I know nothing about amplifiers...

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Which one and model would you recommend for under $600 and why? I already know about the Outlaw 5000 but want to know about others. The Outlaw weighs 50lbs, not sure I could support it.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The one you refer to is 5ch...is that what you require? Similar power/impedance capabilities?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
That 5 channel is nice. Helps make it good for the future. Right now my surround speakers are small but who knows what the future holds. Want a good one now for my mains but not adverse to a 5 channel. Size is important....just want a good one. Reliable and not too hot running. Speakerman39 recommended the Outlaw but I wanted to know more.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I thought you said you probably didn't really need one? :) One way to find out. If mainly concerned about 2ch use I'd just consider a 2ch amp...probably the Crown XLS1502 personally. That should help you figure out if you need more than your avr at a fairly high power level for the $. Forget if Phil linked the review, so fwiw https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/outlaw-5000

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What exactly is wrong with the sound of your speakers that makes you want an amp?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Since he is making the distinction between want and need, I suspect there is nothing wrong with the sound of his speakers - as then he would "need" an amp.

Want reasons I can think of for buying an external amp:
1) Assurance that you have more than enough power. I shuffle speakers around and like knowing that I have power to spare for any normal speakers.
2) Relieving the heat load from the AVR - All things considered, a $600 amp that can take some or all of the load off of your AVR's amp section is a worthwhile thing! In the case of Denon/Marantz, their ECO mode definitely cools the AVR down and if you have external amps, there is no concern of an audible effect from it.
And assuming a 7 - 10 year life for the pre-pro section, he should get this relief on two, maybe three AVRs.
3) if you have two units that can act as pre-pros, you can compare settings via a simple A/B input selector (choosing which pre-pro feeds the amp). For example, I plan to run some trials with and without Audyssey. I don't trust any comparisons that require a delay to switch wiring, and this affords level matched instantaneous switching between the two conditions.

I think it is great that we save people from wasting serious money on expensive amps that will do nothing for their sound, but just because we have a really great hammer doesn't make everything a nail!

The one you refer to is 5ch...is that what you require? Similar power/impedance capabilities?
I think the Outlaw 5000 is actually very competitive as a 2 channel amp!
Per the AH review, it produces 170WPC into 8 ohms and 230WPC into 4 ohms.
Aside from pro audio gear, at $600, not many amps can beat that.
Additionally, as Good4it mentioned, the 5000 also provides great flexibility, should needs change, with the honest 135WPC X 5 channels.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
In retrospect, I would have done things a bit differently. In terms of my electronics budget last October was 2.5k. I would have put my 2k into just power amps alone. Even though it's way overkill for my purposes and space. And put 500 in to a cheaper processor. Reason being, from the research I've done amplifier technology does not change nearly as fast and all of the new sound formats like atmos & dts. Weather it's a crown or an emotive XPA, I slightly regret not putting my $ into just amps alone. With that been said, I do like my 720 & will keep it for as long as it lasts.

But as KEW said, "I think it is great that we save people from wasting serious money on expensive amps that will do nothing for their sound, but just because we have a really great hammer doesn't make everything a nail! "

But that's just my subjective opinion as it stands now.

J

jsc1979

Junior Audioholic
You can get 20% off the monolith 7 today. Saves $320.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I’m a little confused. I understand that the amp uses L/R speaker outs but what kind of cable connections go from the pre amp to the amplifier? My RXA1050 only has 3 pre amps (L, R and CENTER) right?

J

jsc1979

Junior Audioholic
Each channel(speaker) will have an rca or xlr interconnect that goes from the avr to the amp. I use blue jeans lc1 cables.

You will have to see what pre outs your receiver has.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I’m a little confused. I understand that the amp uses L/R speaker outs but what kind of cable connections go from the pre amp to the amplifier? My RXA1050 only has 3 pre amps (L, R and CENTER) right?
RCA or XLR cables. Your RXA1050 has an RCA pre-out for every channel. So, if you wanted to bypass the receiver's internal amp and send the signal to a power amp, you can easily do so.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Thanks, I think.

On a picture of thr back side of the amp it shows 2 outs to each speaker but only 1 in from the pre amp. What am I missing?

J

jsc1979

Junior Audioholic
Yup, one rca/xlr in and then your speaker cable out.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
RCA/Xlr is 2 on one end going into one “stereo” plug on the other end?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis