I need your advice ! Please help me !

P

promusic

Audiophyte
Hi guys !
I really need your help. I just bought a HD TV SONY 57" rear projection .
I want to set up a cool surround system. I don't like those "in a box " systems with those small satellite speakers.
I love electronics but I am NOT an expert in audio video.
That's why I need your help )
I know there are lot of professional devices out there ,but
I'm looking for something good but in my budget. So, I need something decent...but good
I did some research and I have 2 devices remaining. I don't know what to choose.
I have this :http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Receivers/HTR5860S.jsp
and this Pioneer : http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/pn...2723891,00.html
I tend to choose Pioneer because it has almost the same features and it costs less. In the same time, it is a good brand,too.
1 ) What would you chhose ??
2) Is it true that the most "quantity " of the sound goes to front speakers ( front speakers and center speaker ) ?
Because I 'm thinking ( acording with my budget) to buy
in the front : JBL http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodd...247&catid=20322
in the center :JBL http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodd...248&catid=20320
an in the back : JBL : http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodd...351&catid=20319
3) What do you think about this configuration ? Are the rear speakers too powerfull ?
Should I do some changes?
I really need your help because I'm going to buy them very soon.
Thank you very much in advance !
NOTE : I plan to watch movies and listen to a lot of video music: live concerts, video clips, etc

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
Most of your links are not working.
I like the Yamaha stuff a lot better than Pioneer. But you should also look at Denon.
As for the JBL's I was not able to use the link to see them but JBL is a pretty good speaker. Speakers are all over the place in price. If we knew your budget it would be easier to help.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
OK, so the only link that worked for me was the Yammy. Want to try again with the actual names of the products in question, this "budget" you allude to but don't specify, and the size of your room? This would give us more to work from.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Pricing won't mean all that much. Since you're in Canada, your prices are much higher than here in the states. Either receiver you listed will suffice. For a 5.1 system, go with 4 similar bookshelves and a center, or two towers, a center, and two rear bookshelf surrounds. For a 7.1 system, just get two extra rear bookshelves. If you plan on listening to surround music moreso than 2 channel music, you may prefer the sound of all bookshelves as opposed to the front towers. You really need a good subwoofer for a good HT system. Don't skimp on the sub. Personally, I think you can do better than JBL for speakers for the money. Keep an eye on the sales in your area. If Best Buy still carries Athena's Audition line, try to get those. They are much better than the JBL's.

P

promusic

Audiophyte
These are the devices

Because you told me guys that the links don't work , I 'll write the devices :
It is about Yamaha HTR5860S versus Pioneer VSX-815-K with MCACC
JBL speakers front : JBL E60 ( 2 X 175W)
JBL center speaker :JBL EC25 Dual 5 1/4' Centre Channel (150W )
JBL rear speakers :JBL E10BK ( 2 X200 W)
My budget is about 1.200 US $

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Do not buy those JBLs. They suck, end of story. All of the Northridge line by JBL is a disgrace and a rip off. Athenas represent your best choice at that budget. Best Buy in Canada doesn't carry the Athena line, but Futureshop does. Please go with those over the JBLs. Here is a 5.1 system on clearout. It doesn't have floorstanders but I gaurantee you that it will outperform the system you mentioned by JBL in every way possible and it comes with a sub. It usually retails for $1000 CDN but it is only $499 this week. Gotta love clearout sales Athena .5 system . Also what you should do is drive to all local futureshops and try to find some Athena Floorstanding speakers, they will slaughter those JBL 60's and they are on closeout like you wouldn't believe. What province are you in? If it's ontario then look at 2001 Audio Video, They are closing out alot of inventory and are selling receivers dirt cheap to make wat for new models. You can get a Marantz 7400 from them right now for I think $600cdn plus tax, and they also sell mission and psb speakers as well as Cerwin Vegas. If you do shop there never take their first offer, lowball them and they'll deal. Check out local audio dealers and see waht they can do for you. Just some more options.

sudyke

sudyke

Audioholic Intern
When I chose my Pio VSX-D814, one of my reasons was the MCACC. I am a newbie too, and it helps a lot when setting up a full system! Does that yammie have YPAO (MCACC copied from pio)? I just started a thread calles MCACC vs. YPAO, look into it sometimes. I don't think there are a lot of answers yet, but hope to get some good info!

P

promusic

Audiophyte
Thank you very much guys for your advices !
I didn't buy anything yet.
Yes, I live in Ontario
I'll shop around more including Future Shop and 2001 Audio Video

P

promusic

Audiophyte
Hi guys !
I wanted to ask you :
I'm not a Guru in audio-video ,but I always knew that JBL is a famous
brand for speakers. Now, a lot of people told me that they are not the best choice. There are some "recalls " ? Can I read somewhere, something regarding this issue ? I know, for example, when a car has a bad reputation, there are some serious issues , recalls, etc
How about JBL speakers ? Are they going down or what ?
Only that series "Northridge " has problems ?
How can you sense the difference between an Athena and JBL ?
Isn' t it only subjective ?
I'm just thinking...

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Speakers:
Please do yourself a favor and take a look at at the BIC line of speakers,
www.bicamerica.com You can find these on the net in a ton of places much cheaper than the msrp. and let me tell you, you will be quite happy with the performance.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Bic would be a good deal as well, the acoustech is a whole system including a 12" sub. You would have to caontact Bic America to find a Canadian distributor though.

You are right to state that taste in speakers and the sound they produce is subjective, but that doesn't mean that some speakers are sub par especially price wise. You don't always get what you pay for. The Entire Northridge line by JBL is substandard. SO are the Infinites sold by chain stores for that matter. They cut too many corners and yet thy kept the price high. Why would they do that? Because they can and it keeps the build price low and profits high. JBL has a name that almost everyone regards as high end, and they still make some of the best speakers in the world. They do not however sell them at Futureshop or Bestbuy. Why the change in quality? Because people will pay for the name, I know I did (shhh don't tell anyone). JBL is living off past glory IMO. You can plug in a pair of cheap 1990 JBL bookshelfs and go wow, I got more than I paid for. If you plug in your current JBL bookshelfs right now, like the E30 or whatever you will find yourself saying wow, I paid for more than I got.

Athena is made by a Canadian Speaker manufacturer that also produces Energy and Mirage speakers. Those are two well respected high quality to price ratio speakers. Athena is getting rave reviews and seems like the category killer pricewise in Canada. JBL and Infinity don't sell speakers at Futureshop or BB that can compete with an AS-F2 tower by Athena. Futureshop has some tricks up their sleeves to sell the JBLs Polks, and Infinities they have over these athenas. For example they will place the JBLs and others further apart and the Athenas close together. The further apart floorstanders will sound better because the have the advantage of better placement (placement is very important). Another thing to watch out for is the salespeople. Remember they are commisioned at futureshop. The odds are the only thing about speakers the salesman telling you JBL is better than Athena knows is that the commision on an $800 pair of speakers is higher than on a $500 pair. I don't know where in Ontario you live, but I was at the Whitby Futureshop yesterday, and they were closing out AS-F2's for $450 a pair. Also don't buy the extended warrany from FS, these speakers have a 5 yr. warranty. Make the salespeple give you a fair audition. Listen to the speakers the same distance apart, and with the same receivers, subs, etc.

I'm not telling you what to buy, only asking you not to waste your money on those JBL speakers, you can do much better for the price. If you can find a BIC retailer close to you then they are really worth a listen, supposed to be a fantastic deal for the dough.

Good luck.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Definetly agree with takeereasy about the athenas. I have all athena surrounds. The as-f2's sound better than any speaker I have heard in the sub $1500 range. I'll try and post some pics to give you an idea of what the athena setup would look like in a real world environment.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Takeereasy said:
I wish that was my real world environment.
Yea It sounds pretty good, but I am yearning for an svs pb12 plus. My klipsch sounds pretty good but that sub would be the cherry on top!

P

promusic

Audiophyte
Hey guys!
Thank you very, very much for your assistance , especially you "Audio Alchemist " :(( !
I'll go tonight to Future Shop
What exactly do I have to ask for ?
Athena Energy ? Do they have them ?

K

kiran_sham

Junior Audioholic
Hey...

If the question is very generic, the thread usually runs very long. The longer the thread runs, more does it confuse you! :)

Go for a good brand that is in your budget and above all, which sounds good to your ears. Just FYI, my budget was exactly same as yours and I got a Yamaha RX-V1500 receiver, Klipsch center, left and right speakers and Polk rear and sub. I am extremely happy with the performance! I always prefer to shop online because it almost saved me about $400. So I got a $1500 worth system for about $1100.

P

promusic

Audiophyte
To all of you guys hwo helped me with advices :
I went to 2001audiovideo and they showed me some speakers "References".
Indeed, I listened to them and I liked them and I could save some money.
Are they good ? (They didn't have Athena there.)
What do you know about "References "?
They said they are made in Canada, veru good quality
Special thanks for Audio Alchemist . Thank you for taking the time to write me all those usefull info.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I've heard those Reference speakers as well, I have to admit they sounded good and the price was very low. I can't say anything else either negative or positive about them, but I couldn't find any reviews online for them, or any info on the manufacturer. To me that's a warning sign but it might not mean anything at all. If you like the speakers and the price and warranty are right then let us know how they sound in a week when you bring them home and dial them in

Also don't let the title "audio alchemist" fool you. It is in relation to my number of posts, not my expertise. Look for the title "moderator" or above before you take anyone's word for something but your own.

2001 has higher end gear than FS or BB, but I find the staff pretty pushy. I'm glad if I was any help, and I hope this turns out to be a great experience fr you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis