I need some advice, l/r speakers and tv are almost touching.

Alfred Prill

Alfred Prill

Enthusiast
I am finishing up a big remodel project. I have a 65 inch tv mounted on an articulating arm; my l/r Definitive Technology D11s are almost touching the sides of the TV. Is this a significant issue that I need to address? (I don't want to buy smaller speakers). The DTs have a passive radiator on the top of the box; will the TV interfere or vibrate.

I don't think moving them to the other bookshelf will work; the side cabinets are only 11 inches deep and the D11s are 12.5 inches deep. All of the cabinets have been reinforced with MDF and there is acoustic mineral wool insulation in between each layer of cabinet from the ground up to the top. The open cabinets are very solid and do not reverberate. Advice will be much appreciated. I will post a picture when I get home from work. Fred.
IMG_20201123_170523.jpg

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Confused.
Do you have speakers in cubbies?
Photos are always helpful.

in general, for good imaging you do want more space between speakers than 4 or 5 feet. 6’ is really a bare minimum for imaging IMO, and I caught flak for that in my set up. ;)

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
While it should not have mechanical issues (magnetic, ect..), my speakers sound better with an equal-lateral triangle configuration with the prime seating position AND moved out from the wall a few feet. In the image below. a = the distance between the left and right front speakers.

111.png

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Agree about the spacing of the speakers, especially if the articulating arm puts the tv in front of the speakers...

Otherwise I wouldn't worry unless you hear some sort of audible issue in use.

Alfred Prill

Alfred Prill

Enthusiast
Confused.
Do you have speakers in cubbies?
Photos are always helpful.

in general, for good imaging you do want more space between speakers than 4 or 5 feet. 6’ is really a bare minimum for imaging IMO, and I caught flak for that in my set up. ;)
Thanks, the counter is six feet so about five between the speakers. I am trying to figure out if the tv touching the speakers is going to be a problem

Alfred Prill

Alfred Prill

Enthusiast
While it should not have mechanical issues (magnetic, ect..), my speakers sound better with an equal-lateral triangle configuration with the prime seating position AND moved out from the wall a few feet. In the image below. a = the distance between the left and right front speakers.

View attachment 41943
Yes that makes sense, more concerned with the vibration of the tv due to speaker contact

Alfred Prill

Alfred Prill

Enthusiast
Agree about the spacing of the speakers, especially if the articulating arm puts the tv in front of the speakers...

Otherwise I wouldn't worry unless you hear some sort of audible issue in use.
Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are the speakers in contact or just very close?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When I first viewed the thread I guess the pic didn't load timely, didn't think there was one until I just posted (and deleted) asking for a pic :)

Now that I see it....can you move speakers inside the cabinet using a mount like this ? Get a little better separation that way. If it must touch maybe the cabinet and use something like a piece of weatherstripping at the contact point? I wouldn't particularly be concerned with them in contact, tho, but would prefer better placement overall for the speakers outside the constraints of a cabinet like that.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Image tagged in mr horse - Imgflip

To be fair, I am not a fan of built-ins, cubbies... none of it.

I would get stands and put them about 18" out further to each side and in front of the side cupboards. It will give you better sound quality, minimized diffraction (assuming it's audible), and a fighting chance at a stereo soundstage. Moreover, it will give you room to grow beyond those little speakers.

As always, it is your system. Most importantly... enjoy it. You did ask however. ;)

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
At minimum, I would move the speakers into the side cabinets. If that's a non-starter I would use a SoundBar instead.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The speakers should be at least 8' apart. One of the biggest mistakes is speakers too close. Siegfried Linkwitz was correct. Speakers too close is a bad thing and ruins imaging and especially depth of field. I think a 12 to 14 feet separating the mains is optimal, especially given that we now so often have a center speaker. You need the mains at least 12 feet apart to get the center 6' away from the mains. Properly spacing speakers is one of the biggest improvements you can make to a system.

Alfred Prill

Alfred Prill

Enthusiast
When I first viewed the thread I guess the pic didn't load timely, didn't think there was one until I just posted (and deleted) asking for a pic :)

Now that I see it....can you move speakers inside the cabinet using a mount like this ? Get a little better separation that way. If it must touch maybe the cabinet and use something like a piece of weatherstripping at the contact point? I wouldn't particularly be concerned with them in contact, tho, but would prefer better placement overall for the speakers outside the constraints of a cabinet like that.
I will run with this idea, I can route the wire discretely and set them on the brackets..

Alfred Prill

Alfred Prill

Enthusiast
At minimum, I would move the speakers into the side cabinets. If that's a non-starter I would use a SoundBar instead.
Thanks trying to avoid a sound bar, I have 2k in the L / R and center. I will move them

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Incorporating something like this into the cabinet where the speakers could sit on top and be slid out when in use and slid back in while not in use installed toward the very ends of the unit

Alfred Prill

Alfred Prill

Enthusiast
Incorporating something like this into the cabinet where the speakers could sit on top and be slid out when in use and slid back in while not in use installed toward the very ends of the unit

This is a great idea, I can fabricate this using soft close drawer pulls and a couple of the extra shelves that can with the cabinets. Thanks

K

kini

Full Audioholic
The speakers should be at least 8' apart. One of the biggest mistakes is speakers too close. Siegfried Linkwitz was correct. Speakers too close is a bad thing and ruins imaging and especially depth of field. I think a 12 to 14 feet separating the mains is optimal, especially given that we now so often have a center speaker. You need the mains at least 12 feet apart to get the center 6' away from the mains. Properly spacing speakers is one of the biggest improvements you can make to a system.
What if you only sit about 8-9' from them? Would the equilateral triangle setup still be the best setup? I use my system for HT and 2 channel music.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis