I must be a WinISD Pro dumbie

D

deraeler

Enthusiast
dummy part 2

I'm trying to use WinISD Pro Alpha v0.50a7 to aid my design of a dual SWS-12 sealed enclosure which will lay flat and not exceed 6" in height. I'm hoping this will lead to a good recommended enclosure size/spec. I can go up to 26" a 42" Length x Width.

I confess to being a noob here. Using this software I can only use some of these params - I get errors otherwise. I'm using what you listed in this thread ...see below:

No. of Drivers = 1
Fs = 24 Hz
Qms = 3.56
Vas = 149.6 liters
Cms = 0.375 mm/N
Mms = 117.3 g
Rms = 4.967 kg/s
Xmax = 31 mm
Xmech = 42 mm presuming this is "Xlim" ?
P-Dia = 259.8 mm presuming this is diaphragm diameter "Dd" ?...
Sd = 530 sq.cm
P-Vd = 1.643 liters don't know what this corresponds to ??
Qes = 0.515
Re = 3.7 ohms
Z = 4 ohms presuming this is "Znom",
BL = 10.6 Tm
Pe = 600 watts
Qts = 0.45
no = 0.387 %
1-W SPL = 88.03 dB
2.83-V SPL = 89.4 dB

The Earthquake SWS-12 isn't in the WinISD database, so I'm manually defining the driver in WinISD.

After messing with this for hours I got it to work using most (but not all) of these the values, I had to let the program compute the others.

I guess it doesn't mater that I'm missing some....?
ie: The magnet diameter and magnet depth are unknown - I can't enter these on the Dimensions tab, and Earthquake doesn't list them anywhere.

I didn't really trust this so I went back and used the standard WinISD beta, and eventually got to the point where I can actually compute box dimensions.

According to this tool a 3.5 cu ft. enclosure would seem to be optimal for a single 12" driver. Again, I can't be sure this is accurate given what I noted above. Does this seem reasonable?

Assuming these numbers are at least in the ballpark, do I need to account for the "cabin gain" in a car by tweaking these numbers somehow?

Assuming I can get far enough that I have a reasonable single driver enclosure computation, how would the numbers above need to change to spec a dual-12" driver box?

Long & short - I don't have the room to build a 7.2 cu. ft enclosure (dual driver) in my car. Can anyone help me come up with a reasonable size that maximizes sound quality? How can I use this tool to optimize the dimensions? I really don't care about SPL, btw....just fidelity.

Thx for any help -

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis