I Think My NAD Amp Remote Control Is Dying

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
remote control 1.jpg

Recently the SR-5 remote control that came with my C-372 integrated amp started playing up. The "Volume - Up" and "Preset - Down" buttons no longer work. I tried fresh batteries - no dice. Anyone know of a good and cheap universal remote that would make for a suitable replacement?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
View attachment 53903
Recently the SR-5 remote control that came with my C-372 integrated amp started playing up. The "Volume - Up" and "Preset - Down" buttons no longer work. I tried fresh batteries - no dice. Anyone know of a good and cheap universal remote that would make for a suitable replacement?
Maybe check Amazon's site, my Son picked up a Yamaha remote new for his A1050 paid like 37 bucks I think. May have a exact replacement for your Nad

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Have you tried opening it and looked to see if there are obvious contacts problems? Try clean the contacts after opening the remote.

As for new remote the are still Logitech universal remotes available.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Have you tried opening it and looked to see if there are obvious contacts problems? Try clean the contacts after opening the remote.

As for new remote the are still Logitech universal remotes available.
Never thought about dirty contacts. I'll see if I can open it without mangling it.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
View attachment 53903
I suggest you verify on eBay the following item, it's brand new: Item# 313751545532

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've used this stuff to refresh some Harmony universal remotes https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D8G8SY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but don't overapply ;). The Harmony remotes are out of production and even NOS is going for higher than list, but some 665s from BestBuy were available last I looked. Sofabaton has some reasonably priced remotes, altho take a bit more programming for macros than the Harmony. Might also look for Nad NOS? Contact Nad to see what they have?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I've used this stuff to refresh some Harmony universal remotes https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D8G8SY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but don't overapply ;). The Harmony remotes are out of production and even NOS is going for higher than list, but some 665s from BestBuy were available last I looked. Sofabaton has some reasonably priced remotes, altho take a bit more programming for macros than the Harmony. Might also look for Nad NOS? Contact Nad to see what they have?
I seem to have missed your reply. Sorry about that. I looked into the Sofabaton and the U1 might be the answer. For the past few months, I have been operating the C372 semi-old school. My Harmony 880, which I use for the HT, is getting pretty long in the tooth and the X1 might be the eventual replacement.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Never thought about dirty contacts. I'll see if I can open it without mangling it.
The main reasons I have seen specific buttons fail is due to moisture- not accusing, but it happens.

I wouldn't use anything strong as a cleaner- I usually start with a slightly damp paper towel, followed by Denatured alcohol since rubbing alcohol often contains mineral oil.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
The main reasons I have seen specific buttons fail is due to moisture- not accusing, but it happens.

I wouldn't use anything strong as a cleaner- I usually start with a slightly damp paper towel, followed by Denatured alcohol since rubbing alcohol often contains mineral oil.
Thanks for the info. I still haven't opened it up yet. :rolleyes:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Dunno why you would be adverse to using Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning electronics?

I've used IPA routinely and never had any problems related to that choice, even 70% has been fine. Denatured alcohol has additives to denature it, and those are more likely to leave a residue.

With that being said, Caig De-Oxit is an excellent product (contact cleaner) that I use for either critical applications or particularly dirty/corroded contacts. Caig has a range of products and these are most likely the best products for this type of application.

Edit-- I'm looking at the most common production methods for IPA, which is a hydration reaction, and there is no route for any significant mineral oil production in that reaction. After the reaction, the IPA is purified via distillation. Mineral oil contamination in IPA is simply not a concern. "Maybe" if you had "rubbing alcohol" with intentional additives, don't use that.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Dunno why you would be adverse to using Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning electronics?

I've used IPA routinely and never had any problems related to that choice, even 70% has been fine. Denatured alcohol has additives to denature it, and those are more likely to leave a residue.

With that being said, Caig De-Oxit is an excellent product (contact cleaner) that I use for either critical applications or particularly dirty/corroded contacts. Caig has a range of products and these are most likely the best products for this type of application.

Edit-- I'm looking at the most common production methods for IPA, which is a hydration reaction, and there is no route for any significant mineral oil production in that reaction. After the reaction, the IPA is purified via distillation. Mineral oil contamination in IPA is simply not a concern. "Maybe" if you had "rubbing alcohol" with intentional additives, don't use that.
I didn't say I'm opposed to Iso, I wrote that it can have oil in it, which needs to be avoided.

Denatured is only different in order to discourage people drinking it.

Rubbing alcohol is what I mentioned- it has oil because it reduces friction during a massage and I specifically wrote "since rubbing alcohol often contains mineral oil".

Caig is great, but I don't know that it should be used on the rubber mat for remote buttons because they have a semiconductive material on the backside. It might, but when these are assembled, they're clean.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis