I need help, and no sales person will

A

Ad Rokk

Audiophyte
Ok obviously I am an extreme rookie, I just booted by Awia Mini system to the curb and Purchased a New Receiver. It is a Sony 80watts per on 5 channels. Now my question is I found a pair of older speakers that say 130watt max, got a great deal on them so i could pass it up. Here is my question "since it is 80w per channel, 5 channels, Is my receiver a 400 watt receiver?...if it is can I hook up those 130 watt speakers, and compensate with another pair of lower watt speakers to make up for the left over watt?"
This may be the dumbest question ever, but every salesperson I call is just trying to get me to buy more stuff from him. Any response would be much appreciated. Oh money is a slight problem, I can afford electronics but not at thousands of dollars a clip.

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
No, each channel is 80 watts. That's it. You really shouldn't be worried about power ratings. What you SHOULD worry about is the impedance of the speakers.

Paul

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
The 80 watts per channel is just that.................80 watts per speaker,whether you have 2,4,or 5 speakers hooked up. In fact, it'll be less than that, especially with a Sony. So you'll be fine with the speakers you mention. You'll probably risk more damage to the speakers trying to turn up the volume up beyond the point of distorting the sound.

N

newtoitall

Junior Audioholic
ad rokk

Your receiver is rated at 80 watts per channel and you can't ( that I know of )use any more than 1 speaker per channel.
With the speakers you have now hooked up to your left and right front outputs, you still have Three 80 watt channels, 1 for the center and 2 for the left and right rears, if you want to go the home theater route.

Frank

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
newtoitall said:
Sorry guys
I'm slow on the draw.

Watt ratings on speakers mean little. It is a general guideline. you don't have leftover watts.

you drive the speakes with the amp, a nice listening level might be using 10 watts. really loud you might be using all 80 watts. The rear speakers won't require quite as much power.

The end result is you can use those speakers without a problem. Just don't turn them up too loud because you can still hurt them even though your receiver is only 80 watts.

A

Ad Rokk

Audiophyte
Hey

Really, you have have all been more than helpful. Any questions I have in the future I won't hesitate to ask, while trying to build a respectable sound system.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Ad Rokk said:
Really, you have have all been more than helpful. Any questions I have in the future I won't hesitate to ask, while trying to build a respectable sound system.

As was asked, do you know what impedance the speakers are? And, also of importance is its senitivity, how loud it will play with 1 watt power.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
mtrycrafts said:
As was asked, do you know what impedance the speakers are? And, also of importance is its senitivity, how loud it will play with 1 watt power.

Who cares! the poor guy just doesn't want to blow the cones out of his woofers!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
MacManNM said:
Who cares! the poor guy just doesn't want to blow the cones out of his woofers!

Why would he??? Get real.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis