i need help with some oldish speakers and amp

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
i tried putting inside the hole, but it doesn't stay there(lol), i tried unscrewing a bit and smashing the cables by screwing back, but it didn't seem right
They are not supposed to screw out completely. I bet when you unscrew them you will find a whole to poke the wires through. And then you screw down on the wires to keep them in place.

You are not supposed to poke the wires in the holes in the end. They are to take banana plugs, which is another way of connecting the speakers.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
also i was wandering if something like this would deliver a good sound experience https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91z7kUSqBmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg, if it'll work whatsoever
They are not supposed to screw out completely. I bet when you unscrew them you will find a whole to poke the wires through. And then you screw down on the wires to keep them in place.

You are not supposed to poke the wires in the holes in the end. They are to take banana plugs, which is another way of connecting the speakers.
so should i poke the wires in or not, i get that i can do it, but will it get a good conection?
so after that i've to test it, is there any setting i've gotta mess with or is it just plug'n play, my input selector nob broke out, but i will try to work my way around it
i still wanna know if something like this would work https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91z7kUSqBmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg,

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

so should i poke the wires in or not, i get that i can do it, but will it get a good conection?
so after that i've to test it, is there any setting i've gotta mess with or is it just plug'n play, my input selector nob broke out, but i will try to work my way around it
i still wanna know if something like this would work https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91z7kUSqBmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg,
I have no idea if that would work. I have no idea what that unit is or your application.

If you don"t understand, then get the banana plugs and place them in the ends.

You can not poke the wires down the end holes, no. However if you look when you screw back the plastic terminals you should see SIDE holes, smaller ones. Those you do poke the wire though and then tighten the plastic caps down on the wires.

It is bad news you broke the selector knob. Was it just the knob, or did you break the shaft of the control?

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
I have no idea if that would work. I have no idea what that unit is or your application.

If you don"t understand, then get the banana plugs and place them in the ends.

You can not poke the wires down the end holes, no. However if you look when you screw back the plastic terminals you should see SIDE holes, smaller ones. Those you do poke the wire though and then tighten the plastic caps down on the wires.

It is bad news you broke the selector knob. Was it just the knob, or did you break the shaft of the control?
kay yeah i tried to do exactely what you said before, but i didn't actually try it out, and i think... the shaft... is actually broken. I was hoping i could make it turn by any means

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
This is sounding more and more like it should be sent off to the recycling center...

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
This is sounding more and more like it should be sent off to the recycling center...
tho you might not be wrong, so i tried dooing that thing that guy said to do up there with the cone connections, i took out a knife and a old dvd player and hooked it up, at first it was working normally, so i tried twisting the the remais of the nob with a knife and it work perfectly, no force needed, just twist the knife and choose the input so i tried video 3 which is the front inputs, i plugged the audio pllugs in and the video to the tv and ... No audio, so i tried switching the speakers connections to front B since i knew those at least were capable of making the speaker make static noise, so i tried agn and no sound. Actually no no, i just remembered that when i tried to play it with the speakers conected to those cony things, it would turn on and go to protect mode after a couple of seconds, so i conected the speaker to front b but no sound, so i decided to try one of the back inputs for the DVD player, connected it, got another av cable to test teh video pass through as well, but once i turned it on the front display was dim, and it went to protect mode soon after i turned it on, so i started to panic and completely disconnected everything from the unit, so i tried turning it on agn, but the display was even dimmer this time, and it kept getting worse everytime i tried to trun it on, it has got to the point where i can see the display is trying to do it's best but only some L R symbols barely light up, and i can see it's going to protect mode as well, since changing the speaker of choice make a switch noise, and i can tell when it goes into protect mode when it does not do that sound anymore when i try to change the selected speakers and it also does a louder click when going to protect mode.
Just when i hadfound a solution for the reason it was scrapped at the first place, my dad only told me he scrapped it cause the nob broke off.
when i finally find a solution, more problems kick in, this sucks

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
i can make a video trying to explain better the situation

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
okay nother update, i gave it a bit of time and the screen is back, allittle bit dim if i say so myself, but back nonetheless. I noticed that if leave it on with nothing conect to it it will stay on for as long as i want it to, but as soon as i try to turn on the pluged the device it goes into protect mode, after that it doesn't matter if i disconnect everything from it it will go to protect mode after a couples seconds of being on. If i leave it for a while it will go to that state where as long as nothing is conected to it it will stay on

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
okay i want a final verdict, i wanna know if it's beyond saving, or if i should keep it and try to fix it

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

okay i want a final verdict, i wanna know if it's beyond saving, or if i should keep it and try to fix it
My guess is that you made improper speaker connections and it is now beyond repair.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
kay i have new hope
I grace you with my not warmed english voice, that sounds of questionable age, but i digress, i'd like to point out that the unit is capable of keeping it self on when nothing is pluged in, but as soon as i plug something in it will go into protect with no exceptions, i'd like to hope that it's just a capacitor that has gone bad, or isn't keeping it's charge for long, when i turn it on with something conected to it, the screen slowly dims, but if i click one specific button it's lits it self up imediatellly, and then starts to dim it self once agn, as if that sole button recharged something isn't the unit

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
also, i'm pretty sure this video pass through probably is nothing big, i mean, nothing that should give me a lot of hope, but at least i know that this thing is not completelly broken

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

also, i'm pretty sure this video pass through probably is nothing big, i mean, nothing that should give me a lot of hope, but at least i know that this thing is not completelly broken
Well, I'm sorry, but I can't fix that from here.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@peuga I'd trust you have far less experience than TLSGuy (most everyone does) let alone knowledge/tools to do much about what you're telling us about. I'd just junk it unless maybe use it as a project for learning about testing/repairing electronics.

Only other suggestion I can think of is if your unit has a full factory/microprocessor reset routine to try that, otherwise what you can do as a non-technical consumer is relatively meaningless.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
@peuga I'd trust you have far less experience than TLSGuy (most everyone does) let alone knowledge/tools to do much about what you're telling us about. I'd just junk it unless maybe use it as a project for learning about testing/repairing electronics.

Only other suggestion I can think of is if your unit has a full factory/microprocessor reset routine to try that, otherwise what you can do as a non-technical consumer is relatively meaningless.
i mean if it's just a capacitor or something similar, i know people who would do it, but if it is a specific component that was specific to this receiver, then i should scrapp it already

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis