I need an amp/preamp/receiver for a pair of Cerwin Vega XLS-215

• Thread starter rodrigomorenoibarra
  • Start date
R

rodrigomorenoibarra

Audiophyte
I bought a pair of XLS-215 from Cerwin Vega, and I need some suggestions for the power.
I really enjoy the power and the bass, but I´m not an expert so I need your advices and suggestions.
I'm not sure if I can find an 2.0 channels "integrated amp" to run succesfully XLS-215, or maybe I'll need a "Power Amp" + "integrated amp" to make it.
I´ve thought brands like Denon, Marantz, Rotel or Arcam.
I could have a budget USD$1K- $2K

Thank you for your help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A pre-amp and power amp would be a better way to go than an integrated amp and a power amp (in that the amps in the integrated are useless in such a situation and thus a waste of money). What kind of sources and how many will you be hooking up to play music with? Digital or analog sources? Both?

R

rodrigomorenoibarra

Audiophyte
Thanks.
Only CD player and streaming music.

R

rodrigomorenoibarra

Audiophyte
Yeah, I would like the preamp to provide a DAC, actually i´m thinking in a power amplifier Rotel RB-1590 with 350 watts (2 channels) + integrated amplifier Rotel A11 Tribute with 50 watts (2 channels).
Do you think is enouh power for the XLS-215 or is too much??
Or do you have another suggestions??

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As I said combining an integrated amp with a power amp is just a waste of money on the integrated amp....just get a pre-amp/processor instead and hook the power amp up to that. How loud do you want? Keep in mind CV probably overstates sensitivity a bit I'd probably reduce their spec by 4-5 dB for comparison's sake. Try using an spl calculator like the Homestead one perhaps. Also keep in mind while the XLS215 have big woofers, they're really not subs.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’d expect a regular avr to power them fine add a subwoofer.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think 200 watts should be more than enough unless you're sitting 25 feet from your speakers or something. What kind of distances/room size are we talking about?

Spec sensitivity for those speakers is 95 dB. We'll assume HD is correct about inflated specs and call it 90 dB. Punch that into this calculator along with seating distance to give you an idea.

200 watts will give you 103 dB at my seating distance of 14 feet. That's pretty darned loud, but I s'pose you could shoot for more if attempting reference levels. In which case you have to double amp power for another 3 dB. Again, that's at 14 feet. I have no idea what your seating situation is.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’m not sure what’s best avr with pre outs or a preamp and amplifier combo , whichever you like more. ??
Bass uses more wattage, good for music don’t think those duel 15” go under 38hz.
Probably loads of mid bass punch

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m not sure what’s best avr with pre outs or a preamp and amplifier combo , whichever you like more. ??
Bass uses more wattage, good for music don’t think those duel 15” go under 38hz.
Probably loads of mid bass punch
Due to economy of scale good midrange avrs have the advantage in pricing in most cases, and usually come with a full set of preouts so you can add an amp if you want down the road. A lot of folks just can't get past using an avr as a prepro for music and "wasting" the internal amplification and spare channels for just a stereo setup.

Then there are the golden eared subjectivists who swear avrs are audibly inferior for music despite the lack of evidence to the contrary. That just muddies the waters and confuses newcomers who don't understand audio fact from fiction. The golden eared are very committed and I think most of them really believe it, but will almost always decline or to actually demonstrate the truth of the claim when pressed, or just excuse and handwave. Then continue to make assertions that are not supported by science in any way. It really is just like taking a faith based position on something.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis