I need a sound system!

D

dudeperfect

Audiophyte
Good day, everyone.

I'm planning to update my sound system. Now I have old Philips FB 330 speakers with amplifier.
The purpose of new sound system would be loud, a lot of bass and clean as much as possible sound for music in parties(at home and backyard, it would be perfect if you could feel the bass and power from 30 meters from the speakers). I don't know whether amplifiers are still worth attention, cause I saw some independent speakers with amplifiers integrated in it.

So, my budget is between 1000-1500 $
Also it should be able to connect speakers to pc somehow.

Please offer me something, thank you :)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
30 meters from the speakers is quite a requirement, even for a pro system. Add feeling the bass to that and you're into some serious bucks.

You might want to rethink your needs, particularly with that budget.

You could do a decent indoor two-channel system for that, but outdoor? Fugeddaboutit.

D

dudeperfect

Audiophyte
30 meters from the speakers is quite a requirement, even for a pro system. Add feeling the bass to that and you're into some serious bucks.

You might want to rethink your needs, particularly with that budget.

You could do a decent indoor two-channel system for that, but outdoor? Fugeddaboutit.
How much should I pay for speakers like I asked for? :D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
you also need a gigunda amp to drive those speakers. One of these might work.

https://proaudio.com/catalog/ashly-klr-2000-2-channel-power-amplifier-2-x-600-watts-at-4-ohms.asp

A couple of these might help but dunno about feeling that bass. It should be loud, though.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JRX225?adpos=1o1&creative=55686218521&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CN-8t5apjcQCFUpp7AodZRcAIQ

That's a bare bones setup that might come close to meeting most of your desires. It may not be hi-fi but it should be loud.

If you want more bass, google "bass bin" and be prepared for another amp to drive them.

Oh, you'll most likely want some sort of preamp to control the volume without hovering on the computer and adjusting the frequency response.

Last edited:
D

dudeperfect

Audiophyte
Talking about that bass bin, do I need to look for a specific one, or I can connect pretty much anything to this system?

Maybe you can recommend something specific, cause I googled in ebay, and their price really varies. Do I need an expensive one if I buy the amp and speakers you mentioned?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You just need big speakers and a powerful amp. The bigger and more powerful the better.

Use these for examples. Remember, ofttimes you get what you pay for. Stick to known brands.

Remember, getting deep, loud bass is very expensive. It's easy inside but outside it's very difficult.

D

dudeperfect

Audiophyte
And how about preamp, never heard of it before, where it is connected? To the amp? What's its purpose?
Talking about outside, I can place it in corner, so it should help a bit? :D

D

dudeperfect

Audiophyte
These toys look too fancy for me actually. Maybe you understood me wrong. I'm not experienced at all with these things, best for me would be to turn everything on, set volume, select type like rock/pop/classic and etc and then use pc to play it. If it is possible, I would like to stick with that simple.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well, you MIGHT be able to plug your computer directly into that amp* and control everything from the PC and the two level controls on the amp.

But, with what you specified (loud from 100' away with lots of bass), you sort of have to go for this kind of system.

You can't go off-roading with the big boys with only a Smart Car

* Assuming the 'puter has enough power to drive it.

D

dudeperfect

Audiophyte
But that cool preamp would help me if I don't know how to use it?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
They come with instructions and it isn't all that complex.

That's what the instructions are for. You just have to take some time to read them.

That's how things were done before the internet.

I was given an hours worth of training by our church on one of these and then thrown to the wolves. That one you've got there is child's play. ...and I was 56 at the time.

4800.jpg

Last edited:
D

dudeperfect

Audiophyte
So this system, wouldn't be decent outside right? If yes, then maybe I can live with that and use it for inside only, cause I never thought it is so challenging to make it good outside. This same system would be OK for inside? Or I should see something other? I would like to mention that cheaper would be better also, I made 1500 as a maximum point, but It would be OK if I find good enough system for 750 or 1000 dollars.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Time for decisions. That would sound awful inside.

Getting good sound outside follows different rules than getting good sound inside.

Like I said in my first post, for that money you can get a really nice two channel indoor system.

Like John Sebastian once said, "Time to go home, son, and make up your mind."

D

dudeperfect

Audiophyte
I like your quotes :D
So, can you offer me a system for indoor with this budget, and then I will decide. (Even indoor, I would like to have a lot of bass)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If your listening indoor, you want indoor speakers. If you want outdoor speakers you need commercial speakers. These two do not walk hand in hand.

There are forums out there that deal specifically in commercial audio. I myself am no expert on commercial audio but word around the campfire last I checked is that the QSC K12 powered monitors are among the best at your desired price. They're simple to use, have huge power, and if you don't like the bass you can add a subwoofer, but chances are the K12s will surprise you. I do not recommend them for indoor use unless you think permanent hearing damage is cool, because that is exactly what you'll get if you use them inside.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis