I JUST PURCHASED A HSU ULS-15 MK2!!!

A

Adam Kelly

Junior Audioholic
I just purchased a HSU Research ULS-15 MK2. Will eventually buy another but have a few other pressing things and also the holidays. I have been using a B&W ASW 1000. It is a 12 inch ported subwoofer with a 120 watt amp. What can I expect going from one to the other in terms of the biggest differences?

According to B&W these are the specs:

Frequency Response: ±3dB 25Hz - 40/140Hz adjustable response * Low-Pass filter:Active 4th-order, variable cutoff frequency 40-140Hz * High-pass filter (Line level):active 3rd-order at 80 Hz * High-pass filter (Speaker level):passive 1st-order at 80Hz into 8 ohm resistor (response using speaker level connections dependent on satellite impedance) * Sensitivity: 90dB spl (2.83V 1m) * Design – Magnetically shielded 12” diameter high excursion woofer seated in a Flow-ported 70 liter cabinet with built in 120 Watt powered amplifier * Power output:120W continuous * Signal/Noise:90dB * Input Impedance:22kohms * Functions: Input Level Phase 0/180 -Low-pass filter frequency -1x 300mm (12in) dia long-throw with magnetic shielding * Dimensions: … Height: 460mm (18.1 in) … Width: 540mm (21.3in) … Depth: 500mm (19.7in) * New Weight:30kg / 66lb

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
First of all, congratulations!

As far as what to expect it's hard to say. You bought a bigger, more powerful sub but you're going from ported to sealed. I think you'd notice a bigger difference going with the ported VTF-15H. What made you go with a sealed sub this time?

A

Adam Kelly

Junior Audioholic
For my space and listening preferences I decided to go sealed. I like the sound a little better and am not looking for lots of tactile bass or things rattling in my condo. I actually have the port somewhat closed off in the B&W with a makeshift solution.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Congratulations. Hard to know what you can expect, not familiar with your expectations (let alone specifics of your setup and your spl/extension goals) :) I think it has the very good possibility of being a better sub, tho :)

SwedishChef

SwedishChef

Junior Audioholic
I recently picked up two of these and have been happy with them. I have been very surprised at how well they integrate, and how subtle-yet-impactful their contribution can be. I hope you enjoy yours!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
For my space and listening preferences I decided to go sealed. I like the sound a little better and am not looking for lots of tactile bass or things rattling in my condo. I actually have the port somewhat closed off in the B&W with a makeshift solution.
Gotcha. Well, it's a very good sealed subwoofer and I think you're going to be happy with it. It has a lot more power than the one you replaced. Again, congratulations on your new sub! I love the feeling of waiting for new audio gear!

M

mach250

Audioholic Intern
I've been very happy with my dual VTF-3 Mk5 setup, thinking about getting two more if another deal comes around.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis