I need some advice for my new turntable.

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
I bought a secondhand technics SL1200M3D but its in rough condition and I need all parts listed or good alternatives. :)
So far it needs the following;

A replacement headshell and weight with the ability to mount aux weights to it (original headshell was model number SFPCC31005K with an included SFPZB3501 weight and a SFPWG17202 Aux weight (cant find anywhere so far))

A replacement overhang gauge (original model SFK0135-01)

A replacement EP record adapter (original model SFWE010)

A replacement dust cover (original model SFAD122-01A)

A good cartridge recommendation that works well with this turntable (am planning on an ortofon 2m blue)

A new RCA with separate Grounding cable

Some basic calibration tool suggestions (anti skate, tracking force and angle calibration equipment)

And lastly a nice anti slip mat (original mat came badly damaged, model RGS0005Z)

Anything listed above for models is for reference to compare to other brand's gear

If you can find me oem parts or anything that will be comparable/better, I'm open to suggestions.
:cool:

It just came with the turntable platter and mat with a carry case, so any suggestions for things I'm missing will be appreciated. ;)

I have a record weight and basic cleaning gear (stylus brush, record cleaner kit, and record brush)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I'd check eBay or Craigslist. Also don't forget to look at some local Thrift stores in your area.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
  • You should not have to get an exact replacement headshell. If it is a standard H4 bayonet mount headshell, a universal headshell from Parts-Express should work. What ever difference in weight there may be can be adjusted for with the counter weight. We're talking under $10 here so not a big investment. Some of the Audio-Technica headshells should fit as well. Look on-line for photos of that turntable and you will see several different headshells in use.
  • I would not worry about the extra counterweight for now. The Ortofon Blue you mentioned is a very nice cartridge to start with and not heavy so the standard counterweight should work. The extra counterweight is for trying different older cartridges, like if you plan to play 78s as well. The Ortofon will be fine for 45s, 33s and EPs. (I'm using the Ortofon Red which is the same base cartridge but slightly cheaper stylus.)
  • Maybe search on-line for a do-it-yourself overhang gauge. Some research should get you close. If you're off by a couple of millimeters you're not going to hear the difference. Just get the cartridge as square as possible to the record groves. There are probably You-Tube videos on cartridge installation. You can find turntable protractors on Amazon but the overhang gauge might be trickier.
  • Do not bother with a turntable scale unless you can't find the correct counterweight. Counterweights are calibrated and slide on a spiral grove to set the weight. Once the cartridge is balanced to 0 you just set the weight to the manufacturer recommended tracking force (typically around 1.8 grams to 2 grams but go by the cartridge manual). If you find a weight that fits the same diameter tone arm but from a different company or model, then the spiral grove might not be calibrated to match, in which case you'll need a digital scale to set the weight properly.
  • Anti-skating is set to the same number as your weight. If weight is set at 2 grams, set the anti-skating to 2. That is the small black dial located to the right of the gimbal.
  • Any good quality RCA cable will do, but keep the length short. Cartridges produce a very small signal and long cables can have an effect. No more than 3 feet preferred, 2 feet even better. Blue Jean Cables make their own cables in the U.S. and can make the ground cable as well. Monoprice also has good cable too for low cost. Their premium 1.5 foot cable is only $4 (same cable $12 at Walmart :D ). If you want something that also looks really nice, search for the Monoprice Onix cable. The ground cable does not have to be anything fancy. Any 16 gauge stranded wire will do. Spade ends will make it easier to connect.
  • As mentioned above, used market on-line for the adapter and dust cover. In a pinch you can buy plexiglass and make your own but it won't be hinged.
  • For the turntable mat, I do not see any special cut outs in the mat for the SL1200, so any mat will work. Shop on-line and find a mat that looks nice. Some places sell felt mats but I find that they can produce static. A record brush made from carbon fibre is nice because it will draw off static electricity as well. Older style brushes can produce static.
  • Lastly, I am not a big fan of platter weights. The record is already on a heavy platter and resting on a high quality bearing. What could make the record move? In my view, those heavy platter weights will place extra wear and tear on the main bearing that the platter sits on. That could potentially create *more* noise, not less. If you insist on keeping the record locked down, use a record clamp, not a weight. The clamp will cost more but not wear the bearing as much.

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
I've done some shopping around and found some of this stuff (overhang gauge, record clamp and the original headshell with weight's) but the prices are sometimes as much as I payed for the whole turntable for some of it. :cool:

Is there a preference when it come to headshells for anyone? (I was considering a ortofon headshell to go with the cartridge but I'm not sure that the headshell has a slot for weights for fine tuning)

The reason I asked for RCA's the turntable came with monster cables for the RCA and ground and I HATE monster cables (took one apart and found the wire was very tiny and most of the cable was jacket) but it goes inside the turntable and I'm not sure if I need certain connectors to hook up new RCA's

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I've done some shopping around and found some of this stuff (overhang gauge, record clamp and the original headshell with weight's) but the prices are sometimes as much as I payed for the whole turntable for some of it. :cool:

Is there a preference when it come to headshells for anyone? (I was considering a ortofon headshell to go with the cartridge but I'm not sure that the headshell has a slot for weights for fine tuning)

The reason I asked for RCA's the turntable came with monster cables for the RCA and ground and I HATE monster cables (took one apart and found the wire was very tiny and most of the cable was jacket) but it goes inside the turntable and I'm not sure if I need certain connectors to hook up new RCA's
That is a popular turntable right now so they can command higher prices than others if you want to use stock parts. Not much else you can do except be patient or look for replacement parts.

A metal headshell will look a little more professional. The Ortofon headshells looks nice and the colour selection allows you to tailor to your tastes, so a good choice if you don't mind spending more to dress it up. In my 40 years of playing vinyl, I have never used headshell weights. The counterweight sets the balance and that's all you need. You would have to have a super light weight cartridge to require extra weight. If you think that you'll upgrade from the Ortofon blue later, you can get the bronze or black and they won't require weights.

For a turntable do not be concerned with wire diameter. It is a very low level signal so the primary concern is that the cable has low capacitance (hence the shorter cable). That Monster cable is likely fine for the application. You can't judge just by looking at it. The wires that connect the cartridge and run through the tone arm are just as tiny.

If the cable goes inside the turntable then it is soldered to a connection point internally. Replacing the cable would mean unsoldering the old cable and soldering on a new one. That may be more than you bargained for but depends on your level of experience. Monster cable may be overpriced, but the quality is good enough.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I bought a second Technics headshell a few years back on Amazon for not much, but then a Shure M97xE was only $70 then, too :) I kept all my SL1200 (mk2) parts since the day I bought it so no need for anything else but can imagine the parts are spendy. That's part of the magic of vinyl
vinyl expense inconvenience.jpg

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Can you post some pics of your technics turntable? Just to see it. Curious. I had a bootleg version of that table by a no name. Are you in the US? My Headshell was like the original though. Well what do you know here it is on ebay:
_20210517_192155.JPG

Link if interested:

Last edited:
sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
Can you post some pics of your technics turntable? Just to see it. Curious. I had a bootleg version of that table by a no name. Are you in the US? My Headshell was like the original though. Well what do you know here it is on ebay:
View attachment 47732
Link if interested:
yea ill include a few pics here:

I have my AT mat on as the original mat is in rough shape

the platter is only removable with screws and is solid metal with 2 circle cutouts near the outside of the platter completely opposite.

I live in Minnesota but if you have the headshell and are willing to sell it lemme know :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
yea ill include a few pics here:

I have my AT mat on as the original mat is in rough shape

the platter is only removable with screws and is solid metal with 2 circle cutouts near the outside of the platter completely opposite.

I live in Minnesota but if you have the headshell and are willing to sell it lemme know :)
Table looks great. Just use a pillow case as a cover, so no extra dust gets in. till you find a cover for it.
I don't have that TT anymore it drowned in the sandy storm in 2012. It was a decent table too. Looks like you only need the Mat and Headshell.
These should work:

45 adapter

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't need that spare headshell any more....at the time I was thinking of setting up two different cartridges but I broke it and then lost interest....pm me if interested.

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
I don't need that spare headshell any more....at the time I was thinking of setting up two different cartridges but I broke it and then lost interest....pm me if interested.
I just bought a headshell from ebay so if I have issues with that ill let you know ;)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I just bought a headshell from ebay so if I have issues with that ill let you know ;)
Nice that you found the counterweight. Pretty much any bayonet mount headshell should work as it's an industry standard. To mount the cartridge, leave the protective stylus cover on, connect the leads first and then attach to the headshell with the bolts and nuts. I think the Ortofon does not require nuts, you just tap the screw in from above. Just snug, do not yet tighten. Then fix to the tone arm and set the overhang and angle with the gauge(s) and tighten the screws a little.

If you have other tables then you probably know how to set the counterweight. Set an LP on the mat, remove the stylus cover and balance the stylus outside of the LP (not on it) so that it floats at the same height as the top surface of the LP. Set the dial on the counterweight to zero (it spins independent of the weight) and recheck the balance. Then turn the the counterweight to the recommended tracking force from the cartridge manual (1.8 grams) and set the anti-skating to 1.8. Easy peasy. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
After I mentioned it I couldn't find it. Then I got distracted :) I did finally find it (along with my overhang gauge which I had lost track of as well). Then I realized I'll never use it....just not curious enough to buy another cartridge.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis