I need help setting up my system?

M

modenar1

Audioholic Intern
first of all i would like to say i am new to this forum, this is my first post. but i have been reading this forum for quite some time, and i can see there are many educated people here with audio video knowledge.

i want to set up a stereo system in my house. here is the criteria i wish to follow:

- the stereo system will only be used for music, and music only.
- i want my stereo to be able to power only a pair of front speakers (but able
to power 2 more front speakers) i will sometimes want to have 4 speakers, 1
in each corner of the room for even a more superb sound for parties.
- i want the reciever to have digital inputs
- i dont need anythin else extra that i dont need.

also i would like to provide alot of power to these 4 speakers. are there recievers that can handle 200watt rms to all my 4 speakers, or will i need a seperate amplifier for that? which amplifiers would you recommend.

all your inputs and ideas will be greatly appreciated.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome.

Before I, or anyone else can make good reccommendations to you, it is essential that you provide a budget for your setup.

That said, I am reccommending against placing your speakers in corners. This will lead to poor, "boomy" bass.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Receivers with that kind of power simply aren't practical in your situation, to expensive. Why do you need digital inputs?

M

modenar1

Audioholic Intern
thanks for the tip on speaker placement.

my budget i really havent thought about, but dont want entire system exceeding $1000 thats including reciever, cd player and speakers, but then once again i am lookin only for a 2 channel reciever (since it will only be used for music) with a subwoofer preout (if needed later) and digital inputs. thats basically what im looking for.

M

modenar1

Audioholic Intern
i want digital input so i can send digital signal from cd player to amplifier for maximum audio quality. rather send digital signal than the regular R+L analog connection.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Again, why digital inputs? If you are using just a cd player why fuss with the digital? You could find a cheaper preamp on ebay for around $100 and a Carver or Adcom 4 or 5 channel amp for around $300-400. That would leave you with only $500 for speakers. What speakers do you have in mind.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The only difference between using a digital connection and using the analog were the DAC is located. The DAC in the CD player, what ever you get should be fine. You will not find a setup for under $1000 that has a digital input and the power you want, not even close. I don't think you will notice a difference, unless you want to see a difference (people often convince themselves that something sounds better than something else because they want it to. Like Monster Cable, for the most part there is no audible difference between Monster and Acoustic Research's cheap cables.)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
modenar1 said:
i want digital input so i can send digital signal from cd player to amplifier for maximum audio quality. rather send digital signal than the regular R+L analog connection.
Honestly, with modern components this doesn't matter. But if you find you prefer one over the other, then more power to you.

As for a strictly stereo receiver, I can think of one option that would work very well, but it's on back order and it's more than half your budget. If you're intersted, it can be found here:

http://outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

The majority of your budget should be put into speakers. The first thing you should do is go out to the local hi-fi shops (if you have them) and audition some floorstanding speakers to find what you want, or at least get an idea.

As for a preamp, you might want to look in the used section at AudiogoN.

http://buy0.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?preatran&1&ctg&st1

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
What is the purpose of the system? Just for parties and loud music, or will you take some time and soundstage your speakers and set up a sweetspot. If you don't want to soundstage and won't be sitting down with the lights dim to listen to some music, then I wouldn't go buy bookselfs but rather Cerwin Vega floor standers or MTX PA floor monitors (which don't hurt the pocket book to bad and they can scream)

M

modenar1

Audioholic Intern
ya this will be mainly used to listen to music in just 2 channel format. front R+L speakers, but for parties would like to add 2 more speakers for the rear of the room to fullfill the sound.

or do you guys go against that and say that i should just get a pair of really good front speakers and just put better components behind it.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Really good speakers is a perspective. With a $1000 budget, for me, I would get a pair of bookshelf speakers and a descent integrated amp and source for a small stereo rig. I would have it for the intension of listening to music privately and I would sit in a sweet spot and do absolutely nothing else but listen.

Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, and that is not what you are likely looking to do. So if you give a more detailed discription of how you will listen to music, how often, and what you might do while listening can help us to better evaluate the situation and enable us to come up with a system in your budget that best suites your needs.

M

modenar1

Audioholic Intern
wow, this is more complicated than i thought.
ok the type of music that i listen to is all over the place, i listen to anything from classical to ambient to electronic to hip hop. i listen to a little bit of everythin.

to simplify my question i guess would be, whats the best system i can put together with a $1000 budget.
i need reciever, cd player (dvd not needed), speakers, and a integrated amp if needed for more power.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Personally, I would grab a cheap Yamaha, Denon, HK etc etc stereo recevier and some decently efficient towers.

How big is the room? If it's huge, it going to be hard to fill with sound.

Something to note, Old school 3/4way speakers make great party speakers, and usually have decent amounts of bass. I have a pair of Pioneer HPM-100s that still rock.

SheepStar

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

If it's complicated at all it's just because there's so much good stuff out there to choose from!:D Given the ubiquity of receivers and the relative rarity of integrated amps, I'd say a receiver is the way to go. There're many good models that would meet your needs for under $200 new (you do live in the US, correct?). Used could be a great option, too. If you shop Audiogon, or eBay, being careful to stick to those with good feedback, you can get really nice clean used stuff for $.20- $.50 on the dollar. All the big manufacturers release new models yearly, or even more often. So the previous model used is usually a great deal, especially since you don't need or desire all the newfangled bells & whistles.

If used makes sense with amps, it's doubly true with speaker. There's more to go wrong with electronics, but speakers are generally very very safe buys used. Provided they haven't been abused, and are modern models with rubber surrounds or new foam, you should get many years out of them.

It's hard to recommend specific models. The Athena line is a great value, even new. You could probably get 4 towers and a decent receiver for about the $1000 you cite as your budget. Alternately, you could buy a bit nicer reciever and speakers now, along with a nice entry CD player and add a 2nd pair of speakers down the road. You'll be much happier with one good pair than two mediocre pairs.

Do a bit of reading here at AH, then check out Audiogon. Look for prices of the stuff that interests you. One note, though- Agon tends to deal mostly in higher end stuff. You may not find much for mass market stuff there. Ebay is a better place to find those brands. But be very careful on ebay! Stick to sellers with a lot of good feedback.

Yes, there's good deals on new gear, but don't overlook the used market. Just like with cars, there's a lot to be said for letting the first own take the big hit from depreciation!:D

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

A couple last notes: four speakers, one in each corner, might be good for party music, but it'll be a lousy way to set up your rig for serious listening. And if you want 200 watts per channel you'll probably need an amp. But that's an arbitrary number anyway. You can probably get buy very happily with 1/2 to 1/4 that amount of power.

M

modenar1

Audioholic Intern
for serious listnein i would only use the front 2 channels, but its for parties is when i will connect the other 2 speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis