I know what I want - I need advice on how to do it

G

gtfooh

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>The end result I'm looking for is this - I want to transfer all my music cd's to a hard drive, have a software application allow me to select a playlist and then pump it through a multi-channel receiver so I can select which room or area I want to hear it in.

Sounds easy enough but where do I start / Thanks.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Sounds easy enough but where do I start [/QUOTE]

The first step involves some decision making. &nbsp;How much hard drive space do you have available? &nbsp;Are you going to be using a commercial hard-disk recorder, or are you going to use a PC? &nbsp;Do you want to maintain the full quality of the original CD's, or are you willing to sacrifice a little quality in return for more efficient use of the available hard drive space (in other words, do you want to save the files in a compressed format)? &nbsp;Tell us a little more about what you want to accomplish, and I'm sure someone can make some suggestions on how you can accomplish your goals.

Chuck</font>

G

gtfooh

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks Chuck. To answer your questions - I have a ton of drive space as this PC will be dedicated to the system. I planned to use the PC itself to write the music to the hard drive and as far as compression, and quality of sound, I kind of figgured I would have to compress, I'm estimating 1000- 1400 songs, so if need be I'll sacrifice a little quality for quantity. That being said, am I moving in the right direction ? Is a multi-channel receiver (as I put it) what I sould be looking for ? and what about the software I'll need to transfer, house and call up the data ? Thanks again to all.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis