I need some subwoofer help

F

f'n wasted

Audiophyte
Hey, my dad just bought a surround system and we are only getting a very very quiet hum through the subwoofer, and all the other speakers seem to work fine. The system is an RCA RT2380BK if that helps anyone. I already tried the stuff the instruction book says and nothing helped. On some dvd we have it hade a THX sound tester thing and i wen through that and found out that all of the speakers produce noise, but when the subwofer shoud have noise, it doesnt. Thanks for the help

T

Tom Vodhanel

Manufacturer
Be sure all speakers are set to SMALL in the speaker setup menu. Also, be sure the subwoofer is set to ON/YES in the same menu. Double check to be sure you have the subwoofer cable connected to the proper outputs on the receiver and the inputs on the subwoofer. If that doesn't help, try a new subwoofer cable.

Tom V.
SVS

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Tom Vodhanel said:
If that doesn't help, try a new subwoofer cable.

Tom V.
SVS
A really well-shielded cable for the sub will probably get rid of that hum (it did for me), or you might have a ground loop due to your cable TV connection. You don't have to spend a ton to get a decent cable, as you can get a really nice Phillips cable at Walmart for about $ 12 for a six-footer or $ 15 at Radio Shack for a twelve footer.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Unhook the cable TV and see if the hum goes away. If so, then it's a ground loop and is easily solvable with a $15 humbuster. You can get a ground loop from other components, but the cable TV line is the worst offender.

T

Tom Vodhanel

Manufacturer
Hi guys,

I don't think it is a ground loop/shielding issue...I am reading his problem as he isn't getting *any* bass from the subwoofer at all. I might be wrong of course..:)

Tom V.
SVS

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis