I need some advice on system please!

D

ddd2224u

Audiophyte
Hey everybody,

I've always been into electronics and I know a lot about computers. However, when it comes to home theater systems, I don't have a clue!

I'm hoping someone could help me as I am planning to buy a system very soon. This Sony 7.2 system is really getting my attention and I'd like to know more about it. Link: htt p://ww w.cnet.com.au/sony-muteki-htddw7500-339297864.htm <-- (sorry I had to add spaces because I couldn't post links!!)

The system looks great (i think??) but there was one part that says :

This component also handles the audio and video processing, although it's a bit short in this regard without any on-board DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby Digital True HD decoding. There are three HDMI inputs and one out — this is pass-through only and there's no HDMI 1.3 support, so bear this in mind when hooking up ancillary HDMI source equipment. If you choose to let a player such as the PS3 to do the encoding instead, it will handle Linear PCM audio via HDMI.

What does this even mean? Linear PCM via HDMI?? and what's so good about HDMI 1.3? What happens if I connect a PS3?

It would be really great if someone can help me answer these questions. I hope to learn more about electronics so I can help in more than just computers!

Thanks everyone!!

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
What's your budget, I'm sure that we can come up with a system that will kill the one your looking at. Would you really need all seven speakers or will five do to start out with? What's the room size?

D

ddd2224u

Audiophyte
What's your budget, I'm sure that we can come up with a system that will kill the one your looking at. Would you really need all seven speakers or will five do to start out with? What's the room size?
Hi dapack,

My budget is $1000. The room size is about 500 sq ft. This system is being sold at my local retail store for only $600 (it's on sale). I've been told that it is a great deal for a 1700 RMS Watt system so I got a bit interested. I know this is a bit too powerful for the room size, but I do plan on moving to another bigger house. Do you know what they meant by Linear PCM and no HDMI 1.3?

Also, I'm always open to suggestions of other speaker systems!

Thanks.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
+1 want dapack69 had to say. The hard part will be squeezing in a sub that does that size room justice. But I think you'll be better off putting something together than buying a HTIB, especially if you do it a few pieces at a time. Say a 2.1 or 3.1 system to start with and then adding surrounds as money allows.

D

ddd2224u

Audiophyte
+1 want dapack69 had to say. The hard part will be squeezing in a sub that does that size room justice. But I think you'll be better off putting something together than buying a HTIB, especially if you do it a few pieces at a time. Say a 2.1 or 3.1 system to start with and then adding surrounds as money allows.
I understand that the room's too small for the speakers, but I do plan on moving very soon. Is $1000 budget generally a low budget? Starting with a 2.1 or 3.1 system sounds good, but the receiver would cost $500+ on its own. The sony system i posted above includes an amplifier and is only $600. I've seen pretty good "expert reviews", but I'm sure you guys know better :p. What do you guys think? Should i just splurge on the sony or get the 2.1?

Here's specs sheet for sony:
ht tp://w ww.sony.com.au/product/ht-ddw7500

Last edited:
dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
I see that you live in AU, that means price for some items are higher than in the states.

I just looked at the system your looking at and am impressed myself with it. The decoding might be a hold up, but most BD players have decoding on board them already. That most of them are on the cheap side and the player is also as pass through, which means it does not do any of its own processing for sound at all.

Thats one advantage of having a seperate system, the DACs they offer will do a lot for sound.

What kind of brands could you get for an A/V around $500, is reman a possibility? Killer deals can be found that way plus still have the warrenty.

D

ddd2224u

Audiophyte
I see that you live in AU, that means price for some items are higher than in the states.

I just looked at the system your looking at and am impressed myself with it. The decoding might be a hold up, but most BD players have decoding on board them already. That most of them are on the cheap side and the player is also as pass through, which means it does not do any of its own processing for sound at all.

Thats one advantage of having a seperate system, the DACs they offer will do a lot for sound.

What kind of brands could you get for an A/V around $500, is reman a possibility? Killer deals can be found that way plus still have the warrenty.
I remember seeing some Denon or Onkyo receivers for $500 when on sale.

Dapack, do you know what it means when cnet says it does Linear PCM?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
... do you know what it means when cnet says it does Linear PCM?
Linear PCM is a method for digitally encoding audio. It is the standard used in almost all audio CDs since 1982. Read this link.

If a receiver does linear PCM, it means that the chip on the receiver can take digital audio signals direct from a CD and decode them.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I understand that the room's too small for the speakers, but I do plan on moving very soon.
Do you realize how big 500sqft is? That's roughly a 22'x23' room. Assuming a 9' ceiling that's 4500cuft. That's a lot for a budget subwoofer to fill. That's why I thought the budget might be a challenge. Good luck.

D

ddd2224u

Audiophyte
Do you realize how big 500sqft is? That's roughly a 22'x23' room. Assuming a 9' ceiling that's 4500cuft. That's a lot for a budget subwoofer to fill. That's why I thought the budget might be a challenge. Good luck.
Oh.. Hmm would you recommend a budget for 500 sq ft?

A

Affejunge

Audioholic
Well, this is a tough call. I assume you already have your video display and source? (TV and bluray/cable/sat)
I do not know the AUS market. Do you have $1000 US or AUS?

If you are just stuck on the audio end, I would definitely go with what people are saying here. Start with a 2.1 or 3.1 system. When I started with this hobby about 12 years ago, there was no audioholics and I made many mistakes and wasted money by not doing my research, shopping at big box stores, and wanting my system NOW. Don't get me wrong, I still have to fight this urge!

Build your system slowly. In my youth, I did not realize that is part of the joy of this hobby.
  1. Get something small, but best quality you can afford, with which to start
  2. Listen for awhile
  3. Make a list of what you don't like or wish was better
  4. Ask for advice on a forum like this
  5. Upgrade what you can afford to upgrade
  6. Go to step 2

Following this will allow you to enjoy your hobby over years. You will continue to enjoy it as you will always be able to make updates to improve the things you don't like. This hobby you have started, which, trust me, once you get the bite, will be life-long, is a very long marathon; it is not a sprint. Pace yourself and enjoy the view.

D

ddd2224u

Audiophyte
Well, this is a tough call. I assume you already have your video display and source? (TV and bluray/cable/sat)
I do not know the AUS market. Do you have $1000 US or AUS?

If you are just stuck on the audio end, I would definitely go with what people are saying here. Start with a 2.1 or 3.1 system. When I started with this hobby about 12 years ago, there was no audioholics and I made many mistakes and wasted money by not doing my research, shopping at big box stores, and wanting my system NOW. Don't get me wrong, I still have to fight this urge!

Build your system slowly. In my youth, I did not realize that is part of the joy of this hobby.
  2. Listen for awhile
  6. Go to step 2

Following this will allow you to enjoy your hobby over years. You will continue to enjoy it as you will always be able to make updates to improve the things you don't like. This hobby you have started, which, trust me, once you get the bite, will be life-long, is a very long marathon; it is not a sprint. Pace yourself and enjoy the view.
That sounds like fun and an amazing learning experience. I am willing to spend $1000 on just the sound system for now, so the receiver, subs, and speakers.

You recommend starting with 2.1 or 3.1, so start out buying a receiver + sub + 2 bookshelf speakers?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I can't give you a budget because I have no idea what's available there or how much stuff costs. What I would do is email SVSounds, Hsu Research, and Elemental Designs with a drawing and dimensions and what you listen to and how loud. They need to know how loud because some assume and size for lower volume levels than others. They'll size a sub to your room and listening habits and you can then compare specs on their recommendations with what's available locally.

You recommend starting with 2.1 or 3.1, so start out buying a receiver + sub + 2 bookshelf speakers?
This is how I like to do things. I consider the front 3 speakers a 5-20 year investment. I want those to be the best I can possibly afford so that I'm not replacing them every year. You can always add the timbre matched center or let your wife/girl friend get it for you for your birthday. Even the subwoofer can be purchased as one big fully satisfying sub up front or plan on two smaller subs and make do with one for now and put the second on your holiday gift list. Surrounds can come still later. What I don't want to be doing is constantly buying/selling/replacing speakers - been there and done that.

Of course the nice thing about using good bookshelf speakers is you have an upgrade path. They can start out as the L&R fronts and then move to the rear if/when you outgrow them. Or move into the bedroom. Nothing goes to waste and you don't take a bath selling stuff for 1/3 what you paid for it.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Steve

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
  2. Listen for awhile
  6. Go to step 2

Outstanding advice! And it dovetailes very well into the point I was trying to make.

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
You've been given great advice so far. I'd warn you that from what I understand, Sony doesn't exactly have a great reputation for making speakers, and the folks at cnet aren't exactly what I'd call discerning audiophiles. They're more into reviewing mainstream consumer products in my experience, and in my experience, those kinds of products are usually for suckers when it comes to audio.

I'd consider the above advice to start with a 2.1 or 3.1 system and upgrade from there. If you can, used doesn't hurt if you can find stuff in good shape. After all, if you can get stuff with 70% of its life left for 50% of the cost (or less) why not? Patience is key here. I bought my receiver for $30 US on ebay... I just had to lose 3 or 4 auctions first.

Oh and by the way, watts are an extremely poor way to talk about a system's loudness or ability to fill a room. Thats advertising gimmick...

A

Affejunge

Audioholic
I'd consider the above advice to start with a 2.1 or 3.1 system and upgrade from there. If you can, used doesn't hurt if you can find stuff in good shape. After all, if you can get stuff with 70% of its life left for 50% of the cost (or less) why not? Patience is key here. I bought my receiver for $30 US on ebay... I just had to lose 3 or 4 auctions first.
Very good point I meant to make. If you look at my system below, my pre/pro and amp were bought refurb. I had originally bought an HDMI capable receiver, but was REALLY unhappy with it. Just because gear is "old" does not mean it is bad. The top of the line pre/pro from 5 years ago probably sells at 15-20% of its original price and would still smoke anything a big-box store sells.

Also, huge plus on the advice about buying bookshelves now, then moving them to rears later. I don't know if you can get them in AUS, but HSU has some nice bookshelf speakers that are a total steal. If you are not murdered on shipping, I would seriously consider them.

Does anyone know if there is an AUS equivalent to audiogon? That would be a great place to look for used gear.

Oh and by the way, watts are an extremely poor way to talk about a system's loudness or ability to fill a room. Thats advertising gimmick...
++++ very very true.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis