I Just got invite for Google Music Beta...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Plenty of reviews online, I basically agree - it's called beta for a reason :rolleyes:
Trying to learn it now

jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic
I just got invited as well, I had been using audio galaxy, but am trying google music as I type. Uploading 250 albums in FLAC is taking a while, but the sound quality seems good, and the android app is pretty nice.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I just got invited as well, I had been using audio galaxy, but am trying google music as I type. Uploading 250 albums in FLAC is taking a while, but the sound quality seems good, and the android app is pretty nice.
I didn't know flac is support, nice to know. thx

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I got in a few days ago....seems pretty good so far. I wish they would release more technical details about whats going on in the background. Their web interface is very nice but their Android app is very poor when compared to Subsonic. I'm sure this will get ironed out though. I would say subsonic is vastly superior at this point, but having said that it is not cloud based and is dependent on you having a central server and having half way decent upload speed on your home connection. But Subsonic is also free.

Other services such as this that I have used and still use include...

Subsonic
Which is a Java based streamer for Music, and Video. Amazing in every way and I cannot say enough about it. Amazingly good Android client, and web interface.
Free
Setup and configuration difficulty - Easy

Ampache
Basically a plugin for Apache that uses PHP, MySQL, and Apache. Excellent open source project but the Android clients are lacking (Lulaby, Amdroid). Has the ability to link multiple remote libraries over SSH, ie you your friends, ect can all share the same library.
Free
Setup and configuration difficulty - Very Advanced

ORB
A total POS with very poor Android Client and horrible web interface.
Free to Try

Google Music Beta
Very good so far, streaming is instantaneous even over 3G. Web client is excellent, Android client is ok but is sluggish when compared to other solutions. Lack of information in regards to transcoding leaves much to be desired.Questions I would ask Google.
  • What bitrate is it streaming at?
  • Is it just matching the files in my library with the files that Google has in their music library? And if it cannot match then uploading my files to the cloud?
  • If so is the desktop client transcoding my high bitrate files to another format before it uploads them to conserve bandwidth?
  • When I choose to make music available offline what bitrate is it saving the files as?
Free

If anyone wants to try these services out just shoot me a PM and I will set you up an account.

Last edited:
jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic
I'll have to check out subsonic... the thing I love about these solutions is the amount of space it can free up on your phone by not having the files on your sd card, unless you are on a road trip and lose data coverage...

Edit.... Subsonic wants $40 for streaming to your phone.... that is a little steep.....

Last edited:
krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I'll have to check out subsonic... the thing I love about these solutions is the amount of space it can free up on your phone by not having the files on your sd card, unless you are on a road trip and lose data coverage...
Thats the beauty of Subsonic and now Google Music. Both have the option to cache certain content locally. But AFAIK neither will transcode the content to a bitrate of your choosing...I have a feature request in for this for Subsonic though.

If anyone wants to try out any of these services just PM me and I will set you up with an account.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
"We're Sorry, Google Music Beta is currently only available in the United States."

Grumble grumble......

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
"We're Sorry, Google Music Beta is currently only available in the United States."

Grumble grumble......
Dude your a Frenchie Canadian and nobody likes you....get used to it. :p

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
An update on this....

Google Music is shaping up quite nicely, the Android application is much much better than it was. Very smooth and fluid. I love the "Instant Mix" feature for the web browser application that instantly makes a random list of songs from similar artists and plays them, I only wish the feature was available on the Android app.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis