davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Seems to be the go to phrase at the beginning of every sentence these days. Not race or gender specific. Looks like it has taken the place of You Know. I mean if you are going to say it I assume that you mean it right? :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My favorite beginning word in sentences these days is "so". Haven't noticed "I mean" all that much....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
“I mean” and “So” come and go. “Um” is forever.:p

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Guilty of using many of these Verdinut linked, I admit I need them even though more in foreign languages. I use "so" quite, quite often. French becoming my third language taking over Italian and German, I've noticed "alors" is at the beginning of my every sentence and even further down the line after every pause... It helps me concentrate.

I remember learning English in my elementary, the professor even said that the English start many of their answers with "well" and advising us to do so. Teaching you to develop a habit, eh?

"Look", "listen", "if I may" and "with all due respect" come often.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
"Filler words", which clearly indicate that such a person has never had any formal training nor education in the art of public speaking. When you do go down the path of public speaking, you learn early to remove these fillers from your speaking.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Sooooo..... Wait....... for a second...I mean....ummmmm. .... and yeah!!!!! So there!!!!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I do it. Now I'm self conscious about it. :( Granted, that's only said in response to something. Starting a sentence that way without any lead in is weird.

Happy Friday!!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
"Filler words", which clearly indicate that such a person has never had any formal training nor education in the art of public speaking. When you do go down the path of public speaking, you learn early to remove these fillers from your speaking.
I have gone through public speaking in college...twice (my TA was not good). I still find myself using those words just by habit and talking to most people they seem "relaxed" when using informal language.

I can turn it on if I need to, but I've had people literally tell me not to use "big words" so they could understand me. I was a bit slack jawed when he said that. :oops:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have gone through public speaking in college...twice (my TA was not good). I still find myself using those words just by habit and talking to most people they seem "relaxed" when using informal language.

I can turn it on if I need to, but I've had people literally tell me not to use "big words" so they could understand me. I was a bit slack jawed when he said that. :oops:
Dang, that is funny. If someone uses a word that I don't understand, then that is a compliment on them! And, I will either make a note to look it up later, or ask them on the spot to help me understand the meaning. Granted, rule #1 for public speaking is, Know Your Audience, so you should already know which vocabulary is appropriate.

There is nothing better than insulting someone with words that they do not understand! That's a double insult......go educate yourself so that you can understand the insult you just received, lol.

Yeah, I used to compete in speaking events in high school. Using fillers often is guaranteed to keep you out of the running for winning any speaking event.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Dang, that is funny. If someone uses a word that I don't understand, then that is a compliment on them! And, I will either make a note to look it up later, or ask them on the spot to help me understand the meaning. Granted, rule #1 for public speaking is, Know Your Audience, so you should already know which vocabulary is appropriate.

There is nothing better than insulting someone with words that they do not understand! That's a double insult......go educate yourself so that you can understand the insult you just received, lol.

Yeah, I used to compete in speaking events in high school. Using fillers often is guaranteed to keep you out of the running for winning any speaking event.
I had a college professor who had a vocabulary so far better than the class, it inspired the class to develop questions for the professor using words no one would use in a common conversation; yet, the professor processed those questions like a hot knife cutting a stick of butter. The bottom-line is do not talk down to an audience, speak to them using the vocabulary that you have developed from your work at being a communicator which says you are worth listening to.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I had a college professor who had a vocabulary so far better than the class, it inspired the class to develop questions for the professor using words no one would use in a common conversation; yet, the professor processed those questions like a hot knife cutting a stick of butter. The bottom-line is do not talk down to an audience, speak to them using the vocabulary that you have developed from your work at being a communicator which says you are worth listening to.
Right, rule #1, Know Your Audience

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
All professors I've had has a vocabulary far above the average student, it's part of why they're qualified.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Guilty of using many of these Verdinut linked, I admit I need them even though more in foreign languages. I use "so" quite, quite often. French becoming my third language taking over Italian and German, I've noticed "alors" is at the beginning of my every sentence and even further down the line after every pause... It helps me concentrate.

I remember learning English in my elementary, the professor even said that the English start many of their answers with "well" and advising us to do so. Teaching you to develop a habit, eh?

"Look", "listen", "if I may" and "with all due respect" come often.
In Canada, many people who answer in an interview with a TV news program host, start with "Écoutez (Listen)" and that really annoys me. Who would not listen to someone he is asking info from?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis