I may have found my new projector...if it wasn't DLP

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
This is what I've been waiting for. Well, at least from a specs perspective it sure looks like what I've been waiting for...except that it's DLP.

Last edited:
CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Looks good for gaming. I was considering getting a projector a year ago but I read a lot of stuff about how there not great for gaming so I held off. Agreed, from a specs perspective it looks like it would be prefect for some ps5 games.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not sold on JVC being the way to go with their singular DLP model. JVC was getting close to the $3,000 price point with their X590 (RS440) model in LCoS, and then they shot up to $6,000 to get your foot in the door. Sony had their 45ES model under $3K for years, then also abandoned that market segment.

I'm hard pressed to really believe that they will significantly outperform BenQ while using the EXACT SAME DLP ENGINE that BenQ and Optoma are using in their projectors, while charging $1,000 more to do so.

It still will likely be one of the best performing DLP projectors on the market when it is finally released. Their NX3 is well reviewed. But, well reviewed, and popular are two different beasts. It needs to actually outperform the competition, and there is a fair bit in the DLP arena, as well as the very good contrast that is delivered from the Epson models around that price point.

I'm a HUGE fan of JVC, but I'm a LCoS fan for them. For DLP, I will typically go with BenQ as the first choice.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not sold on JVC being the way to go with their singular DLP model. JVC was getting close to the $3,000 price point with their X590 (RS440) model in LCoS, and then they shot up to $6,000 to get your foot in the door. Sony had their 45ES model under $3K for years, then also abandoned that market segment.

I'm hard pressed to really believe that they will significantly outperform BenQ while using the EXACT SAME DLP ENGINE that BenQ and Optoma are using in their projectors, while charging $1,000 more to do so.

It still will likely be one of the best performing DLP projectors on the market when it is finally released. Their NX3 is well reviewed. But, well reviewed, and popular are two different beasts. It needs to actually outperform the competition, and there is a fair bit in the DLP arena, as well as the very good contrast that is delivered from the Epson models around that price point.

I'm a HUGE fan of JVC, but I'm a LCoS fan for them. For DLP, I will typically go with BenQ as the first choice.
I think my brain made some assumptions. I don't think the articles I've read call this out as being a DLP model, but it apparently is.

I don't want another DLP projector so I was wrong. Damn I wish they would release a lower end 4k LCoS model that I thought this was.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think my brain made some assumptions. I don't think the articles I've read call this out as being a DLP model, but it apparently is.

I don't want another DLP projector so I was wrong. Damn I wish they would release a lower end 4k LCoS model that I thought this was.
Dare to dream! Seriously. Sony's 45ES was easily the best 1080p projector I think that existed on the market for under $3,000 ever. At $2,000 it was a steal for the quality. It was also DEAD silent in low power mode while still able to deliver a 120"+ image size.

I don't believe that Sony or JVC are interested in the sub-$3,000 market at all, and the NZ30 is just their way of allowing some custom integrators to capture some JVC $$$ when their clients can't afford the good stuff.

Personally, I often steer people towards Epson at the sub-$3,000 price point. Then the jump is harsh to get to the nice Sony and JVC models right now.

There has been a lot of trickle down in recent years. Seeing a $5,000 Sony laser 4K projector would have been unheard of just a few years ago. Would set you back $30,000 for similar quality. But, the headache is that is where they seem to want to stop. If Sony were to adjust things downward next year and give us a X4000 for $3,000, with native 4K and a laser light engine, it would completely change the front projection landscape IMO.

Sorry to have burst your bubble on this one.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Dare to dream! Seriously. Sony's 45ES was easily the best 1080p projector I think that existed on the market for under $3,000 ever. At $2,000 it was a steal for the quality. It was also DEAD silent in low power mode while still able to deliver a 120"+ image size.

I don't believe that Sony or JVC are interested in the sub-$3,000 market at all, and the NZ30 is just their way of allowing some custom integrators to capture some JVC $$$ when their clients can't afford the good stuff.

Personally, I often steer people towards Epson at the sub-$3,000 price point. Then the jump is harsh to get to the nice Sony and JVC models right now.

There has been a lot of trickle down in recent years. Seeing a $5,000 Sony laser 4K projector would have been unheard of just a few years ago. Would set you back $30,000 for similar quality. But, the headache is that is where they seem to want to stop. If Sony were to adjust things downward next year and give us a X4000 for $3,000, with native 4K and a laser light engine, it would completely change the front projection landscape IMO.

Sorry to have burst your bubble on this one.
It's OK. I'm not really in the sub $3k market so much as I'm not in the $6k+ market.

I get that they're moving forward with tech, but I have no need for a projector that does 8k e-shift. I just want a good 4k projector without a lamp.

That new Sony model has my interest though. The 5000ES is much closer to the price point I'd like to be at, and appears to have the features I want.

I'm in no hurry yet, but I'm still keeping my eye out for what's "perfect" for me.

EDIT: As much as I used to not like the LCD projectors, I may have to give Epson another look. I just hope my sensitivity to screen door effect has lessened over the years. I used to not be able to watch them at all.

T

TracieEaton

Audiophyte
This is what I've been waiting for. Well, at least from a specs perspective it sure looks like what I've been waiting for...except that it's DLP.

Thanks for the link. I really appreciate you for helping me out. Now, I would like to help you by sharing the https://studyclerk.com/thesis-writing website with you. If you are not so good at writing thesis assignments then you can take help from that website. I have also taken help from that website several times and they never disapointed me.
I like it.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It's OK. I'm not really in the sub $3k market so much as I'm not in the $6k+ market.

I get that they're moving forward with tech, but I have no need for a projector that does 8k e-shift. I just want a good 4k projector without a lamp.

That new Sony model has my interest though. The 5000ES is much closer to the price point I'd like to be at, and appears to have the features I want.

I'm in no hurry yet, but I'm still keeping my eye out for what's "perfect" for me.

EDIT: As much as I used to not like the LCD projectors, I may have to give Epson another look. I just hope my sensitivity to screen door effect has lessened over the years. I used to not be able to watch them at all.
If you can get past the screen door effect I wonder if the new laser Epson 12000 or 11000 would be what your looking for.

That's probably my next go to after my 6050 wears out. Although that could be awhile I'm sure by the time that 6050 bites the dust they'll have something else just as good on the market

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If you can get past the screen door effect I wonder if the new laser Epson 12000 or 11000 would be what your looking for.

That's probably my next go to after my 6050 wears out. Although that could be awhile I'm sure by the time that 6050 bites the dust they'll have something else just as good on the market
Maybe. I need to see one in person before I buy though. The last Epson I looked at was horrible to my eyes, but this was a decade ago so I'm sure things have improved quite a bit.

Native 4k and laser light source are my main requirements, so right now JVC and Sony are at the top of my list.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You might do some heavy digging to see what the word is on PJ reliability.

In my experience, I’ve sold about 20 brand new JVC projectors in about 2 years period. About 8 of them (lamp and laser) had malfunctions from 2 month - 12 months after purchase (one NX9 required repairs after 2 month of purchase).

I know because every time a repair is requested from the client, I get a phone call from the JVC service rep in New York to confirm that I did sell those JVC. We’re on a first-name basis (don’t want to mention his name). :eek: Although he seems like a really nice person, that’s a lot of phone calls that I never want to get. :D

I’ve been using PJ since 1992. My $10K SharpVision PJ lasted about 12 years (lamp literally exploded). My $6K Optoma failed 3 times in 3 years - piece of crap. My $3K BenQ lasted about 5 years until I replaced the original lamp, then it was never the same again. So far Epson has been great, so hopefully Epson is extremely reliable, especially with Laser (fingers crossed).

I’ve never had any experience with Sony PJ, so maybe Sony is also reliable.

I don’t know if there is any consumer reports of PJ Reliability. Would be nice to have before spending $18K on a JVC NX9 and needing repairs after 2 months.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe. I need to see one in person before I buy though. The last Epson I looked at was horrible to my eyes, but this was a decade ago so I'm sure things have improved quite a bit.

Native 4k and laser light source are my main requirements, so right now JVC and Sony are at the top of my list.
I think the technology has improved so much they're is a strong possibility you don't see it at all.

That 6050 really does put out a beautiful picture I've been fortunate that I don't really have issues like some do with any of the projectors. Luckily DLP or LCD don't affect me at all like they can for some

Your local to me right? How far away are you from San Antonio? If it's not too far I could PM you have you come by and watch some content on my projector see if the newer Epsons are more agreeable to you then the old ones are

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

P.S. at Bjorns they have a open floor 4k Sony model for a really good price you might want to swing by and check it out

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
P.S. at Bjorns they have a open floor 4k Sony model for a really good price you might want to swing by and check it out
That's exactly what I was planning to do once I get to the point I want to purchase.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You might do some heavy digging to see what the word is on PJ reliability.

In my experience, I’ve sold about 20 brand new JVC projectors in about 2 years period. About 8 of them (lamp and laser) had malfunctions from 2 month - 12 months after purchase (one NX9 required repairs after 2 month of purchase).

I know because every time a repair is requested from the client, I get a phone call from the JVC service rep in New York to confirm that I did sell those JVC. We’re on a first-name basis (don’t want to mention his name). :eek: Although he seems like a really nice person, that’s a lot of phone calls that I never want to get. :D

I’ve been using PJ since 1992. My $10K SharpVision PJ lasted about 12 years (lamp literally exploded). My $6K Optoma failed 3 times in 3 years - piece of crap. My $3K BenQ lasted about 5 years until I replaced the original lamp, then it was never the same again. So far Epson has been great, so hopefully Epson is extremely reliable, especially with Laser (fingers crossed).

I’ve never had any experience with Sony PJ, so maybe Sony is also reliable.

I don’t know if there is any consumer reports of PJ Reliability. Would be nice to have before spending $18K on a JVC NX9 and needing repairs after 2 months.
That is a good point. My current Mitsubishi is about 12 years old, but hasn't been used in a year or so. First lamp lasted 3-4 years, but I literally used it every day for at least a few hours. The second lamp is still going, but it's really showing it's age at this point.

I think the only JVC products I've ever owned are Kenwood car decks, and those have been good. Obviously not in the same category as the projectors though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis