I ran 4 pro audio 18" subs infinite baffle style

T

tripwire

Audioholic Intern
Why is it so many people give the pro audio subs a hard time? I ran 4 rockville 18" subs in a infinate baffle wall configuration in my last home theater speaker set up and was blown away by the performance of it only using one crown cdi1000. No low end filter. Movies like master and commander, the tom cruise one called something like world at war? And u-571 all took my breath away.... and played below anything i could hear bass notes wise (cone movement, but no sound) using only 2 crown cdi1000 amps. I have 4 polk psw 505 subs that never came close in room, 2 svs pb2000 subs that were close... but lacked the chest punch and no viseral body tactile feedback.
Just to sum it up, (2) crowns@ pon shop prices @ $600 Canadian and (4) subs new @$400 all in, absolutely destroyed anything I've ever heard or felt. Going to build it again in the next build, along with outbound svs subs. Any thoughts?

T

tripwire

Audioholic Intern
Just to clarify, ran one crown cdi first, then bought a second, which didn't add too much.... but what the hell. After spending $1200+ again, just use it. Lol.

T

tripwire

Audioholic Intern
The additional new crown was to run near field alpine type R subs, a 15" and (2) 12" by the sofa's. Worth the extra $1200.

T

tripwire

Audioholic Intern
The 15" was built under the riser of the staggered seating, and the 12" was either side of the inbound seats (front row). Never added much, and was added much later on.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Got any measurements to share? We also have a separate diy subforum here...

T

tripwire

Audioholic Intern
Wierd... but ok. It's about 225mm x-max one way driver and about 1 7/8" at the high end and about 2 1/8" at the bass. :)

Last edited:
T

tripwire

Audioholic Intern
Some people get hung up on measurements, i say its all about driver performance and the sound it can produce when driven hard/ to full potentials and the sound it can induce. Lovin' the sounds etc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wierd... but ok. It's about 225mm x-max one way driver and about 1 7/8" at the high end and about 2 1/8" at the bass. :)
Frequency response measurements were more what I was asking for :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I assume you mean 22.5mm Xmax? Because 225mm of Xmax would really be something to see!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Why is it so many people give the pro audio subs a hard time? I ran 4 rockville 18" subs in a infinate baffle wall configuration in my last home theater speaker set up and was blown away by the performance of it only using one crown cdi1000. No low end filter. Movies like master and commander, the tom cruise one called something like world at war? And u-571 all took my breath away.... and played below anything i could hear bass notes wise (cone movement, but no sound) using only 2 crown cdi1000 amps. I have 4 polk psw 505 subs that never came close in room, 2 svs pb2000 subs that were close... but lacked the chest punch and no viseral body tactile feedback.
Just to sum it up, (2) crowns@ pon shop prices @ $600 Canadian and (4) subs new @$400 all in, absolutely destroyed anything I've ever heard or felt. Going to build it again in the next build, along with outbound svs subs. Any thoughts?
The problem with pro-audio drivers is that they are geared for loud mid-bass, so they tend to have a high resonant frequency and not be very adept at low bass. That can end up giving you more upper-bass than you will ever need but not enough deep bass for home theater. While there are some very interesting pro-audio drivers, they aren't generally ideal for home theater.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis