I screwed up cutting holes for Atmos speakers. What do I do?

lancer360

lancer360

Junior Audioholic
I was laying out and cutting holes for my 4 Atmos in ceiling speakers yesterday. I laid out all four. When I got to the last one, I realized an A/C duct was in the way. I decided to move it to the left 10" and cut the hole. This affected the symmetry, so as I moved to each of the other holes, I moved them 10" as well, so everything stayed symmetrical around the center. This morning, I went to install the speakers, and as I was looking at the holes, one just didn't look right. Sure enough, I somehow screwed up and didn't move one of the holes 10". The ceiling is painted flat black, and speakers are painted flat black as well, so they are not really noticeable. I have already installed Dynamat boxes, which are glued to the sheet rock. So I have two options.

1. Leave it as is and compensate for it in the receiver setup.
2. Cut the box free from the sheetrock. Cut a new holes. Slide the box over and install it in the right position. Hire a contractor to come in, patch the hole, texture the area, and repaint the ceiling.

If I leave it, is one Atmos speaker being 10" closer going to be noticeable audibly? Option 2 is expensive and time-consuming, but I'm also worried is it going to just grind on me everything I look at it and realized my mistake.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Is it flexible duct? If so you should be able to move it.

lancer360

lancer360

Junior Audioholic
The left rear that was blocked by the duct is already moved. The left front Atmos speaker is the one that I forgot to move.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The left rear that was blocked by the duct is already moved. The left front Atmos speaker is the one that I forgot to move.

I really doubt 10" is going to matter.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Let's try option one first!

If you don't like it then option 2

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
I was laying out and cutting holes for my 4 Atmos in ceiling speakers yesterday. I laid out all four. When I got to the last one, I realized an A/C duct was in the way. I decided to move it to the left 10" and cut the hole. This affected the symmetry, so as I moved to each of the other holes, I moved them 10" as well, so everything stayed symmetrical around the center. This morning, I went to install the speakers, and as I was looking at the holes, one just didn't look right. Sure enough, I somehow screwed up and didn't move one of the holes 10". The ceiling is painted flat black, and speakers are painted flat black as well, so they are not really noticeable. I have already installed Dynamat boxes, which are glued to the sheet rock. So I have two options.

1. Leave it as is and compensate for it in the receiver setup.
2. Cut the box free from the sheetrock. Cut a new holes. Slide the box over and install it in the right position. Hire a contractor to come in, patch the hole, texture the area, and repaint the ceiling.

If I leave it, is one Atmos speaker being 10" closer going to be noticeable audibly? Option 2 is expensive and time-consuming, but I'm also worried is it going to just grind on me everything I look at it and realized my mistake.

You can use any extra holes for special effects pods.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Measure Thrice, Check Twice and Cut Once. Put a cool little led light in the wrong hole. I say Option 1

Audioholic
I'm afraid you're gonna' need an entirely new ceiling.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis