it is not hot at all when shutting off so not an over heat issue. And it will turn right back on and work immediately. I turned off the sub to test but it still happens. I have not yet disconnected the paradigms to check but I am expecting it will still happen. Since this receiver is 14 years old I suspect it is dying. In my subwoofer thread someone had expressed they were surprised this receiver was still working, so maybe they jinxed me. In any case, I could try to take it for repair but I’m guessing repair would cost as much as some new receivers.

with that said, I don’t need the best receiver in the world, just something that will drive these speakers well that maybe has a few bonus modern features would be great. I would love to spend under $200, maybe even $150. I don’t need to rattle the house. Just some good efficient power for my small setup.

Note: if there are cool modern features that you want to recommend or inform me about it would be appreciated because I really have no clue and have not had time to research anything yet.

Thanks!
DJ
As everettT mentioned. Check the speaker wiring.

I would do a test to see if it just shuts down with the speakers disconnected.

If it still shuts down, then the problem is most likely a faulty voltage regulator in the power supply. However getting it repaired even of the part is available is likely a loosing proposition.

If the receiver only shuts down with the speakers connected and your wiring is perfect, then the problem could be one of the speakers.

Speakers over driven can get heat damage to the voice coils that does not kill the speaker, but shorts some of the voice coil wire turns creating a low impedance and shutting down the receiver.

Good luck finding a receiver for $200.00 or less, those days are long gone.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic

Thanks!
DJ
Here you go, new 248. 5.2. For 100 more Sony 790.

Last edited:
D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
OK, I’ve been super busy, but I now have some updates for you guys on this situation. In someways it’s just not making a whole Lotta sense. So after I posted here, I went ahead and turned off the subwoofer. I didn’t unplug it from power or disconnect it from the receiver, but I turned it to the off position. If I remember correctly I did experience the receiver shutting itself off 1-2 more times over that next hour, but then did not occur again. I didn’t have time to do any testing really at that point so let’s say for maybe six days or seven days the shutdown never happened again (with sub still turned off). So last night I turned the sub back on and within 20-30 minutes it shut itself off again. Then I went ahead and checked the RCA cable connecting the sub to the receiver and it’s tightly connected on both ends. It’s not loose. As noted previously, the sub worked for 3 months in this same setup with zero issues. The sub is brand new and the rca cable is brand new. No one in my house messes with any of my stuff. The only settings that I changed were about 2 weeks before the shutdowns started I noticed some tv shows (like Friends which we watch a lot) has way too much bass, so I turned down the gain knob and the low pass knob. I doubt this could cause any issue but let me know if I’m wrong. Also I adjusted the receiver settings as to the frequency response that would be sent to the sub. I think I lowered this to 100hz.

To answer an earlier question, the receiver does not display any error message on the front. It just turns off as the someone has unplugged it.

Any thoughts?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

OK, I’ve been super busy, but I now have some updates for you guys on this situation. In someways it’s just not making a whole Lotta sense. So after I posted here, I went ahead and turned off the subwoofer. I didn’t unplug it from power or disconnect it from the receiver, but I turned it to the off position. If I remember correctly I did experience the receiver shutting itself off 1-2 more times over that next hour, but then did not occur again. I didn’t have time to do any testing really at that point so let’s say for maybe six days or seven days the shutdown never happened again (with sub still turned off). So last night I turned the sub back on and within 20-30 minutes it shut itself off again. Then I went ahead and checked the RCA cable connecting the sub to the receiver and it’s tightly connected on both ends. It’s not loose. As noted previously, the sub worked for 3 months in this same setup with zero issues. The sub is brand new and the rca cable is brand new. No one in my house messes with any of my stuff. The only settings that I changed were about 2 weeks before the shutdowns started I noticed some tv shows (like Friends which we watch a lot) has way too much bass, so I turned down the gain knob and the low pass knob. I doubt this could cause any issue but let me know if I’m wrong. Also I adjusted the receiver settings as to the frequency response that would be sent to the sub. I think I lowered this to 100hz.

To answer an earlier question, the receiver does not display any error message on the front. It just turns off as the someone has unplugged it.

Any thoughts?
From what you say, I suspect the problem is in the starting circuit which seems to be on the main board. I did find s service manual.

As is usual the on/off button is only a momentary switch. In this case it is what looks like a Darlington pair arrangement. This looks like a pretty simple flip flop arrangement with an addition. There appears to be a couple of ICs that detect overvoltage in parts of the unit, and if detecting over voltage over 5 volts shut the unit down.

Servicing this unit would be complex and not worth the cost, and that is assuming parts are available.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
so to sum it up… it’s likely the receiver, and possibly repairable but would cost as much or more than buying a new receiver, and parts to repair it may not even be available anymore. Is that right?

So is something like this just brought on by old age? And definitely sounds like the receiver is at fault and not a problem with my new sub?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

so to sum it up… it’s likely the receiver, and possibly repairable but would cost as much or more than buying a new receiver, and parts to repair it may not even be available anymore. Is that right?

So is something like this just brought on by old age? And definitely sounds like the receiver is at fault and not a problem with my new sub?
I can't conceive of a scenario where an active sub could shut a receiver down.

A sub is not a passive device and does not load the receiver in any way comparable to a passive speaker. A dead short in a sub or its connection would not shut a receiver down, you would just have no output from the sub.

Receivers are not usually particularly long lived, and yours is at the end of a typical receiver life cycle which is typically in the 10 to 14 year time frame. Some will last longer, but they are on "borrowed time" as they say.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Have you tried resetting the avr (factory/microprocessor)?
Worth a shot, but unlikely to work, as from the circuits I looked at this is very unlikely to be a problem with the processor. The fact there are no error codes strongly suggests that.

Low voltage monitoring on that unit is done by independent ICs that directly shut down the starting circuit, without involvement of the main processor.

If the fault is in the starting flip/flop circuit, which is very likely then resetting will not help.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
Hmm, well I guess R.I.P to my pioneer then, she served me well. I guess I’m going to have to spend some $$.

So with that in mind let me ask this… for my budget which definitely needs to be under say $350, does it really matter what I buy? This price range is going to dictate any receiver is entry level? So There won’t be some amazing equipment in that price range correct? And comparing similarly priced receivers from let’s say Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, and Denon… are they all pretty much on equal ground? I have only owned Sony and Pioneer and I honestly did not know of any discernible differences there.

Anything I should stay away from? Or likewise, anything I should gravitate toward?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hmm, well I guess R.I.P to my pioneer then, she served me well. I guess I’m going to have to spend some $$.

So with that in mind let me ask this… for my budget which definitely needs to be under say $350, does it really matter what I buy? This price range is going to dictate any receiver is entry level? So There won’t be some amazing equipment in that price range correct? And comparing similarly priced receivers from let’s say Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, and Denon… are they all pretty much on equal ground? I have only owned Sony and Pioneer and I honestly did not know of any discernible differences there.

Anything I should stay away from? Or likewise, anything I should gravitate toward?
This is difficult. AVRs tend to undergo rapid production cycle changes. The only way you really know if a unit is any good is over time.

Having said that there are some tips. I would personally stay clear of Pioneer Onkyo. They have undergone some serious ownership changes and reorganizations.

Sony may be a good bet, and seem good value. We don't have many members here that own Sony AVRs.

Yamaha seem to have a big quality chasm between their top end and low end. In your price range I would tend to avoid Yamaha.

I would tend to think that Denon is your safest bet, but I would not go to the bank with that recommendation.

AVRs are very complex devices, and complexity goes up by the year. They do tend to be the most problematic devices concerning failures and longevity.

One thing I should mention, is to be certain you are buying from an Authorized dealer. There is a lot of "grey market" junk out there and you can really get burned.

I would also tend to avoid refurbs, they can be problematic and they are somewhat of a roulette game.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

It's a minimal budget for a new avr. Try comparing models using this site zkelectronics.com

I'd consider any of those brands at that price point as mostly they'll be more similar than different. I'm not quite as leery of Onkyo/Pioneer as TLS but they have had some serious issues, altho so far it seems they're serious about continuing with the brands (Voxx owns them now). Then again Masimo, owners of Sound United (which includes Denon and Marantz) recently had some internal strife but seems to have come up with a solution https://www.massdevice.com/masimo-consumer-business-separation-sound-united/

ps fwiw my Pioneer 919 only lasted a bit beyond warranty before developing a variety of issues....

pps I'd still try a reset, can't hurt....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

At your budget you have very limited options. The cheapest Denon is above your budget.

At your budget I think this would be your best option.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So for this Sony 590, someone said earlier that upgrading to the 790 better because it has eArc instead of Arc, because Arc is not as reliable. I am unfamiliar with either feature. What does this mean and is it worth $100 (or more) extra?
Yes, it absolutely is worth $100.00 more. I was just trying to keep you in budget. eARC is a big upgrade.

Your budget is really highly marginal for a good receiver.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
So for this Sony 590, someone said earlier that upgrading to the 790 better because it has eArc instead of Arc, because Arc is not as reliable. I am unfamiliar with either feature. What does this mean and is it worth $100 (or more) extra?
You'll be getting more processing, DSP, Dolby Atoms etc.. plus two more channels with the 790.
Those were the two lowest in price "New" AVR I found at the time. You may be able to find some other Brands used for your budget. I'm not advocating for Sony its just the two lowest "new" price ones I found.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis